Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Hard Top/Lid

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The main problem with ute hard lids, of any design, is that if you leave them up, you are very likely to reverse into something that you know is there, but can't see when selecting 'R'.
Ask me how I know. :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reverse camera helps but 3/4 of the time I forget I have one.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm in two minds about fitting the soft tonnneau I have in the shed. But then I have to store the hard cover until I decide whether to put it back on or sell it.... It's a bit of a job taking it off and fitting the soft cover so I haven't done it yet to decide which I prefer.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
Yep I've got the blind spot mirrors on my calais wagon. I dont care if I look like a 'granny' driver. It makes visibility for reversing (read: gutter rash) so much better.
The best wing mirrors in any car I've ever driven is the last gen of the mitsubishi lancers. They were oversized without looking out of place and worked really well
sissy mirrors are the go hey

sandman2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
i got the same genuine Holden bought and fitted when i bought my VF ute brand new and all i can say is thank the maker for the side mirrors and reverse camera lights, if it wasnt for them id have side swipped many a cars because theres little to no blind spot visions

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
A further thing I have been impressed with when it comes to the original hardlids, as fitted pre-delivery, is how water tight they are. The fine print stipulated that they are not expected to be so, and no doubt after many years the seals will deteriorate but at 6yo our vf tray still stays dry through downpours…just have to be a little careful when opening it after a downpour because depending on the incline some water can dribble in but nothing major.
We took our ve to Bathurst in 2015 with considerable amounts of soft luggage in the back…it rained quite a bit over the few days and nights that year but everything remained completely dry.
Not saying that other hardlids aren’t just as waterproof as I wouldn’t know but it is worth checking out if you are expecting a dry tray in all weather.

Reactions: Lex

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
A further thing I have been impressed with when it comes to the original hardlids, as fitted pre-delivery, is how water tight they are.
Yes, they're pretty good. The genuine hard lid has a water drip deflector above the liner behind the cab, but I don't think aftermarket hard lids do.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine's water tight too. Only time I get a drip inside is on the corners behind the cab if I raise it while it has large beads on it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
“I can’t see out the back”.
*Crewman owner enters the chat.