Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V 6.0 LSD upgrade for drags

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Justin Thomas, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    Hi guys,

Planning on upgrading to an LSD as my Calais as has an open diff, looking at trying to find complete unit from the used parts supplier. Diff is currently 2.92 for automatic vehicle.

I also intend on getting an OTR intake and better tyres or spare wheels for the drags. First drag last week with 2mm tread on standard road tyres 245/40 19's was best 14.00sec and half tank of fuel.

Vehicle also has Pacemaker cat back steel system. (2 owner car 70,000kms).

Have edited this post as found some good threads on ratio.

Any idea on what wheel size can be fitted to rear of this to run track tyres with tall side wall...? Say 16's 17's perhaps.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Will drag-racing specific tyres make any real difference when you're in the 14s quarter range?
    I don't know what they would cost, but could you achieve more for the same money in other areas, eg. exhaust or even a tune?

3. Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    Exhaust has been done to the extent i want to at this stage.

Wheel spin is a problem with the open LSD that will be better when changed but it would still be good to know if 17's (for example) fit the rear? over the 19's fitted.

Even if i don't fit drag tyres, i'd like options for sizes as spares... will likely want something other than my everyday street tyres at least.

My FG Falcon NA ute ran 15.5 and the difference between the street tyres and a drift associated high grip tyre was felt despite slow passes. I'm aiming to break below my 14.00 (ran twice) planned LSD plus air intake should help but tyres are helpful even if used track tyres.

You raise a good point though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  4. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Evoke's had 16's using the same brakes, so you should definitely be able to get 16's or 17's to fit … unless there's something I'm missing.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Member

Members Ride:
    2013 vf ssv wagon
    Brand new genuine 2.92 lsd on ebay for around 1250 plus delivery.Good to know what times a stock 6.0 will run,if you have traction issues maybe a tad quicker than 14.0.

6. Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    Thanks for that. Yep, book time is 13.50 sec and I have found a low kms LSD for $700 in NZ so no freight or duty tax (we get hit hard on duty tax).

The car is stock except has Pace Maker mufflers and Pacemaker resonators, exhaust system from Cat back. Large diameter probably 3inch twin pipe but factory intake. (Half tank of fuel)

Only owned the car 1 day so ran with the old tyres fitted x1 tyre 2mm the other 3mm tread.

7. vr304

vr304 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 ssv manual
    If your u want a decent lsd unit bite the bullet and get a harrop true trac mate, it’s a far superior unit to anything Holden or hsv have ever used and being a helical gear lsd it doesn’t have any clutches and springs to wear out over time

8. Hq King

Hq King Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS 2 Magnum
    How is the harrope lsd with daily driving eg noise or clunks

9. Hitman369

Hitman369 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0L
    Mine's a daily driver & I've had the Harrop Tru Trac for over 2 years & no complaints. No noises or clunks.

abuch47 likes this.
  10. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Just like a normal LSD.

11. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Or the wavetrac some have said its better.

Koya make a 17 that I think will fit over big brakes but yeah seen the evoke brakes get 16 and 17s over them. wide tyres with plenty of sidewall.

Also look at the diff gear ratio and making the ratio bigger for shorter gearing such as 3.73 although will make your wheelspin worse.

12. Hq King

Hq King Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS 2 Magnum
    Ok I have a Detroit locker in my hq and you can feel locking up not that nice in a daily driver but has proven to be extremely reliable on the strip 15 years of abuse a few axles and half dozen engines lol .A good place to start building horsepower is at the back end and move forward is what I'm saying

13. vr304

vr304 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 ssv manual
    I’ve had a true trac before also and yea they are smooth as silk, no clunks or noises but when ya wanna put the boot in there’s no 1 wheel spinning also traction and drive is better under hard cornering

14. markalan1two

markalan1two Smile and wave boys !!!!

