Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V 6.0 LSD upgrade for drags

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Thanks Justin,was a good run down and step by step guide.
Im keen for the drags to start up again on the 4th sept here so I can give my wagon a run and see where its at with the minor mods ive done so far.
Im also thinking the 2.92 diff gears in mine are bloody useless and a shocking match for the 6 speed auto.
Did you stall it up on the startline and to what rpm or did you drive off from idle?
Ive never raced a holden with an ls and don't know how they react,only ever fords so I have no comparison.
cheers

Took my wagon to the drags last night,with hsv headers and cats,stock centre section,rhino mufflers,harrop otr and tune I managed 13.27 at 106.27 mph or 171 kph,was very happy with that,ran a slightly quicker mph at 106.55 but slightly slower time of 13.29.
Made 317 hp,roughly 235kw atw on a dyno dynamics dyno
Im off to enquire about some 3.45 diff gears to get the very average 2.1 60 footer down,hopefully dip into the 12s.
Update-Just saw my tuner and we should be doing diff gears soon:D

Last edited:

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Took my wagon to the drags last night,with hsv headers and cats,stock centre section,rhino mufflers,harrop otr and tune I managed 13.27 at 106.27 mph or 171 kph,was very happy with that,ran a slightly quicker mph at 106.55 but slightly slower time of 13.29.
Made 317 hp,roughly 235kw atw on a dyno dynamics dyno
Im off to enquire about some 3.45 diff gears to get the very average 2.1 60 footer down,hopefully dip into the 12s.
Update-Just saw my tuner and we should be doing diff gears soon:D

Interesting read thanks mate. Best i could run this week was 13.30sec and a 13.26 last Friday also with a 2.161 60 ft. My PB 12.92sec was with 2.033 60ft

Only got 3 runs in no thanks to a mid drag night fireworks display... not what i went for with all due respect to organisers and i think i've been hammering the revs to high on take off causing wheel spin.

(didn't have 100% of the fuel it was tuned to in the tank)
Have just purchased 19x9.5 and 285/35 19's for the rear as i've been using 245's on the rear. Having analised my 60ft times if i can drop to 1.90 60ft i'm hoping/thinking there is a 12.50sec quarter in my sights

Some other cars had run .50 slower than a PB at this meeting so i'm not the only one going backwards this week. I'll update when i get my mid 12 pass hopefully.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Interesting read thanks mate. Best i could run this week was 13.30sec and a 13.26 last Friday also with a 2.161 60 ft. My PB 12.92sec was with 2.033 60ft

Only got 3 runs in no thanks to a mid drag night fireworks display... not what i went for with all due respect to organisers and i think i've been hammering the revs to high on take off causing wheel spin.

(didn't have 100% of the fuel it was tuned to in the tank)
Have just purchased 19x9.5 and 285/35 19's for the rear as i've been using 245's on the rear. Having analised my 60ft times if i can drop to 1.90 60ft i'm hoping/thinking there is a 12.50sec quarter in my sights

Some other cars had run .50 slower than a PB at this meeting so i'm not the only one going backwards this week. I'll update when i get my mid 12 pass hopefully.

To pick up half a second Im guessing youll need to get at least 40 more hp at the tyres with the mph you ran.
Going by project vf that street quick did, each tenth and 1 mph they gained took about 10rwhp to get there.
I ended up with a 12.990 at just over 107mph with a 2.00 60 foot in the wagon with 3.45 gears.
My trans is also tuned.
With the extra weight of the wagon and me being 145kg its a pretty decent effort.
Mine still has the ve hsv headers with the 2.25 collector and cats,i did fit a twin 2.5 x force catback but with the same tune as before.
Mine went quicker when I barely stalled it up,ended up only going to about 1250rpm on launch on my best pass with no wheel spin.
Im looking to get well into the 12 second region as well so im getting a smallish cam and more stall fitted in about 2 weeks,probably be it for the wagon after that,going any further with larger cams and big stalls and the driveability and legality becomes questionable.
Im hoping to pick up close to 50 hp at the tyres,hopefully.
Starting to get pricy to go quicker.

