Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Temp issue

dboghossian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.0
Hi Guys

OK the other day I was waiting at a set of lights when all of a sudden my temp gauge was through the roof and I was getting a Hot engine warning on the dash.

I pulled over and within 10 seconds the gauge returned to normal and hasn't gone back up again I didn't lose any water and the engine was running fine.

Now before this most of the time the temp gauge stayed just over the quarter mark but now it runs a little higher and sometimes dances a little (like a lie detector needle) but never rises over halfway (2-3 dashes short of halfway)

I've noticed that the engine warms up slightly quicker too but again never over halfway and I can have the car sit there running for 20 mins without it getting hot, Fans kick in at 105.C and it cools very quickly. No water leaks that I can see and no mustard under the oil cap or in the radiator.

So me thinks probably faulty sender/sensor so have that on order but don't know if I should think about changing the thermostat as well, I have heard that it's a c#$t of a job and I don't know where it's located.

Any Thoughts/ideas?

It's a 08 series 1 SS (not a AFM motor)

Cheers Dave

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
when the CTS starts to play up it can do that, they are cheap to replace also its easy and should be on the passenger side front of the head near the exhaust manifold straight unscrew and screw new one in, id say it will just be the sensor i have had a same thing happen to me when i was driving and logging so i noticed it straight away mine jumped up 4-5 deg in an instant then back, i replaced sensor and all good, id try this first before anything alse

dboghossian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.0
Yeah I have one on order I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
Most likely a sticking thermostat. Had the same thing happen recently, changed thermostat (really easy just 2 bolts on the V8 after removing cooling fans) no problems since.

dboghossian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.0
I'll try that next after replacing the temp sensor as so far I haven't had any overheating issues and even when I use a scan tool I'm not getting any faults and engine temp is still ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Spudandjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V8 Commodore
G'day everyone,
I have the opposite problem. I have a 08 VE SS. The running temp has always sat at 1/4 on the gauge, never any higher or lower. It usually takes 5 min of driving for it to reach this temp. But the last few days the gauge hardly moves off the cold mark. After 40 min driving it gets to maybe an 1/8 on the gauge. The heater works just fine, so I was wondering what it may be? I thought maybe the thermostat is staying open??
Cheers Spud