Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS cuts out at 135kmh

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi guys, sorry for the new thread but I overtook someone on the M1 last week and the car would rev out and not go faster than 135kmh.

I'm no psycho rev head so I wasn't noticing what gear the auto was in but It was weird and worrying tbh.

Anyone have any idea?

PS while I got you, what's the best tuning for VE SS in Sydney? Is it Sam's or Max's or something, possibly at Croydon?

Appreciate any help.

Thank you.

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
PS this is my beast...

20211205_200009.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm no psycho rev head
If the M1 has finally returned to it's 110kph speed limit, doing 135kph would still be 25kph over the limit as a best case scenario which will see you in a bit of strife if caught. But if your doing 135kph in a section of the M1 that is still at 80kph, you'll be in a world of hurt if caught (and even worse if its a 40kph section of roadworks :eek: )

Doing >=45kph over the limit is considered a serious sanctionable offence that will see your car impounded for considerable time (3 months, 6 months or even loss of vehicle depending one what you've done in the past). If that occurs, expect to learn how good or bad pubic transport is :p

And I'd say if you're caught doing >= 45kph over the limit, most non car people wouldn't have any sympathy for you and they'd indeed consider you a phsyco rev head :rolleyes:

I overtook someone on the M1 last week and the car would rev out and not go faster than 135kmh.
One also has to wonder whether you'd have bothered to slow down on reaching 135kph if the engine hadn't had issues, in which case even with a posted 110kph limit you may have been in "vehicle sanction" territory if caught :eek:

My advice, just ease off a little on public roads and take the car to a race track along with your diagnostic tool and see what the car thinks the issue is.

That'd be a wiser move than you becoming news on how some phsyco rev head tool wiped of a family going about their business because said phsyco rev head tool plowed into them at speed :rolleyes:

PS: disclaimer, i've been a bit of a rev head tool in the past but learnt not to behave that way at a time when road rules weren't so punishing. These days people have to learn much quicker than i did back in teh day of almost open roads.

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
If the M1 has finally returned to it's 110kph speed limit, doing 135kph would still be 25kph over the limit as a best case scenario which will see you in a bit of strife if caught. But if your doing 135kph in a section of the M1 that is still at 80kph, you'll be in a world of hurt if caught (and even worse if its a 40kph section of roadworks :eek: )

Doing >=45kph over the limit is considered a serious sanctionable offence that will see your car impounded for considerable time (3 months, 6 months or even loss of vehicle depending one what you've done in the past). If that occurs, expect to learn how good or bad pubic transport is :p

And I'd say if you're caught doing >= 45kph over the limit, most non car people wouldn't have any sympathy for you and they'd indeed consider you a phsyco rev head :rolleyes:

One also has to wonder whether you'd have bothered to slow down on reaching 135kph if the engine hadn't had issues, in which case even with a posted 110kph limit you may have been in "vehicle sanction" territory if caught :eek:

My advice, just ease off a little on public roads and take the car to a race track along with your diagnostic tool and see what the car thinks the issue is.

That'd be a wiser move than you becoming news on how some phsyco rev head tool wiped of a family going about their business because said phsyco rev head tool plowed into them at speed :rolleyes:

PS: disclaimer, i've been a bit of a rev head tool in the past but learnt not to behave that way at a time when road rules weren't so punishing. These days people have to learn much quicker than i did back in teh day of almost open roads.
As I said it was just an overtake move to get away from an obvious non-confident driver. Probably sat at 135 for about 4 seconds until I realised then backed off instantly.

Also it was in a 110 zone. Also it was about 1130pm at night.

So basically, you can't help me except that little "holier-than-thou" lecture.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have heard of a similar issue with a Barra swapped Merc van, where it would get to 100 KPH and that was it....No faster.....

Turned out to be something in the tune with the taco....The taco was saying max revs, yet it wasn't....I believe the tuner turned the taco off or adjusted it in the ECU which solved the issue

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I will plead guilty to short bursts of up to 140kmh on the M1 to get past a line of traffic that can't stay on a consistent speed.
Yes, I have put faith in the invisible man in the clouds that nothing will happen, and I will not be pinged, so far.

I can't help with why you can't get higher than 135kmh, but my thoughts are ......... you have car that screams "cop magnet !! " .........even at 112kmh in the 110 stretches.
I have driven past parked NSW cop cars in our grandpa spec Territory at 120kmh and been ignored ............ but QLD speed cameras are a different case.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
not a blocked fuel filter is it? not enough fuel under load???

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As I said it was just an overtake move to get away from an obvious non-confident driver.
Hm, there was no mention of a non-confident driver in your original post but that’s still no excuse.

And if you’re pinged, the excuse “I was just overtaking” just doesn’t cut the mustard.

So basically, you can't help me except that little "holier-than-thou" lecture.
Maybe read what I wrote again and realise the following was intended to help you…

Also, its worth you realising that if a helpful criticism that comes from a random on the www rubs you the wrong way, just imagine how you’d feel while looking at the face of a rather disapproving police officer as he arranges a tow :p

Then read my PS and again read my comment I quoted above ( going to a track with some diagnostic tools ) and realise there was some help offered. Pity you couldn‘t see it :rolleyes:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
135kph sounds like a coms error or something along those lines, if engine has been tuned then they will be able to fix it up easy or if it is stock then will be something on the GM canbus telling it to limit there and may be a silent code for it or tuner will be able to run it up on dyno and see what triggers, or someone has done it on purpose