Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV L77 issue

NiteRyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
hi,

i have a ve ssv, 3yrs ago i had to rebuild my engine after spinning a bottom end bearing. a couple weeks ago i noticed a tapping sound coming from the right side of the engine. i took it to my mechanic and he wanted to pull it down and rebuild it again but i can't afford that again atm. he said most likely it is a lifter. anyway i bought my car home and started it and the tapping noise has gone completely. i drained the oil no metal, pulled the intake off, valley plate and rocket covers off and couldnt see anything wrong, no wear on my cam etc..
i put it back together, got some cheap oil and engine flush, ran the engine for 30min and dumped the oil, this time there were small tiny metal specs but no big pieces. so i took the sump off and everything looks good, no wear marks, no metal anywhere.
my question to anyone is, should i just drive it? where did the metal specs come from? has anyone had a similar issue?
thanks

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeah mine sounded like Driver side bank down low and high but was cylinder 1 pitted cam lobe face (other side), nothing else.
Removed engine, full tear down and overhaul at 170k km.
Did you retain any oil prior to the flush like in the filter or drain pan? What about resudue from the flush?
Presumably it is still tapping else there is no problem to speak of and no clue after inspection. So I would consider high zinc (zddp) and log conditions (video would help), and send oil sample / flecks in for wear / damage analysis.

NiteRyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i cut open the filter before the flush, and the specs of metal were only found in oil after the flush.

the tapping has completely gone, i will try upload a video of the engine running just before i dumped the oil for the flush.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
Might have been blocked lifter?

NiteRyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
mid 2010

104000km

everything was freshened up, new cam, lifters, springs.

driven hard, daily. outer suburb traffic

custom tune, 308rwkw, dod delete, harrop otr, full exhaust

Jon the piss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais v 6ltr 08
Iv just bought 08 Calais v 6ltr with 160 k 3 days ago ,i have noticed a ticking sound from drivers side engine .from what iv just read im super worried the sump has been recently been off as the gasket is new and leaking? The check oil warning is on i think im in the ****, any advice more than appreciated im super pissed! !!!!!cheers.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Iv just bought 08 Calais v 6ltr with 160 k 3 days ago ,i have noticed a ticking sound from drivers side engine .from what iv just read im super worried the sump has been recently been off as the gasket is new and leaking? The check oil warning is on i think im in the ****, any advice more than appreciated im super pissed! !!!!!cheers.

With the oil warning I had had this on my my LS1 Clubby, there is a pressure switch at the back of the engine passenger side of the car (near the top of the engine but not easy to see), was quite a common problem with the 5.7 LS1. I guess a 6 litre would be similar. If you've got a ticking noise at 160,000 Km, unless it's bad, general comments you see on this website seem to be that these engines aren't quiet. I guess it comes down to if that noise is really abnormal or not. Leaking sump is a pain, hopefully it's a few smaller problems that you have and not a major one, good luck with it. See what suggestions others contribute here.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
hi,

i have a ve ssv, 3yrs ago i had to rebuild my engine after spinning a bottom end bearing. a couple weeks ago i noticed a tapping sound coming from the right side of the engine. i took it to my mechanic and he wanted to pull it down and rebuild it again but i can't afford that again atm. he said most likely it is a lifter. anyway i bought my car home and started it and the tapping noise has gone completely. i drained the oil no metal, pulled the intake off, valley plate and rocket covers off and couldnt see anything wrong, no wear on my cam etc..
i put it back together, got some cheap oil and engine flush, ran the engine for 30min and dumped the oil, this time there were small tiny metal specs but no big pieces. so i took the sump off and everything looks good, no wear marks, no metal anywhere.
my question to anyone is, should i just drive it? where did the metal specs come from? has anyone had a similar issue?
thanks
I'd look after It. With good oil, proper warm up, frequent oil and filter changes. It'll probably go for years more. If looked after...
Bearings spin due to touching the crank. Lack of oil pressure, wrong or dirty oil, overheating, over revving, wear etc. Faulty parts, poor machining or dodgey assembly can be the cause. But most would come down to abuse by the user, as above. If it died, and you plan on keeping It, since AFM delete I'd whack an LS3 in it.