Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS right hand side front end knock

barryswanson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I have a VE SS ute and have put a set of king springs super lows in it.
When I go over speed humps and some pot holes or make right hand turns I here a knock in the right hand side front. Sounds kind of like a clunk or a loose wheel or something.

Anyways I pulled the strut out and replaced the strut bearing at the top. The clunk is still there.
Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I have searched and have found people saying its sway bar bushes, radius rods, engine mounts and control arm bushes.

My dealership doesn't want to help me because I have put after market springs in the car.
Anyone had a simular problem and how did you rectify it?

barryswanson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Thanks mate I'll look into that. Holdens really are $hit boxes aren't they.

jjcarr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute 95 V6
Sway Bar bushes are common on the VE's, (all models). then depending on you model (prior 09) i think, there isnt a isolator withing the strut. (a small rubber seal at the bottem of the spring) which stops rocks and other stuff getting stuck making the 'clunk' noise.

Start with sway bar bushes cause there is a revised part for that.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Yeah the old swaybar D bushes had the split at the base which would allow the swaybar to sneak into the gap, the new ones have the split at the front or rear depending on installation and are much more secure.

barryswanson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Yeah the old swaybar D bushes had the split at the base which would allow the swaybar to sneak into the gap, the new ones have the split at the front or rear depending on installation and are much more secure.

Would you recommend going genuine or nolathane?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Cant say Ive had any experience with the nolathane ones so wouldnt be able to give you an answer on that one.

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
ive installed nolthane and whiteline and never had any complaints

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
barry, did you do the job? if you did did you put the top spring plate back in the same position it was in originaly?. they have to go a certain way or the spring plate can come into contact with the top of the strut body.