Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve v6 turbo conversion

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Is mostly to do with the fact of no one turbos Alloytecs. If you're going to spend big bucks leave yourself options. The ones I know of were pushing medium boost @ 300kw with the stock ECU. A Motec or Vipec would be needed for big numbers or ethanol
Agreed, after circa 300rwkw a piggy back ECU is required...

Running low boost & 300rwkw isnt a major issue with the factory ECU

Most folks these days want big dyno numbers i.e. 400RWKW+++

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
300rwkw, is a pretty big number for a V6 IMHO. My cammed 6L is 314kw. Buick V6 with Raptor is around 200kw, bit more with intercooling.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
300rwkw, is a pretty big number for a V6 IMHO. My cammed 6L is 314kw. Buick V6 with Raptor is around 200kw, bit more with intercooling.
just cammed????

No CAI, Headers, zorst & tune???

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
300rwkw these days are baby numbers (but definitely great for entry to mid-level numbers for a V6)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I was running 12.4 with 266rwkw on an Eco. You're focusing on the wrong numbers, it's only 6 cylinders. If you pushed 400rwkw out of an alloytec you'd be replacing your engine and drivetrain every other week, that boosted LS would look mighty tasty to your wallet and eat it for lunch with its eyes closed

My current beast makes just under 400rwkw but it cranks out nearly 850nm, you won't get that from an alloytec before it's in pieces on the dyno. I can add plenty more power before it bothers the setup

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
I was running 12.4 with 266rwkw on an Eco. You're focusing on the wrong numbers, it's only 6 cylinders. If you pushed 400rwkw out of an alloytec you'd be replacing your engine and drivetrain every other week, that boosted LS would look mighty tasty to your wallet and eat it for lunch with its eyes closed

My current beast makes just under 400rwkw but it cranks out nearly 850nm, you won't get that from an alloytec before it's in pieces on the dyno. I can add plenty more power before it bothers the setup
One of the guys from Outlaw Speed Shop in Sth Aust., has somewhere around 400 - 500 RWKW on his V6 VE engine...

I can't remember his name - but he has done it & from memory its his daily driver....

So 400RWKW is NOT a fantasy - obviously one would need to strengthen their internals before applying such boost to get those numbers

So realistically its all about what you put into the engine....

& yes obviously being a V6 alloytech engine one would start getting up to the top end of the capabilities of that engine

But then again, remember the days when the Barra engine would do 400RWKW & it was getting to the top end of its capabilities

Barra's can now safely do 1000RWKW & still be driven daily - As goes for other 6cylinder engines.

its all about what $$$'s you spend, the research you put into the project & your expectations given the $$$$'s spent

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
V6's & V8's are like comparing Apples & Oranges

totally different ball game, totally different possibilities

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1000RWKW from a Barra? Some of the big boosted LS are only pulling 1000hp

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I didn't say it was a fantasy, especially if you own a speed shop, you have kit and skills on tap. For the average Jo it's going to swallow your wallet, so you play smart not hard. You can put what you like into it but some motors are just better at making power and holding it - that's why the LS and to a lesser extent the Eco are so popular. The Alloytec has failure points galore. There's a saying though, he with the most money wins

Nothing can safely use 1000rwkw. Safe only exists in stock, it's a word used by dreamers not doers