Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE WM stabilitrak ESP cornering issue

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The OP has mentioned he has 19X9 with a 275 tyre fitted.....

Wheel widths being thrown around with the 275 tyre being fitted are 8.5, 9 and 9.5......

Considering plenty of people on this forum have fitted this size tyre on their VE/VF's, with the varying width rims and this is the first time this issue has popped up, I doubt the rim/tyre width has anything to do with it.

I'll even mention, @RevNev seems to have a 20X11 with a 285 tyre (might be wrong with tyre size and rim width) on his VF ute and I think @panhead has a wider tyre than a 275 fitted to one of his VF's....So see if either of those 2 members have struck this issue the OP is faced with and if they did, what solution they came up with...

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Interesting so this can maybe cause the over speed on the sensors and through a alarm when corning
like Skylarking stated and upset everything does seem to add up or a doggy wheel sensor somewhere
going back to spec wheel sizes test won`t hurt for testing hey

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tire placard says nothing about the ABS/ESC firmware and any other module’s calibration file.

(The tire placard specifies which tyres the manufacture has certified for use on that vehicle variant and padt of that considers the ABS/ESC firmware and any other module’s calibration file loaded in that vehicle. In essence its a bureaucratic issue and it means you can’t simply change the placard as desired.

And if you want to buy a tire placard from a dealer for your car, they’d want the VIN so they can get the correct placard for your specific vehicle (though I’m sure some dealers simply don’t care about the regs and will sell you what you want).

Obviously you can change the wheel size based on the modification rules in force within your state and this is where confusion comes in as the rules are inconsistent regrading vehicle variant.

What’s fitted to the vehicle variant is what’s certified and if your mods go too far you’d need engineering certification.

But on this I’m sure our views differ :p and no need to open that can of worms again :rolleyes:)

Hope OP sorts it out and let’s us know what the root cause of the problem was :cool:

Honestly mate, it has already been mentioned, a 275 tyre was a factory fitament on a 8.5 rim.....Post #10 was the first time it was mentioned on here within this thread

So if it is illegal, that's something that needs to be taken up with the authorities that approved it....

Placards...The one I posted up is able to be bought through ebay....

And considering this is the first time a problem like this has cropped up with all the fitting of these rims on various cars, I would be confident in saying it wouldn't be a rim fitament issue....

As has been mentioned in a previous post of yours....Reverting back to the original rims can't hurt to see if that was the cause to begin with...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Honestly mate, it has already been mentioned, a 275 tyre was a factory fitament on a 8.5 rim.....Post #10 was the first time it was mentioned on here within this thread
Actually, 275 tires weren't a factory fitment on 8.5" wheels, 19" or 20"
Holden only fitted 275's on 9.0" wheels, HSV used 9.5" wheels.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Actually, 275 tires weren't a factory fitment on 8.5" wheels, 19" or 20"
Holden only fitted 275's on 9.0" wheels, HSV used 9.5" wheels.

...You stated in post #10 "Point I'm trying to make is the polished alloy Redline wheel (as per the OP's profile pic) was only available in 19"x8.5"."

Now they didn't have the 8.5" rim, so got me stuffed....

I'd say it's fine, to fit a 275 on an 8.5" rim and then it wouldn't be

I'd say it's not fine to fit a 275 on a 8.5" and that wouldn't be fine either

BTW, OP has 19X9 fitted with 275/35X19...He has 245/40X19 on 8.5" on the front

So the discussion relating to 275's being fitted on 8.5" rims isn't relevant to the OP's problem so I'm walking away from it all now

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BTW, OP has 19X9 fitted with 275/35X19...He has 245/40X19 on 8.5" on the front

So the discussion relating to 275's being fitted on 8.5" rims isn't relevant to the OP's problem so I'm walking away from it all now
Fair enough, but those particular Redline wheels were never available in a 9" width.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is a 275 tyre legal to fit on a 8.5" rim?

Those that have a 275 tyre at home, read the sidewall of the tyre....That'll answer the question....

I don't make it a habit of having all size tyres sitting at home with me to check out that info....I only have a few that are on my personal cars to check out and a 275 ain't one of them

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is a 275 tyre legal to fit on a 8.5" rim?

Those that have a 275 tyre at home, read the sidewall of the tyre....That'll answer the question....
What info on the sidewall should I be looking for?
RE003's don't mention anything about recommended rim width.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What info on the sidewall should I be looking for?
RE003's don't mention anything about recommended rim width.

All tyres have it on the sidewall, the recommendations for rim width....Small writing under the tyre size information.....

Just got to look for it

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
All tyres have it on the sidewall, the recommendations for rim width....Small writing under the tyre size information.....

Just got to look for it
Yeah, naah...
Lots of warnings, tread wear ratings, load ratings, but no rim width recommendations...
Checked 3 sets of 275 tires, RE003's, Nitto Invos and Toyo Proxxes.
I'll visit a few local tire shops tomorrow to get some info.