Members Ride:
    X3 3.0 BMW, GenF2 GTS, Corolla ZR, Audi S3 Cab
    www.holmart.com.au have a look if you want complete new part (their's a 3.7 on there for $2785 or a 3.45 for $2095) or try a dismantler for second hand

Unicorn and abuch47 like this.
  15. SS Flo Rida

SS Flo Rida Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SS W375
    Im my experience steer clear of a used lsd centre and put a wave track / tru track or similar centre in it with 3.7 ratio for the quarter mile. Otherwise your constantly putting in used lsd centres and before long you’ll spend more than if you bit the bullet 1st time around. I replaced 3 lsd centres before I spent the money to do it right. All were “low kms” in perfect condition with a warranty.. One of these dropped a wheel first drive despite it being what looked a tight centre. If its a vf you’ll need to put an evoke rear brake assembly in to fit 16s on it. Good aftermarket 17s will generall just fit over factory rear brakes. Either way with the power your making traction wont be a concern even on 20s with a with a good 275 street tyre which will hook up on the strip. An open centre you may as well park up and watch from the stands. I run a wave track 3.9 ratio with 275/35r20’s which raises my final drive ratio to about 3.68 which is perfect for the quarter imo for an A6. Based on what youve said you have more easy 10ths to gain by minimising your fuel load, dropping rear tyre pressure and increasing front pressures, and removing excess weight but I wouldnt bother until you replace the open wheeler.

Hq King likes this.
  16. Hq King

Hq King Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS 2 Magnum
    Good advice .What sort of tyre and what pressure were you running ? We're you managing to hook up consistently on the street tyres what sort of times were you running with them . So many questions lol

17. SS Flo Rida

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SS W375
    Ive recently changed from 245/40r18 by 8.5 inch rims with hoisier dot radials to a 275/35r20 Kuhmo escta KU39 on 20x9.5 rear rims but havent tested them yet so Im not able to provide any objective info unfortunately for a couple more weeks.

Id suspect about 30~32 psi at rear and 52~55 psi front which is what I always run up front.

best to date is 11.43 at just a smidge shy of 120mph. I honestly reckon it’ll run in the 30’s with the new wider and higher wall kuhmo’s on it but wont know for sure until I get back to the strip in a couple of weeks.

18. Hq King

Hq King Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS 2 Magnum
    Interesting I presume you are gearing up(bigger Dia )I would have thought that you would have been better of with bigger side wall on the 18s . I am looking to get rear wheels and tires for the magnum to have a go on the strip I was thinking 18s with mts or hoisiers but not even sure if 18s will fit ?Anyway I would be keen to know how you get on with the kuhmo’s

19. SS Flo Rida

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SS W375
    I’ll let you know and will hopefully have someone there taking footage so hopefully will get a good number of passes in.

If traction on the street is anything to go by it should be good. When running 18’s or 17’s your somewhat limited for tyre choices that will fit under a vf especially if its lowered.

If your in Qld you could borrow my hoosiers on the 18’s but they’re only 245/40r18’s. Even still they never lost traction and I would have done easy 50 passes on them and they’ve still got at least another 20-30 left in them. They’re the dr2 compound so they’re harder than the MT and M&H dot radials. They dont smoke up much at all when warming up until 3rd gear when they start, but they last heaps longer and stick so imo they’re the best value dot radial....yet not strictly legal for road use in Australia..

When I changed the diff ratio to 3.9 with the 18 inch hoosiers I calculated the final drive at 4.1 due to the rolling diameter and it was nosing over big time down the drag strip so currently with 275/35r20’s the final drive will be about 3.68:1 which I reckon will be in the perfect range for the cam and the converter.

PS I love hq’s I owned two geniune gts coupes in my time. My first car when I was 17 years old which had a sbc I paid $3500 and brought the last one as a roller with a 9 inch housing for $1500 then restored it and sold it for 12k about 18 years ago. Wish I still had it but couldn’t afford one these days. My bro had a hq statesman which I wouldn’t mine either.

Attached Files:

Hq King likes this.
  20. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    are there any radials that are street legal?