Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Alternator issues

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
So just an update, I took the battery to an auto electrician this morning to test. He told me the battery is 100% not the issue and it's most likely the alternator....
Sent a message to the company on ebay and will see what they say.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
We had the same issue and it was fixed with an update to the software.

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
We had the same issue and it was fixed with an update to the software.

Was that update for the warning light or for the battery not holding charge? I've read that some of the earlier commodores didn't turn accessories off when the car was off and drained the battery.

How much di the update cost you and how long did it take?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Also sound like the Drivers Door Actuator not making the car to go to sleep, that could be draining the battery.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Was that update for the warning light or for the battery not holding charge? I've read that some of the earlier commodores didn't turn accessories off when the car was off and drained the battery.

How much di the update cost you and how long did it take?

Not sure. Dealer did the update.
We were getting stability control warnings, regular flat batteries, starting issues.
After the software update, all good.

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
So thought I'd update everyone and for anyone who has a similar problem in the future...
I took the battery to an auto elec last friday and he confirmed the battery was 100%. I took it home and left it disconnected from the car because I was too lazy to reconnect it. Fast forward a week, I reconnected the battery expecting to have to take the whole car to the auto elec to look at and all of a sudden, the problem is gone.

My only thought of reason is that the ECU or BCM was holding residual power that was still causing the alternator to not charge the battery properly and leaving it disconnected for a week drained whatever power was left in the system.

Long story short, car seems to be behaving as normal now and back to charging at 14.4v.
Thanks to everyone for the comments/ideas.

Mitch.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would be interested in to see what Codes are still in the ECU/BCM, because they would now be historic Codes
Would you be willing to let me see ?, that all depends where in Melbourne you are.