Last edited:

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
To pick up half a second Im guessing youll need to get at least 40 more hp at the tyres with the mph you ran.
Going by project vf that street quick did, each tenth and 1 mph they gained took about 10rwhp to get there.
I ended up with a 12.990 at just over 107mph with a 2.00 60 foot in the wagon with 3.45 gears.
My trans is also tuned.
With the extra weight of the wagon and me being 145kg its a pretty decent effort.
Mine still has the ve hsv headers with the 2.25 collector and cats,i did fit a twin 2.5 x force catback but with the same tune as before.
Mine went quicker when I barely stalled it up,ended up only going to about 1250rpm on launch on my best pass with no wheel spin.
Im looking to get well into the 12 second region as well so im getting a smallish cam and more stall fitted in about 2 weeks,probably be it for the wagon after that,going any further with larger cams and big stalls and the driveability and legality becomes questionable.
Im hoping to pick up close to 50 hp at the tyres,hopefully.
Starting to get pricy to go quicker.

Should have the hp just not getting it down 297Kw, 403rwhp at 5321rpm or 564Nm on the dyno

PB 12.92sec was a 40kph head wind and the first drive after the tune on factory 245/40 19s road tyres

Spare wheel and all bits and bobs in the car still

Surly a better day (wouldn't be hard to beat) Some 285/35 19 new on 9.5 wide rims with a bit more practice can shave .40 from my ET with a bad 60ft

I read that 60 ft time effect ET heaps... mine are average at best

Look foward to hearing how the cam goes.. i've been reading Project VF lots, based my mods off them with bang for buck in mind minus running street drag tyres as they went backwards with that on the first test car... keeping in mind the Calais is another car suspension and tyre width etc. I'm technically worse of on my factory tyres. The soft suspension maybe helping after viewing 2 other SS S2 redlines 6.2L at the track with the same mods as me but not as fast, not sure whats up with that. I suspect more power is worse if your not getting it down to the ground on take off.

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldn't get hung up on your dyno figure,go by your mph,the time you ran is pretty dead on for the mph.
If I went off dyno figures alone mine made the same hp tuned with an exhaust and otr as street quicks vf1 ss sedan made bog stock,my wagon shouldn't be any quicker than 13.6-13.7.
That's why going off mph is a more accurate comparison.
Ill do an update once the cam is fitted and ive run it again.

Last edited:

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
I wouldn't get hung up on your dyno figure,go by your mph,the time you ran is pretty dead on for the mph.
If I went off dyno figures alone mine made the same hp tuned with an exhaust and otr as street quicks vf1 ss sedan made bog stock,my wagon shouldn't be any quicker than 13.6-13.7.
That's why going off mph is a more accurate comparison.
Ill do an update once the cam is fitted and ive run it again.

Fair call!

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
A drag racer I met years ago at wsid told me for every tenth you drop off the 60 foot you will double it off the et. I went back and checked the 12 or so runs I had done in the suby that night and that calc was 100% correct on every one of my slips.

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Swapped to some 285 35 19s and had another go.. Goal was sticking in the 12's on every run as went to 13s at recent event

Very happy with recent runs x3 12.9s and x3 12.8s

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_154845.jpg
    IMG_20191123_154845.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20191122_175035[1].jpg
    IMG_20191122_175035[1].jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 190

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Swapped to some 285 35 19s and had another go.. Goal was sticking in the 12's on every run as went to 13s at recent event

Very happy with recent runs x3 12.9s and x3 12.8s

And as was predicted by others and expected the LSD is on her way out.

Guess I'm looking at the after market diff centers now, but that said it's been well worth it. I've had many drag runs with decent skids including into second gear pre drag runs. Taken a few friends for power runs from stand still.

Went to the coast yesterday and on some uneven ground the one wheel spin occurred, the LSD barely drove me off the grass, on returning home jacking up one side, the wheels now spin in opersite directions.

Any suggestions on prefured LSD upgrades??? The factory one lasted about 6mths and 3-4 drag events with 8+ runs at each.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
And as was predicted by others and expected the LSD is on her way out.

Guess I'm looking at the after market diff centers now, but that said it's been well worth it. I've had many drag runs with decent skids including into second gear pre drag runs. Taken a few friends for power runs from stand still.

Went to the coast yesterday and on some uneven ground the one wheel spin occurred, the LSD barely drove me off the grass, on returning home jacking up one side, the wheels now spin in opersite directions.

Any suggestions on prefured LSD upgrades??? The factory one lasted about 6mths and 3-4 drag events with 8+ runs at each.

Harrop Truetrac centre for the win.