Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Steering Wheel - VY Commodore

@cappy@

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy calais L67
Peter russi mate any more pics ??
And is the spline the same ????

krisso93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wk statesman s2
B0B5A30A-1F46-4839-A9B5-4882D77DC403.jpeg
03F884AF-B4D6-4A16-AFF8-7B0296C3F510.jpeg
Looks like the cluster out of either a WK/WL Statesman or Caprice.

‘Cv8-R edition v2 monaro also had the same statesman 3 window cluster.
Series 1 and 2 i believe

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What’s the airbag compatibility?
Did he get the volume etc working from the steering wheel controls?

possessedwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S2 executive
Anyone got a layout or instructions on how the conversation needs to be done as i wanna do this in my vx and by can go into a vx so if ve goes into by it should go into my vx right?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Anyone got a layout or instructions on how the conversation needs to be done as i wanna do this in my vx and by can go into a vx so if ve goes into by it should go into my vx right?
It will fit the spline.

Don't know how you will go with the airbag?

If you have aftermarket h/u with steering wheel controls, should be able to get them working easily enough.

Sbmrb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve calais 3.6l
How did you all go with putting the VE/VF onto your VT-VY?

I know they fit, But anyone got a wiring diagram on how to yet?

Did you get steering wheel controls working?

I’m about to start the project and have been told I need

- Steering wheel and Airbag (VE/VF)
- Clock Spring (VE/VF)
- Cut wiring loom from harness to Clock spring plug. (VE/VF)

Anything I’m missing?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
How did you all go with putting the VE/VF onto your VT-VY?

I know they fit, But anyone got a wiring diagram on how to yet?

Did you get steering wheel controls working?

I’m about to start the project and have been told I need

- Steering wheel and Airbag (VE/VF)
- Clock Spring (VE/VF)
- Cut wiring loom from harness to Clock spring plug. (VE/VF)

Anything I’m missing?
You seem to be missing lots.
I'll try & fill you in!

The vf steering wheel is not a straight fit onto a vt - ve steering wheel shaft.
Vt - ve is inter changeable. I don't know about earlier models.

I was able to fit a vf steering wheel to a vt, by having the vt steering wheel shaft re splined for the vf steering wheel (not cheap).
On the vf airbag, l very care fully took the rear of the cover of.
Why? The vf airbag has two plugs that plug into the airbag. No matter how l wired it up l still got a airbag light that was current (means it can't be deleted with a scanner).

I thought l maybe able to get around this by install 2012 Cruze airbag (same size as the vf).

Now we are back to very carefully removing the rear of vf airbag cover from the air bag cover.
Once that was done, l removed the rear cover of the Cruze airbag.

Then removed (did l say very very carefully!) both air bags from their covers. Then put the Cruze airbag into the vf's airbag cover.
There is only one plug for the Cruze airbag.

This still didn't work. The airbag light on the dash would still light up, & when scanned the error code (if l remember correctly was 19).
I might have the wrong error code number. But what is important was that the error code was showing capacitance to high.

6 Months? later l was looking at a oem vt wiring diagram & noticed there was a capacitor in the plug that pluged into the airbag.
I had to carefully file the plug down, so l was able to plug it into the Cruze airbag.

After doing this, l took the top of he airbag plug & unsoldered the wires from the vt clockspring. Then l did the same for the vf clockspring.
Then l soldered the vt airbag plug to the vf clockspring. Put the top of the plug back on.

Put everything back together switdhed the ignition on. Of course the airbag light went of, but when l scanned the srs system l got the error code 19 (capitance to high), but a very big but, the code was in history, which means it could be cleared. And it did.

So l wonder if l could have got away with using the vf airbag with 2 vt plugs? Don't know?

Whichever wheel you use vf or ve, just remember to use the vt or vy airbag plug. Even though they are slightly different, they are basically the same , as in have the capacitor in the airbag plug.

When cutting the clockspring plug where it plugs into the clockspring from the back of the steering column cut the steering column side, leaving about 6 - 10 inches. That way you have plenty of space to be able to splice into the cars wiring system where it needs to go.

Should have no problem wiring the head unit as long as the h/u has the capacity for the steering wheel controls.
You may have add the wires?

Hopefully this is all you need to know?
If you need help, just ask.