Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V tyre wear - any high mileage examples?

DjBrenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf CalaisV 3.6 & 2017 SSVR Auto
28,000 kms on my tyres and pretty much like new, only drive suburbs and the motorway . Have checked pressures a few times outside of services and rotated once so far.

Nph81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais-V
Just had my 30,000km service at 25.000km (18mths) Tyres rotated for the 2nd time incl. the spare. Seem to be going very good on Mackay Roads. incl. dirt, highway and pot holed roads. Bob Jane also confirmed good to get wheel alignments at every 10K so mine going in within the next fortnight to get its 1st (oops) and also confirmed 4 wheels all need to be aligned on the Calais or the 19's not just the front.

Still well over half the life left. I'm hoping for 50,000. Bob Jane person said average is prob 40,000 to 45,000 depending on how you look after them. I've had tyre pressure between 32-36 psi but was told by them and confirmed above by different poster that although 40psi maybe be a rougher ride tyres will last longer and will be make a big difference over the entirety of the life. So 40psi from now on

I'm no expert just passing on the comments from the tyre place.

Red Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I will soon be picking up my new VF Calais V wagon.

I'm not keen on the 19" wheels with 40 profile tyres as I also have a spine problems.
When I test drove a VF Calais V wagon I also noticed the tyre roar on coarse chip roads is much worse than my VE Calais V wagon.

I really think the 19" wheels should be on the SSV only which is aimed at a younger buyer.
I reckon most Calais V buyers would be happy with 245/45R18s.

I am tempted to keep the 18's (with near new tyres) on the VE I am trading in if the dealer is willing to swap them over.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Guys I have four prolapsed disks in my lower back and find my CalaisV with 19" wheels very comfortable to drive. A very handy feature is the memory seat function so you can move your seating position slightly with ease.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I will soon be picking up my new VF Calais V wagon.

I'm not keen on the 19" wheels with 40 profile tyres as I also have a spine problems.
When I test drove a VF Calais V wagon I also noticed the tyre roar on coarse chip roads is much worse than my VE Calais V wagon.

I really think the 19" wheels should be on the SSV only which is aimed at a younger buyer.
I reckon most Calais V buyers would be happy with 245/45R18s.

I am tempted to keep the 18's (with near new tyres) on the VE I am trading in if the dealer is willing to swap them over.

48000km out of 18" and this is largely because one tyre wore quicker than rest despite regular rotations and alignments. I have bad back and can't handle 19" ride.

brissim

Reaction score
Members Ride
Possible VF Calais V
Guys I'm looking at a MY16 Calais V later this year and the issue of 18" vs 19" tyres does interest me. Every motoring review of the Calais V (with its 19" wheels and lower profile tyres) has adversely commented on the ride with many praising the much better ride of the Calais with its 18" wheels. The one short test drive I've had in a Calais V certainly felt that the ride was on the firm side.

My question is - is it possible to spec a Calais V with the 18" wheels of the standard Calais?. I did ask the salesperson at the time of my test drive and I got the impression it wasn't possible (which seems rather silly to me). Has anyone with a Calais V (sedan or wagon) been able to order the car with 18" wheels?

Tony

cfour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming Soon
Just a heads up, Bridgestone have buy 4 and only pay for 3 deal until the end of this month on a select number of tyres which include the Potenza RE050A. My rears 275/35/19 needed replacement so I decided to to get 4 and store the front two in my garage until they need replacement. Since my fronts are 245's they obviously deducted the cheaper tyre but was still an excellent deal.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Guys I'm looking at a MY16 Calais V later this year and the issue of 18" vs 19" tyres does interest me. Every motoring review of the Calais V (with its 19" wheels and lower profile tyres) has adversely commented on the ride with many praising the much better ride of the Calais with its 18" wheels. The one short test drive I've had in a Calais V certainly felt that the ride was on the firm side.

My question is - is it possible to spec a Calais V with the 18" wheels of the standard Calais?. I did ask the salesperson at the time of my test drive and I got the impression it wasn't possible (which seems rather silly to me). Has anyone with a Calais V (sedan or wagon) been able to order the car with 18" wheels?

Tony
I don't see Holden doing it, if you look on Holden website as accessories for Calais V they only list 20' wheels. On the other hand if you walk in to dealer spare parts they often seem to have wheels available there as a special, most likely been taken off a car when fitting bigger wheels as an option. Alternately there are places that sell factory wheels, you could try looking on Holmart website for example. I would think you would be able to sell your new 19's for a good price.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Would think if the dealer wants a sale he will change them for you. Probably lots of boy racers wanting the 19s as well As!

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
You won't be able to "order" it with the 18's as it's not a build option for that model. If you want the wheels of a lesser model then a dealership should be able to organise that (either 18" SV6/SS wheels or Calais wheels - the SV6/SS wheels are likely more common).

Last edited: