Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS vs VE SS-V

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
I looked at both.

Couldn't justify the extra cash, and wasn't fussed with the holden leather. And I can't handle the scratches on the seats in older cars.

I would probably up grade the stereo anyway in both. Believe or not I prefer the style of the 18 inch wheels over the standard 19's on the SSV. 18's are cheaper on tires as well, and lets face it no matter what tyres you get on a V8 they ain't going to last.

I do however highly regard touch points in a car, thus the steering wheel and gear stick I have replaced in my SS as they are the main touch points.

Also I do believe the SS is lighter than the SSV not sure by how much though.

Having said all of that I did go in a SSV wagon 2 weeks ago and really noticed how much classier the interior looked, I was the passenger. The main highlights were the better looking dash and the leather door cards.

My mate has a black SSV with the red high lights and that's way to loud inside for my liking, but he can't stop raving and always makes mention how happy he is with his SSV, like it's from another planet.

Got back into mine as the driver and couldn't care less about the surroundings in the car.

I'm going to use the coin I saved on a MAF less tune and later may be work on the suspension and handling a bit.

The only thing that really sh*ts me about the SS is the illegible instrument cluster during the day, the white on gray is illegible.

I have 2 options with that replace the cluster, I have seen after market jobs or get a auto electrician to get the back lights to come on during the day with out having the headlights or parker lights on.

Such an over sight on the engineers behalf.........

Anyhow had my rant, one just has to go with they're gut feeling's.

Giving the choice again I would still get the SS over the SSV.

I was looking at doing the same getting an auto electrician to make the instrument cluster light up in the day.
I don't like having the trip computer showing the digital speedo. I prefer to have it showing avg speed and fuel.
I love my SSV Sportwagon but the white on grey instrument cluster would be my only critisism.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Hi all,

At the time of looking into the SS or SSV as a potential buy i read all the reviews done on them as it was near the time of release of the VE.

I even observed this site numerous times to see what the early feedback was. (Great site great forum)

In my opinion the SS is as Wheels mag said; "Great bang for your buck."

I do not own one but I have mates that have them... They are basically the same as the SSV as long as you dont take too much notice on the inside..

Same powerful V8, same transmissions, pretty much the same good handling and reliabilty, the SS is a few (100 or so) kg less so may go a bit quicker, it has an air con, mp3 cd player, good power, good handling good brakes good comfort what more do you want!!
Added bonus its come from the factory in Aus i reckon!! (and better than the opposition any day!)

Fair enough I reckon if you are a real driver and that is all but I wanted a finished or close enough to it finished car...

The SSV got me with the added extras - mainly the Climate Control and especially Outside temp function, the big LCD screen, the "premium" audio system, the dodgy looking but better than nothing sports oil pressure and volts digi gauges, projector headlights, and the cool tail lights, the Leather seats colour coded, and leather sports steering wheel, the dash layout, the 19" 5-spoke alloys the only style i like, the 6 airbags, electric seat, and the option to go gps which i did..
Plus the other stuff i cant remember now.

To me the SSV is a finished car (yes i know the sound system is still not that good compared to the Pioneer amp and subwoofers and all those speakers you put in and you need 2 batteries now to run it!!!!!) but for everyday use I am happy with it and so is, the MRS, the KIDS, ya Mates, their MRS, their KIDS, :yeah: the old man and yourself and everyone in betweeen!!

I have never got a bad comment about my car - even from Ford lovers, they still cant deny how awesome a car Holden have made...

So anyway thats just my opinion probably because I dont have enough time to modify it too much otherwise i would have changed half of it but then if i expected Holden to put great quality stuff in it i would have had to pay like 100k so am pretty happy with the quality i got so far!

In regard to tyre question, my mates SS came out with Yokohama eary this year, and actually I just put 2 Michelin Pilot Sports on the SSV to try them out, 1 less ply in tread and wall but higher rating on temperature i think, and treadwear 220 (although i think this is only comparision within Mich brand to their nominated tyre??) but bridgey were 140 treadwear. price was comparable but got mich for $310 not bad i reckon they have more curved shoulders but look good will see how they go!

Hope this helps as long as your are happy with your purchase it doesnt matter!

I am soon t be a proud owner of one of these VE SS V puppies , picking her up up Friday, the only two criticisms I would make is that the to complete "whole package" it needs reversing camera and sat-nav :) Now that would attract alot of buyers

As for safety - I would have thought that VE SS V would have the "reversing camera" fitted as standard, especially when you have little rugrats and safety is paramount, that's me as perhaps I am setting my standards too high, but at the end of the day, family comes first

How much is the reversing camera from Holden ? Does it connect via the LCD screen and where is the reversing camera mounted on the car?

Last edited:

oscarmanalpha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS wagon 6 man
I was looking at doing the same getting an auto electrician to make the instrument cluster light up in the day.
I don't like having the trip computer showing the digital speedo. I prefer to have it showing avg speed and fuel.
I love my SSV Sportwagon but the white on grey instrument cluster would be my only critisism.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the SSV in Voodoo had a blue cluster, but from what your saying they don't. Is the only difference the SS and V8 embossed under the speedo and tacho ?

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Brilliant - got email from my dealer which he apologized to me about that the spare alloy wheel does not come as standard and getting it at no cost :) Told him that all SSV models have spare alloy wheel as standard - very happy about that

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
You need to be a bit careful with a spare alloy. the guy across the road bought a VE SSV and asked for the spare to be a full sized alloy. He did get a full sized alloy spare, but it wasnt the same wheel as is on his car - it was an 18" calais alloy.

Also, a good name for this thread would have been "To V or not to V..." lol

I think the issue of an SS or SS-V in the series 2 cars would be more interesting, as you get the touch screen and climate control on the SS now. If i understand it correctly, you get sat nav and reverse camera on the V series.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
You need to be a bit careful with a spare alloy. the guy across the road bought a VE SSV and asked for the spare to be a full sized alloy. He did get a full sized alloy spare, but it wasnt the same wheel as is on his car - it was an 18" calais alloy.

Also, a good name for this thread would have been "To V or not to V..." lol

I think the issue of an SS or SS-V in the series 2 cars would be more interesting, as you get the touch screen and climate control on the SS now. If i understand it correctly, you get sat nav and reverse camera on the V series.

Love to know whats the series II VE SS V wagon costs with all on roads $60,000+

Did the guy check the spare wheel @ delivery of the wagon at the dealership?

Seriously why have a spare 18" wheel if your wagon is running on 19" wheels - beats me

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Not that it should matter, but he got a sedan. He did check the wheel at the dealers, but they told him that what you get is what you get. He did option the 20" wheels though...

His previous SSV had the stock 19's and from memory the spare was the same as the others.

I think any series 2 is gonna cost a packet on launch. Makes the current runouts very attractive - more so that they dont have those bloody round vents inside :)

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Lovin the Wagon, it has 19" full alloy spare wheel & Michelin pilot tyre @ no cost

Got some prices for factory Stat Nav $3250 and overhead DVD player $2440 - WOAH!!

I am better off buying after market GPS stat nav style - whats the best model that fits in the compartment under the stereo