Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv lifters

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
Hello everyone, i purchased a 2008 ve ssv 60th anniversary from a dealership and picked it up on friday, was lead to believe it had a noisy pulley and thought nothing of it due to being a cheap fix.

Long story short turned out to be the lifters or so ive been told by 3 different local mechanics.

I live 3 1/2 hours away from the dealership and they drove up to pick the car up and they are driving it back to fix it.

My question is, if it is the lifters driving it over this distance surely that is going to cause more damage yes? And if so is the dealership liable to fix it? Or have i just sunk 15k down the drain?

Thanks guys.

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
Hello everyone, i purchased a 2008 ve ssv 60th anniversary from a dealership and picked it up on friday, was lead to believe it had a noisy pulley and thought nothing of it due to being a cheap fix.

Long story short turned out to be the lifters or so ive been told by 3 different local mechanics.

I live 3 1/2 hours away from the dealership and they drove up to pick the car up and they are driving it back to fix it.

My question is, if it is the lifters driving it over this distance surely that is going to cause more damage yes? And if so is the dealership liable to fix it? Or have i just sunk 15k down the drain?

Thanks guys.
Mate if the lifters are worn and making more noise than usual, remembering that LS lifters are noisier than other cars, then the wear on the cam could also be a factor in extreme cases. I would be very surprised if your dealer changes out the lifters anyway, I think they will probably try a heavier oil to shut the lifters up. If your car still has the AFM lifters in there, they are notoriously noisy. My AFM lifters were showing signs of wear after only 10,000 kms on the ODO. My mechanic theorises that a lot people are using Mobile 1 oil (which I was) and that the very low friction of those oils causes hydraulic roller lifters to slide rather than roll over the cam. Its a theory, but I suppose the LS engine is no high tech marvel, and using very high tech oil could be incompatible - not sure, others might call BS on that. There is a lot of religion on the subject, however my experience over almost 10 years of owning an SSV has been to use a good synthetic like Penrite, change it frequently, and you'll be fine. Oh and I got rid of those AFM lifters and never had an issue since - and my car sees daily use and occasional motorsport. In your case, your dealer has to make good given you conditionally purchased the car on the grounds the dealer addressed the apparent issue at purchase. Hate to say this but I would have only transacted once the issue was addressed, not after - unless you got a very low price on that basis. Good luck and do not despair, worst case scenario is not that bad anyway, new lifters and cam are a few grand, otherwise the engines are very stout.

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
The ss is a manual which has the l98 motor, does that motor still have the afm lifters? I thought i read somewhere only the automatics have the afm lifters

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The ss is a manual which has the l98 motor, does that motor still have the afm lifters? I thought i read somewhere only the automatics have the afm lifters
The L98 engine auto or manual doesn’t have afm lifters mate