Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke Transmission Issue

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
If it's rolling smoothly in neutral it won't be the handbrake. It does sound like a trans issue, but I don't think the wheel getting hot can be related to the trans.

It may be two issues, the wheel that is getting hot could be wheel bearing, diff maybe?

Jack the car up and see if that wheel spins freely in neutral. The park brake shoes on that side might need adjusting? This has me stumped.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There is something funny about the evoke transmission tune setup that makes the car want to slow itself down when driving around at suburban speeds, less than 60. I Posted about this a few months ago in the VF chat thread. I can't help thinking it's some kind of mental safety bull crap to help really bad drivers keep control of the car. I wish there was a option in Engineering mode that allows you to switch it off by selecting the professional mode, for drivers who actually know how to drive and can actually brake by themselves when they need to!!
My car did improve a bit when I serviced the transmission and bleed the brakes, so you might have a few different issues causing trouble?

adlvf14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
If it's rolling smoothly in neutral it won't be the handbrake. It does sound like a trans issue, but I don't think the wheel getting hot can be related to the trans.

It may be two issues, the wheel that is getting hot could be wheel bearing, diff maybe?

Jack the car up and see if that wheel spins freely in neutral. The park brake shoes on that side might need adjusting? This has me stumped.
Yeah it's so smooth in neutral and picks up speed on a decline, switching to drive you can feel the car instantly pull back and begin slowing down, once it comes to a stop it won't move forwards without acceleration.

On an incline it's got enough that it'll hold it in place, putting it in neutral the car will roll backwards.

Im going to jack up that side and see if the wheel has any side to side play also, seen that's a pretty easy tell of bearing issues.

adlvf14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
There is something funny about the evoke transmission tune setup that makes the car want to slow itself down when driving around at suburban speeds, less than 60. I Posted about this a few months ago in the VF chat thread. I can't help thinking it's some kind of mental safety bull crap to help really bad drivers keep control of the car. I wish there was a option in Engineering mode that allows you to switch it off by selecting the professional mode, for drivers who actually know how to drive and can actually brake by themselves when they need to!!
My car did improve a bit when I serviced the transmission and bleed the brakes, so you might have a few different issues causing trouble?
The decel isn't as much of a problem vs the lack of idle creep, although both bother me and i feel that the faster decel vs normal is related to the lack of idle creep and if I fix that the other should resolve itself.

I'm thinking I'm going to start with a trans service, flush, fluid and filter, that way I get the pan off and can check the fluids and level, and check the magnet for anything.
Also should be able to check if the torque converter is cracked/leaking and then go from there

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The decel isn't as much of a problem vs the lack of idle creep, although both bother me and i feel that the faster decel vs normal is related to the lack of idle creep and if I fix that the other should resolve itself.

I'm thinking I'm going to start with a trans service, flush, fluid and filter, that way I get the pan off and can check the fluids and level, and check the magnet for anything.
Also should be able to check if the torque converter is cracked/leaking and then go from there
One thing I've read about the 3litre is they designed it to idle very slowly to save some petrol and save the world. So maybe it's idling so slow it's not strong enough to move the car?

adlvf14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
One thing I've read about the 3litre is they designed it to idle very slowly to save some petrol and save the world. So maybe it's idling so slow it's not strong enough to move the car?
Yeah the lower idle on the 3.0 is 500rpm and it's sitting right on it, was enough to creep forward in traffic until it wasn't :confused: will have to stick the obd on it to get a better reading but it doesn't seem to move until around 7-800 rpm now.

When in motion in order to maintain speed on a flat it's sitting around 1,200rpm I think

Last edited:

adlvf14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Stuck the OBD on it and it's at about 750 RPM that it starts to get some forward motion when on a flat and in drive, maintaining speed on a flat or slight decline it's hovering between 1200 and 1500 rpm.

Had a mate with his VF Evoke come round and his easily creeps at 500 rpm, and sits around 900rpm when coasting.

Booked in tomorrow for a trans fluid and filter change, figure that's the best starting point and will at least get to see if the fluid is cooked or there's a leak from a cracked TC and go from there

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Stuck the OBD on it and it's at about 750 RPM that it starts to get some forward motion when on a flat and in drive, maintaining speed on a flat or slight decline it's hovering between 1200 and 1500 rpm.

Had a mate with his VF Evoke come round and his easily creeps at 500 rpm, and sits around 900rpm when coasting.

Booked in tomorrow for a trans fluid and filter change, figure that's the best starting point and will at least get to see if the fluid is cooked or there's a leak from a cracked TC and go from there
That's interesting. I don't think I have ever seen my revs drop under 1000 when coasting. Ask the transmission shop if they know what's causing it. Let us know how you go.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

How did it go?

adlvf14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
How did it go?
Ended up needing to moving it to next Tuesday as he was down a tech, will let you know how it goes

Oddly enough it's actually been better then normal the last few days, maybe due to the colder weather down here in SA but it's been rolling at idle (kinda slow still but more then before) and it's also been keeping speed when coasting better then before.

He actually mentioned he had another VF last week with cracked and leaking TC with similar issues, mentioned it's hard to tell cause the underbody panels can stop the trans fluid from dripping out onto your driveway etc