Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore HID Kits

Gmac 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
It turns out that the US spec cars have HID ballasts built into the housing in the form of a removable square module that forms an access panel into the headlight under the projector.
I've just purchased aftermarket units so I can customise the internals and there is a clear square marked out, yet not cut, where the ballast should mount. our factory units may have this, but I am yet to remove mine so I don't know.

This youtube should explain.......

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
As this thread is back from 2019, are the HID's still the best option, or has the LED's come to the party?
I have used HID's in the past & love them. LED's will be new for me.

Any links to either product will be fantastic.

Have a Super Christmas & New Year All. Stay Safe & Drive Safe...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
HIDs are a bit outdated now. LED’s have come a long way.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
LED's work great in high beam, no warm up time.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
HIDS to be legal still require washer and leveller, LEDs supposably now only need to comply with the same requirements as filament globes, though some may require canbus modules.

you can take a look at the recommended ones here, or look at all their reviews

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
HIDS to be legal still require washer and leveller, LEDs supposably now only need to comply with the same requirements as filament globes, though some may require canbus modules.
I’ve understood that all main beam headlights over 2000 lumens were required to have levellers and washers fitted. And this was still the case even after the ADR’s becoming pointers to the ECE regs (R48 lighting systems, R98 xenon headlamps, R112 Halogen headlamps & R123 Adaptive headlamps and probably more). But understanding and certifying lamp assemblies is mired in complexity.

In there assessment Hella states:

Due to ECE-R48 § 6.2.9: Automatic leveling must be installed with LED headlamps. If the headlamps are equipped with light sources > 2,000 lumen (usually xenon), automatic leveling and a headlamp cleaning system need to be installed, 2 additional cornering lamps are optional.

The above means any LED headlamp regardless of light output must include an automatic headlamp leveling function. And if the LED lamp pumps out more than 2000l lumens, you also need to have headlamp cleaning system. No ifs buts or ands in that interpretation by the experts at Hella.

Of course any web site that is the business of selling led globes for headlamp assemblies would ignore the above clear interpretation of the regulations, else they’d not sell much of anything if they were clear that even LEDs aren’t legal in main beam headlamp assemblies.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s a Falcon down the road from me. Often drives out behind me on the way to work at 3:30am. Full LED conversion. Number plate, indicators etc. The headlights, while brighter than the factory dolphin torches, are in no way a distraction to me until we get to the intersection and go our separate ways. Obviously using quality LEDs that put the light into the reflector better than halogen.
It’s a tidy ride.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There’s a Falcon down the road from me. Often drives out behind me on the way to work at 3:30am. Full LED conversion. Number plate, indicators etc. The headlights, while brighter than the factory dolphin torches, are in no way a distraction to me until we get to the intersection and go our separate ways. Obviously using quality LEDs that put the light into the reflector better than halogen.
It’s a tidy ride.
Still doesn’t change the fact it’s illegal as it’s non compliant with ADR’s/ECE Regs.
yeah im sure you probably have to read into it more than just page 9 of this

but interestingly its only under the hid section they specifically call out lumens and levelling and washers
that doc states things rather clearly, so maybe conformational bias?

6. Lamps Containing Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
LED lamps are common on modern vehicles due to their high efficiency. There is also an increasing range of LED globes that are intended as replacements for traditional filament globes, both in headlamps as well as other lamps such as indicators. Retrofitted LED globes are permitted as long as they are designed as a direct replacement for the original globe, and maintain the compliance of the lamp with the relevant requirements. Some aftermarket LED globes may fit directly into the original vehicle housing, but these still need to be assessed that they comply with the applicable vehicle standards.​
Except for a vehicle manufacturer’s approved replacement part, before purchasing an aftermarket LED lamp or replacement LED globe for a fitted lamp, check that its manufacturer clearly states on its packaging that the lamp/globe is suitable for road use and complies with the relevant ADR requirements.
Technical Requirements​
Lamps containing LED globes must comply with the same technical requirements, including ADR 51/00 as those containing filament/incandescent globes, including the intensity, distribution, and colour of their emitted light.​
Use​
Lamps containing LED globes are subject to the same operational requirements as those containing filament/incandescent globes.​

Basically put, unless the LED globes light output is measured according to the standards and is shown to be less than 2000 lumens (which presumably makes it a per headlamp assembly certification), then they wont comply with relevant ADRs and are therefore illegal.

And I have yet to se a LED globe on sale that is intended for replacing a halogen globe and that lists ADR compliance and “legal for road use” labels on the packaging (though I have a vague recollection someone said on globe was approved) :confused:

If you follow ADR 51, you end up going down the rabbit hole into the various ECE Regs… which state that for >=2000 lumens you must include washer systems and auto leveling systems…

Unfortunately there is no easy way around the illegality other than ignorance and we know that’s not an excuse.

Last edited: