Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF commodore/calais lock nut covers

M4nny91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SS
Hi all!

Have a VF Calais V with lock nuts on it. I noticed one of the lock nut covers has partly broke on the wheel.

See below:

20220821_125725-min.jpg

The chrome part has come off and I cannot get the cover part off now which is just rubber. For reference this is how the cover looks normally:

20220821_125809-min.jpg

20220821_125812-min.jpg

Any ideas on how I can remove it? Tyres were recently changed and its been tightened so much I can't move it.

Thanks.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I believe the traditional wheel-thief method is to sacrifice a socket by crudely smashing it onto the lock-nut with a hefty hammer.
I … can’t imagine doing that myself, it feels extremely irreversible. And a good chance of damaging the metal of the wheel.

I don’t suppose a ring spanner could work, does the top of the locknut stick out far enough?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, hitting a socket over the wheel locknut will undo it....Secret is, make sure the socket is square, so you don't mark the rim. I've done a shed load of them

You can also buy lock nut removers.....It's basically a socket, with teeth that grip the locknut and are perfect to remove locknuts. Again, it's hit onto the locknut and then undone with a ratchet/breakerbar

The only downside to both these methods is, it stuffs the locknut, so they have to be replaced....

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’m confused! If it’s just the plastic part of the cover that’s stuck, you might be able to simply dig it out with a couple of pointy tools. I don’t think that you actually need to resort to damaging the actual locknut (yet).

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’m confused! If it’s just the plastic part of the cover that’s stuck, you might be able to simply dig it out with a couple of pointy tools. I don’t think that you actually need to resort to damaging the actual locknut (yet).
Oh, there's a sleeve over the whole thing?
I thought the whole thing had disintegrated somehow!
What if you get something like an old coat-hanger, put the tiniest bit of the end in a vice, like 2mm, then hammer a 90-degree bend - to make a hook? Which you can grind or hacksaw down if the hooky-bit comes out too long.

There are undoubtedly tools for such things ... eg:
ab8bc9153aff4954b53f894904403b2a

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
IIRC, the plastic bit has little ratchet fingers to prevent the cap from unscrewing too easily. I suspect that all that needs to be done is to simply grip the remaining bit of plastic with something like long-nose vice-grips (or similar) and unscrew it. The locknut will then be visible.

CC15928A-4C93-480F-8221-6061A0716333.jpeg

M4nny91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SS
Thanks everyone for inputs! I'm going to try above see how I go stay tuned!