Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V tyre wear - any high mileage examples?

brissim

Reaction score
Members Ride
Possible VF Calais V
Thanks for your comments guys on switching the 19" for 18" wheels on a Calais V. Certainly something I will be looking at come the time.

Tony

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Currently at 36k and tyres doing well. Expecting around 50k. Calais V V6 wagon using 40psi and rotations and alignment every 10k. Driving conditions mostly country both crappy sealed and some dirt. While I live in Sydney little driving in stop start conditions.

In hindsight I would have put 18 from the Calais on the car at purchase as the dealer should be able to organise something. The ride handling compromise is better suited for the car type as it is the touring model.

Still very happy with car and will buy again if available.

SRS13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
How much psi are you guys using in your tyres? I have the Turanza T001 and am putting in 36psi. Sedan all city driving.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I have used 40psi all the time and it appears to be a good compromise. While the ride is a bit harsher but the tyres last longer. This pressure has been recommended by several tyre resellers.

lastaussiecommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf
My Vf is a redline running 245/40s front and 275/35s Bridgies on the rear. After 3 years and 88k had to replace the front. 3 1/2 years and 110k had to replace the rears. I drive 50/50 highway , city / suburbs. All tyres had uneven wear mostly on the outsides. Would have got another 10k out of them otherwise. I was disappointed about the wear but maybe not so much after reading how little k's some guys get!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My Vf is a redline running 245/40s front and 275/35s Bridgies on the rear. After 3 years and 88k had to replace the front. 3 1/2 years and 110k had to replace the rears. I drive 50/50 highway , city / suburbs. All tyres had uneven wear mostly on the outsides. Would have got another 10k out of them otherwise. I was disappointed about the wear but maybe not so much after reading how little k's some guys get!
That's astounding. But then, highway k's wear tyres very little if tyres are consistently maintained at the correct pressure

lastaussiecommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf
Ive changed to Hankooks to see how they compare as i saved $100 a tyre on the front and $200 a tyre on the rear compared to the Birdgies. So far only 20k on the front and looking pretty good. Ill update the post when i get a few more ks on them for everyones reference. I dont bother rotating them as they are different widths and profiles front to rear. Always maintain the correct tyre pressures. Might be worth a mention we also run a ve ss and a vz all on Hankooks great mileage and good handling.

lastaussiecommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf
You got 110,000km out of your rear tyres??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah i dont smokem at the lights or go drifting, well not in this one anyway.thats what the VE is for. But hey i do tend to corner a bit faster than some which might account for the wear on the outsides of all 4 tyres.

DjBrenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf CalaisV 3.6 & 2017 SSVR Auto
I'm on original tyres @ 76,000km. Always rotate , check pressures and had a few alignments done. Was probably 50/50 motorway driving on the m4 (flat) which helps a lot.