Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve sv6 using oil

95vsspack

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs spack
my girlfriend has a ve commodore sv6 its due for 30'000km service she checked the oil was on add mark no signs of it leaking on her driveway is it normal for these cars to use oil like that ?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
yeah sure.... when was the last changed?

Some oil consumption is perfectly normal and expected.

95vsspack

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs spack
15'000km was the last service and oil changed done by holden

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
So a litre of oil in 15,000..... it's not that uncommon.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
my girlfriend has a ve commodore sv6 its due for 30'000km service she checked the oil was on add mark no signs of it leaking on her driveway is it normal for these cars to use oil like that ?

C'est normal

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Lot's of them burn oil. Mine was at the low level before each service from new. It hasn't used any since they did the ecu re-program thing.
It took them 2 years before they admitted it used more than their acceptable usage of over about 2lts per 10,000 km.
I now use the good so called full syn oils and change it between 6-8,000 km because half the prob would be using crap dealer oil and leaving it in for 15,000km so lot's will burn once it is thin and worn out. She needs to get it back so they can start the oil consumption tests. Lots of motors have been replaced under warranty.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
15,000 is a long time, she should check the oil at least a few times between services if she is going to follow the logbook 15k services.
Make sure you report the 'éxcessive' consumption when it goes in for service, and check if that program update applies to your model. As phillmac said if you are going to follow the 15k intervals you also need to use the good oil. Cheap oil and long intervals are going to kill the engine. Of course, Holden will charge you extra if you tell them you want Full Synthetic oil.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
If you haven't topped it up yet, don't. Take it to them. They do all the topping up once they start the consumption tests and there is plenty of oil in there if it shows on the stick. They just top it up a measure oil so they will know what it used from the last service but the official test will prob be started from the service at 30,000. They know about the oil sludging probs from old oil. It has killed lots of V6 motors. That's why they use the flushing chemical before oil change. On the service reciepts it also shows the new sump plug and stuff you pay for at inflated price but they don't change. What if your slack dealer is also saving $ by not flushing. I think for my cars health I may tell them to stick the dealer warranty and service it my self.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
If the SV6 is a 2011 series 2 there is a techline to resolve excessive oil use. This should correct the issue. It has corrected a number of Series 2 SV6 (and probably other V6's) with excessive oil use. The techline is basically an update for the ECM.

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
If the SV6 is a 2011 series 2 there is a techline to resolve excessive oil use. This should correct the issue. It has corrected a number of Series 2 SV6 (and probably other V6's) with excessive oil use. The techline is basically an update for the ECM.

Yep, mine would go half way down the dip stick in 3000ks, done 6000 since update has not moved off full.