Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Ute AFM not dropping Cylinders?

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
It could be something really simple, like a loose plug on the valley to the DOD solenoids.
If you have the time, I wont charge you anything. You have an unusual problem, it would be nice to fix it and add to the knowledge base.
Alright, do you run your own shop in sunbury or something do you? If I was to bring it in would probably have to be a weekend, if it's a tuning/computer problem is that something you're able to fix also? Thanks

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Alright, do you run your own shop in sunbury or something do you? If I was to bring it in would probably have to be a weekend, if it's a tuning/computer problem is that something you're able to fix also? Thanks
I'm retired, I have plenty of time!
Weekends aren't a problem, and I work from home, only problem is if someone regular decides to bring their car around...
A tuning/computer problem? That's what we need to find out. The car goes, so you know the ECU is working pretty well.
If its been 'tuned', I may not be able access the areas to re-enable it.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I think the whole range went L77 in 2010, before that its was L76 in auto's and L98 in the manuals.

I have a friend that has a 2009 Calais, with L76 and that had AFM, that's when I first learned of AFM.
I had to drive it back from picking up a car for a family member he purchased, and that's when I first drove a AFM car,
I liked it that much, that's when I thought, I would like one myself, that was back on 2013,
So I found my 2012 Sportwagon with 17,000 k/ms on it [ex GM car from Fishermans bend], bought it, and its now done 141,000 k/ms,
the rest is history. I sort of figured. it was the last of the big bangers, so I have hung on to it.

Last edited:

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
I have a friend that has a 2009 Calais, with L76 and that had AFM, that's when I first learned of it AFM.
I had to drive it back from picking up a car for a family member he purchased, and that's when I first drove a AFM car,
I liked it that much, that's when I thought, I would like one myself, that was back on 2013,
So I found my 2012 Sportwagon with 17,000 k/ms on it [ex GM car from Fishermans bend], bought it, and its now done 141,000 k/ms,
the rest is history. I sort of figured. it was the last of the big bangers, so I have hung on to it.
Weekends aren't a problem, and I work from home, only problem is if someone regular decides to bring their car around...
A tuning/computer problem? That's what we need to find out. The car goes, so you know the ECU is working pretty well.
Alright sounds good thanks, should be able to sort out one weekend and fingers crossed that it's something simple

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
Have you gone into the config menu and check that it will show 4cyl mode when activated,I have a Caprice and I can turn that on and off in display if that makes sense however you should also be able to hear a dull exhaust note when switching between the 2 modes,also is it possible for you to message the previous owner and just ask if it’s had anything done to the afm,also lsxtreme can turn off the afm and so I would assume turning it back on as well and they are in ballarat,takes very little time to do and only cost $100, I looked into turning mine off however I usually get 9 or better per hundred so decided to leave it on ,
Hope you sort it out
Cheers

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
Have you gone into the config menu and check that it will show 4cyl mode when activated,I have a Caprice and I can turn that on and off in display if that makes sense however you should also be able to hear a dull exhaust note when switching between the 2 modes,also is it possible for you to message the previous owner and just ask if it’s had anything done to the afm,also lsxtreme can turn off the afm and so I would assume turning it back on as well and they are in ballarat,takes very little time to do and only cost $100, I looked into turning mine off however I usually get 9 or better per hundred so decided to leave it on ,
Hope you sort it out
Cheers
Yeah it's turned on to show the mode on the cluster, with cruise set on a flat road it seems to sit between 8l-10l/100km instant fuel not sure if that sounds right or not with afm off. A very slight hill and it will go up to maybe 13l.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
Yeah it's turned on to show the mode on the cluster, with cruise set on a flat road it seems to sit between 8l-10l/100km instant fuel not sure if that sounds right or not with afm off. A very slight hill and it will go up to maybe 13l.

That’s basically what mine does except it shows 4cyl mode on dash,on a nice flat road mine will sometimes show 4-5

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
That’s basically what mine does except it shows 4cyl mode on dash,on a nice flat road mine will sometimes show 4-5
Yeah haven't seen mine drop under 7.5 or something so mustn't be working

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Thanks for the info, I'll mainly just drive it to work where the speed limit is 100 most of the way, I'm tying not to drive it too hard and look after it, I give it a bit every now and then but drive sensible mainly. Unsure if I'll modify it at all probably no time soon so guess it may be a good idea to try get it back on might save a few litres through the week just sucks that it's not on when I bought the car, only had it for 5 days. Seems jerky/jumpy when i put my foot down giving it a bit of power unsure if that's normal for an auto v8 but will probably get a good service done and see if it's smoother
The transmission shift in mine (vx) can be like a punch in the chest on kickdown at 80-90 if lve been coasting allong regulary to acheive 8.7 ltr/100 aircon active.. But if l change my driving to more stop start 0- 80 the shift adjust to limmit wheel spin etc. Its the smart technology in action, in some circumstances. If it can be powered up (4 cyl) with a tech 2 a auto elec could charge $130p/h. It takes my auto elec 30 min to check over mine.

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder

Hey mate I was quoted by Geelong performance centre $220 to turn it back on and that's without them looking at it so could be a 5 minute job for them who knows, am I better off bringing it out to you before I do that? If it's a matter of reactivating it are you likely to be able to do that or were you more likely to fix it if it's something loose did you say? Thanks