Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

duz10s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Prussian
no heater issue's for me, mine does as someone else posted after I take it was updated before delivery go from 29 to HI, heater woks a treat, even on 23 its too hot

Krustyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Well I had a very interesting morning with my VF Calais V.

Whilst waiting at a set of lights to turn right just 5 minutes into my trip, I had the radio on, seat warmer on 2 and most functions operating as normal.

For no reason, the gauges all dropped to zero, the radio cut out, the HUD went dark and the blinker stopped and there was no audible sound produced by the car apart from the engine running.
Flicking the blinkers, playing with the various buttons provided me with no control. The whole console had a mind of its own. It was like the entire system was crashing, rebooting, self testing and then crashing etc.
The DIC (Drivers Information Centre) was showing every fault under the sun. Service Steering Wheel Column Lock, Service Front Camera System and more that I cannot recall.

The car was still drivable although I had no idea what people around me could see in the way of blinkers, lights etc. (7:15 am).

I pulled off to the side of the road after I had turned the corner with the console still acting like the lights at disco.
Pushing the start stop button would not stop the engine or have any influence on the car at all.

Eventually I got the car to shut-down and act somewhat normally.

I popped the bonnet and made sure all fuses and localised connections to the fuse box were well seated.
The remote control was working and the hazard lights were now on. (I had tried to turn them on earlier)

I started the car with most functions now working normally. the only fault I could find was the HUD was not reading correctly apart from the Forward Collision Indicator.

I eventually arrived at the Southbound Eastlink servo to fill up. I popped the bonnet, unlocked and disconnected the modular fuse and relay compartment to remove all power to the cabin etc.
I filled the car, reconnected the fuse and relay compartment and the HUD was now working normally.

The car behaved as it should for the remainder of the trip (20 odd Kms).

Rang a dealership service department and he was helpful enough but said there was nothing in the Holdens fault database and as I had disconnected all power to the car via the fuse and relay compartment, any logs of the cars activity would be erased. Sorry mate, cant help you unless it happens again.

The car started and drove perfectly fine this evening.

End of story. No diagnosis, no witnesses and absolutely no idea what the F$@k happened.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Actually had one come in today like this with a similar story. We couldn't re create it so we couldn't find it.
We think it had something to do with low voltage

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
the manual actually states that the cruise control does not brake or slow down the car. It is annoying and disappointing as you have to brake or cancel the cruise control when you go down a long steep hill. Have also found that the heat control is inconsistent as 23C is too hot and 22C is not warm enough.

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
Locked up Everthing

Actually had one come in today like this with a similar story. We couldn't re create it so we couldn't find it.
We think it had something to do with low voltage

Hi I had a similar problem with the radio and sat nav. It locked up and I could not control the radio ect. Car was still drivable so I shut it down locked the car and walk away for 10 . came back and all is now working good. From what I understand there is a battery saver built in which will shut down all systems.

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Sometimes all this technology can be a pain in the ass......great to have "WHEN" it works properly, but if Holden cant find a fault when they try to replicate it, that becomes annoying.
Also the Start/Stop button not working is bordering on ridiculous.
How could Holden not have experienced anything like this in their 1000's of hours of testing!?!?!?!?
It know it might sound "outdated" these days, but i like that thing called a KEY to start my car.

Krustyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Another fault found albeit tiny.

The left hand Side Blind Zone Alert is dimly lit after turning car off and locking doors. The light is very dim and appears to flickering slightly should be an easy fix but just another to the list.

Haven't contact Holden yet.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
the manual actually states that the cruise control does not brake or slow down the car. It is annoying and disappointing as you have to brake or cancel the cruise control when you go down a long steep hill. Have also found that the heat control is inconsistent as 23C is too hot and 22C is not warm enough.

I've never driven a car with cruise control that brakes when you go down hill, let alone a Commodore.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
My previous TS Astra would brake and keep the speed within about 3kms. I was expecting that the VF would as it uses the bosch system like the astra. My subaru outback does not brake but it uses a japanese system