Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 .vs. VZ SV6??

Rogues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Odyssey VE Calais
Gawd help us............:rofl:
For me, the looks, styling, safety, comfort, dynamics and quality are all a close second to straight line performance. I even prefer a car to handle better in corners or sticky situations than it does in a straight line.
Scotty,
you werent the engineer on the Starship Enterprise were you......??:whistling

Only gaggin sunshine,
Rogues

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Can I ask a question and shoot me down if you must... But why the **** is 0-100 and quarter mile times so important to so many? Do you all just plant your foot every time you move away from somewhere? Are you often in circumstances where covering a quarter mile as quickly as possible will be of any real benefit?

For me, the looks, styling, safety, comfort, dynamics and quality are all a close second to straight line performance. I even prefer a car to handle better in corners or sticky situations than it does in a straight line.

The reasons I will buy a VE has nothing to do with the kw the engine puts out and how fast the car can go. Sure, I won't complain about having a 195kw V6 but I certainly don't NEED swags of power for every day driving.

Where I live the roads are twisty and narrow, you only have 200 meters or so where the lines are unbroken so if you want to pass a slow tractor/truck/caravan to keep the traffic flowing safely and you don't want to die you need a fast car, anything slower than a 15.5 over the 1/4 is getting dangerous, everytime I pass a car it's foot on the floor in 2nd gear 3500-5000rpm you are fairly winding out third gear before you reach the cabin on a B double truck. It only takes a couple of seconds then and is the safest way to pass in the short distance you have, I find the V8 much safer than my old V6 on the highway

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Where I live the roads are twisty and narrow, you only have 200 meters or so where the lines are unbroken

100 kilometres an hour equals about 28 metres per second. That means you have about 7 seconds to speed up, overtake and slow down. I really hope you're driving a Formula 1 car or something because otherwise it's all going to end in tears.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You forget that you are starting at 80, 80-100 takes about 2 seconds flat another 2 seconds to pass it and jam the brakes and your done. 7 seconds is plenty long enough, that's my point, heaps safer in a faster car

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
100 kilometres an hour equals about 28 metres per second. That means you have about 7 seconds to speed up, overtake and slow down. I really hope you're driving a Formula 1 car or something because otherwise it's all going to end in tears.

greenfoam said:
You forget that you are starting at 80, 80-100 takes about 2 seconds flat another 2 seconds to pass it and jam the brakes and your done. 7 seconds is plenty long enough, that's my point, heaps safer in a faster car

Damn! Where's my old physics textbook when I need it! ;)

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Fair point Greenfoam. Still, a decent V6 will also be just as good :p

The HG 308 in the garage gets up and boogies nicely too. Cruising on the highway at 80mph and plant it and up to 100mph in no time at all... Fun fun fun!!! :D Having the HG 308 already was the main reason I didn't get the v8 in the VE Calais (as well as price).

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
........ Cruising on the highway at 80mph and plant it and up to 100mph in no time at all... Fun fun fun!!! .........

Cruising 80mph around 130kmh, 100mph around 160kmh with crap brakes
More like bloody Idiot as is known down here in Vic
The sooner your off the road the better :rip:

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
OK so in reality it's closer to 70 - 75 mph I sit on, on the highway. And on a HIGHWAY where you can see easily 5km ahead of you 100mph is NOT unsafe... Breaking the rules, yes. But not unsafe. And it was just a squirt to see what it could do... But did you also know that EVERY section of dual carriageway that makes up the Hume highway is engineered and certified safe for 130kph in the wet? Didn't think so...

And FYI the brakes have been upgraded to discs - I wouldn't want to drive it at all with 4 drums!!!

The sooner your off the road the better :rip:

Coming from a Victorian, the state which continually has the highest amount of fatalities per annum, I find that a little amusing. Cruising on the Hume at 120kph - 130kph is FAR FAR safer than hooning around the suburbs I see all too frequently these days. Actually there has been research that shows INCREASING the highway speed limits would actually LOWER the amount of accidents. I drove from Copenhagen (Denmark) to Wagrain (Austria) in April last year in a BWM 330ci and the cruise control was set at around 170kph all the way through Germany. Where are some of the LOWEST fatalities on roads? Germany...

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
yeh but pretty much most of the german cars are designed to be safe at those speeds, here in australia they are designed more for speeds up to 100 kph, around town they are quite safe, but i wouldnt like to have an accident in a commodore around 160-170

bmw's and mercedes and the like are much safer at those speeds because of the high speed limits they have to be

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
yeh but pretty much most of the german cars are designed to be safe at those speeds, here in australia they are designed more for speeds up to 100 kph, around town they are quite safe, but i wouldnt like to have an accident in a commodore around 160-170

bmw's and mercedes and the like are much safer at those speeds because of the high speed limits they have to be

What the hell??? Where did you get that information from? A packet of corn flakes?