Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Wheel on a VF

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
Hey guys, I was in a bit of a predicament recently, with a cracked rear rim on my VF that needed replacement. So I chucked on my space saver, and am ordering a new sit of 20" rims for my car. As I drive every day and fairly long distance, the space saver isn't going to last too long, and is too impractical (80km/h limit) to use for a whole month while I wait for my new rims. So, I had a look around for a full sized wheel I could use as a spare, and some tire place sold me a VE SSV 19" wheel & tyre, which seem to fit just fine on the car, rolled back and fourth in the driveway and nothing is raising any alarms.

Just a paranoid newbie posting to see if anyone has any concerns about this, I haven't been able to find any threads about VE wheels on a VF, for the most part I understand they're interchangeable but I just want to double check with those more familiar. Maybe it's a disaster waiting to happen, maybe it's not. Thanks guys!

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
VE & VF wheels are interchangeable.

As long as it has the right tyre size and hasn't been machined to fit pre VE.

I have now been made aware that the wheel, was in fact machined to fit pre-VE o_O I had driven around for probably about 20km before finding out and didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary. I've been suggested to use bolt-ons to secure it, could that help with my situation? It was fine driving on tonight before I was aware, but I'm gonna be driving on this thing for the next month or so, and don't wanna have a wheel fall off because of my ignorance :confused:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can get a slip ring for it so it seats on the hub correctly. The centre bore takes the weight etc. The wheel nuts clamp the rotors and wheel into position.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
and some tire place sold me a VE SSV 19" wheel & tyre
The machined wheel they sold you is not fit for purpose so either get them to make it fit for purpose (by providing a ring to take up the space left by machining) or privide you with the correct wheel for the car (my preferred solution) or give you a full refund so you can go elsewhere.

You shouldn’t have to do more than go back and get them to fix their fcukup and make you whole again…

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
like this
20220212_091025.jpg

20220212_091046.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The machined wheel they sold you is not fit for purpose so either get them to make it fit for purpose (by providing a ring to take up the space left by machining) or
rivide you with the correct wheel for the car (my preferred solution) or give you a full refund so you can go elsewhere.

You shouldn’t have to do more than go back and get them to fix their fcukup and make you whole again…

How is it not fit for purpose?

By putting on a hub ring, this then allows the rim to be solid to the hub and providing the wheel nuts have the correct taper, the wheel can't fall off, or cause any damage.

Also having hub rings aren't essential, despite what is written.....Not having them isn't going to cause a stud or 5 to snap and a wheel to fall off....Refer to cars built pre 2000's or there abouts

This is also how aftermarket wheels are fitted to a car....So if this rim isn't fit for purpose, nor are aftermarket rims

It would also be nice to know, how the op found out the rim was machined out, after running on it for a few kays

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
How is it not fit for purpose?
…Also having hub rings aren't essential, despite what is written.....Not having them isn't going to cause a stud or 5 to snap and a wheel to fall off....Refer to cars built pre 2000's or there abouts…
My understanding is that where the wheel can’t locate on the hub boss, a hub ring must be used to comply with current standards. As no hub ring was supplied with the wheel, it can correctly fit his vehicle, so it’s not fit for purpose (unless he was told a hub ring must be purchased at his cost prior to sale)…

Here’s one doc that discusses roadworthy requirements around hub wheel sloppiness:

It is certainly not good practice to fit a wheel which does not have a snug fit between the spigot hole and the wheel bearing hub or axle stub. This is supported by a requirement in the National Light Vehicle Modification Code of Practice (VSB14) which is called up in Victorian legislation that states “Replacement aluminium alloy rims must be located on the hub/axle by the same diameter centre spigot as the original wheel, using metal adaptor rings where necessary”.
Therefore, if you encounter a situation where an aluminium alloy wheel does not fit snuggly on the central spigot, this is a cause for rejection in a roadworthiness test.

That was the first google hit but I’m sure other states have similar. But by all means substitute your view despite what is written.

As a side note, the fact that older vehicles were complied with older standards really isn’t relevant to later vehicles, otherwise I’d toss the cat converter and change the tune so I can get real throttle response on my 2017 commodore. But such would be rather illegal on my modern vehicle despite what is allowed on older pre ‘74 vehicles :rolleyes:
It would also be nice to know, how the op found out the rim was machined out, after running on it for a few kays
Yes that would be interesting… Maybe the wheel wasn’t well centred and oscillated up and down a little, enough to be annoying, as he drove down the road?