Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V6 Purge Valve replacement cost?

Rooney69

'Sarcasm'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 3.6
Howdy all,

I have a 2014 VF Calais V V6 and at a recent regular dealer service I was told that the Purge Valve needs replacing and was quoted $547.00

The diagnostic showed up P0170 'relating to Fuel System'.

I was told it's common and not really an issue unless your fuel economy gets worse, however I was encouraged to have it replaced.

The check engine light was on for about 350km prior to this service and I have noticed no issues with the car at all.

I've had the car serviced at the same dealer every 8 to 10 thousand K's. Car has 135k on it currently. Completely standard.

I have an extended warranty policy with AWN, and they confirmed with me my policy doesn't cover this part which sucks.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)

Rooney69

'Sarcasm'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 3.6
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/g...-mPS6R3a18sBsmdU3QaFXlOqGSWQieAsaAjHkEALw_wcB

This and as @Pollushon said, 20 minutes of labor yourself and it's done. If it's a similar setup to the early Alloytecs, it will be located on the passengers side, of the manifold.
My problem is that I'm not confident messing with the car myself and have nobody in my life to help me do it either. I'm having a hard time understanding why they would quote so much. $547 for something that now seems to be $100 if you're mechanically minded. I don't know what to do about this.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Counter their $547 offer with $180 and the job is theirs :p

Else try another independent mechanic :cool: though some of them can also be dodgy as they are dealer trained :oops:

Last edited:

red_vxr

Reaction score
Members Ride
(don't have a commodore lel)
My problem is that I'm not confident messing with the car myself and have nobody in my life to help me do it either. I'm having a hard time understanding why they would quote so much. $547 for something that now seems to be $100 if you're mechanically minded. I don't know what to do about this.
It's just a little electric valve. It's not like it's a massive job like replacing a clutch where you have to remove the whole transmission, you're not messing with the oil or coolant or anything like that and risk making a huge mess. 20 minutes and you can move on with your life.

Or, just never go to that dealership again and pay someone else to do it.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Yeah, +1 vote for the independents here. Most likely at the stealership you'll have some young nuffy just reading from the manual how to do it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Howdy all,

I have a 2014 VF Calais V V6 and at a recent regular dealer service I was told that the Purge Valve needs replacing and was quoted $547.00

The diagnostic showed up P0170 'relating to Fuel System'.

I was told it's common and not really an issue unless your fuel economy gets worse, however I was encouraged to have it replaced.

The check engine light was on for about 350km prior to this service and I have noticed no issues with the car at all.

I've had the car serviced at the same dealer every 8 to 10 thousand K's. Car has 135k on it currently. Completely standard.

I have an extended warranty policy with AWN, and they confirmed with me my policy doesn't cover this part which sucks.
WT actual F!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
where about's you located?
Going by the price on that quote, just down the road from Holden Sea Of Tranquility because that quote is off the planet.