Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Garage security

NN334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0lt
Just wondering how others are securing their cars in the garage from theft?
Think the theft rate will soon increase.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Some of these perhaps?
tmp_21838-images(3)-1583851824.jpg

In all seriousness though, I'm going through the process of preparing my garage for the new arrival. I've never used the garage for cars before as I have a large carport, but with all the thefts and home invasions in Melb of late im not going to take any risks.
I've already installed a monitored alarm and cctv system, next I will be putting roller shutters on the external windows and looking at improving/adding door locks. I'm also looking at getting a small safe to store the keys in for some added security.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
I've already installed a monitored alarm and cctv system, next I will be putting roller shutters on the external windows and looking at improving/adding door locks. I'm also looking at getting a small safe to store the keys in for some added security.
If you are not home don't you take your keys with you?
If you are home and someone invades my place, I wouldn't bother with roller shutters or anything else, use cricket bat or similar to defend your home.
No amount of alarms or security is going to stop someone determined from stealing your stuff, including your car. CCTV they cover their face/use hoodies.. Pointless.

It also depends where you live, if you live in a high risk area, then maybe it's time to move.. Roller Shutters are a fire escape risk. If I want to get out quickly , these will prevent you if you cannot find the key or button in heavy smoke. Death trap material. Same as bars on windows. The NSW Fire Brigade mention this as well.
http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=297

You do have home and contents insurance and comp car insurance don't you? That's what it's there for to cover you for these type of occurrences.

Last edited:

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
I think if they really want your car, why bother with stealing it from your house when a well executed car jacking would do the trick.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
If you are not home don't you take your keys with you?
But what about the spare key?
And they keys are better off in a safe place while you sleep instead of left on the kitchen bench.

I wouldn't bother with roller shutters or anything else, use cricket bat or similar to defend your home.
A cricket bat isn't going to help you when there's 5 of them armed with weapons. At least roller shutters act as a deterrent and will help to delay their entry.

No amount of alarms or security is going to stop someone determined from stealing your stuff, including your car.

It's a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Roller Shutters are a fire escape risk. If I want to get out quickly , these will prevent you if you cannot find the key or button in heavy smoke. Death trap material. Same as bars on windows. The NSW Fire Brigade mention this as well.
My garage is a standalone building separate to the house.
Anyhow, a manual roller shutter takes about 5 seconds to wind up and a smoke detector will alert you well before your house is engulfed.

You do have home and contents insurance and comp car insurance don't you? That's what it's there for to cover you for these type of occurrences.

Of course I do but that's beside the point. No amount of insurance can cover sentimental value.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I put all my keys in a bowl near the door where they can easily be found.

Why?

Because I’d rather have the thieves come in and take the vehicle without the need to drag my family out of bed and be threatened or worse assault them until the keys are handed over.

As much as I love my cars the safety of my family comes first and in the end they are just cars.

I’ve had two cars stolen from home, one from a carport and one from the garage.

The one in the garage was secured to the floor and they came prepared.

I have a camera and alarm system that is there too hopefully identify them but it not really there to stop them.

I’m happy to secure my cars but I know that doesn’t deter the 'steal to order' professionals so my first instinct is to ensure the safety of my family.

I'd rather mourn the loss of a car then a family member.

Last edited:

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I think if they really want your car, why bother with stealing it from your house when a well executed car jacking would do the trick.
Just on that topic... With the VF proximity key, if you were car jacked and had the key in your pocket, does the car switch off once it is no longer in range of the key?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just on that topic... With the VF proximity key, if you were car jacked and had the key in your pocket, does the car switch off once it is no longer in range of the key?
Great question, as I know nothing about VF security.
All my spare keys live in my gun safe...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yes, I believe so.