Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

B

bennyssv

Calais V Models utilise a different windscreen which is known as an acoustic UV windscreen which's is similar to units fitted to high end Euro's. Models fitted with a HUD unit also use a different windscreen which is clearly marked with a HUD markings in the driver side bottom corner of the windscreen. Yes the windscreen is around $1200-$1250 supply only from dealers and around $1100 from reputable windscreen suppliers. If you own a Calais V ensure that your insurance will cover the cost of this windscreen replacement as a non Calais V model windscreen costs around $150 supply only but is not suitable for the Calais V.
did you have yours replaced ? any issues

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
wow that's the worst and any money if you went back to the dealer the would not take ownership of the issue . the worst :( sorry to hear about that.

I went over the car when I got it home and took it back the next day and showed them.

The door was rubbed back and resprayed and the front bar was replaced without any argument so I have no complaints.

They replaced the front bar with a new one simply because it was easier than respraying the one on it.

I’ve recently had the stone chips fixed on the car and I’m in the process of having the whole car flow coated and while the work was being done we found the reason for the run on the door.

It had been resprayed after the factory.

We checked inside the door and couldn’t see any dent repair so I suspect a scratch or something superficial was repaired by the dealer before I picked it up and that would also be the reason that I had to wait an extra week after I was told it had arrived and was given a delivery date.

The car has only 4500k’s on it and the door has already been painted 3 times.

Not that anyone looking at the car could tell.

Plus I've had far worse, my E Series Clubby had every panel apart from the roof resprayed because of such a **** factory job.

HSV came and looked at it and agreed it should never have been approved for delivery in the state it was in.

B

bennyssv

I went over the car when I got it home and took it back the next day and showed them.

The door was rubbed back and resprayed and the front bar was replaced without any argument so I have no complaints.

They replaced the front bar with a new one simply because it was easier than respraying the one on it.

I’ve recently had the stone chips fixed on the car and I’m in the process of having the whole car flow coated and while the work was being done we found the reason for the run on the door.

We checked inside the door and couldn’t see any dent repair so I suspect a scratch or something superficial was repaired by the dealer before I picked it up and that would also be the reason that I had to wait an extra week after I was told it had arrived and was given a delivery date.

Plus I've had far worse, my E Series Clubby had every panel apart from the roof resprayed because of such a **** factory job.

HSV came and looked at it and agreed it should never have been approved for delivery in the state it was in.

omg i am sorry to hear that what a doggy dealership but i reckon all cars are touched up in someway and also they probs dont take as much car transporting the vehicles .

I am a fussy guy a swell when it comes to paint

I feel your pain it happened to my old car and i had to sell it because i could not stand looking at the paint.

my vf has like stone chips on the bonnet etc i just cbf re painting it.

the best thing to do is not to look at it and enjoy the car normal wear and tear will happen.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline

I had a similar experience with a VN door. I asked a subsequent dealer about transit damage and they said a car can have up to 3 panels damaged and repaired and still be sold as new! As always I will be holding back my enthusiasm when I pick my Redline up in a couple of weeks until I have done a thorough inspection outside and in.

B

bennyssv

I had a similar experience with a VN door. I asked a subsequent dealer about transit damage and they said a car can have up to 3 panels damaged and repaired and still be sold as new! As always I will be holding back my enthusiasm when I pick my Redline up in a couple of weeks until I have done a thorough inspection outside and in.
The dealers just don't care they are just money hungry I hope for the best on your new car also check the interior as it's hard plastic and pron to scratched

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
You are lucky...if it was the same lifting arrangement that the Ve SV6 Ute had.....it was a proper bastard to remove the wheel as it had safety latch attached to stop it falling off....you had to wind down the wheel....then you had tilt it up and pass the safety latch through the opening in the wheel...all from underneath the Ute....then you had to slide the tyre out from underneath....the wheel had to positioned face down when you reinstalled it....and reverse the above procedure....the wheel could not be installed face up because of the locking arrangement....this applies to my Ve Ute with the full size alloy wheel.....the wheel had to be reinstalled face down...I have a block of wood to put under the tyre to tilt it up....ever tried to lie on your back and tilt up a full size alloy and get the latch through the narrow centre hole. !@#$%^&*

Anyway does the SSV-Redline come with wider tyres at the back....probably GMH thought that they would have to supply 2 spares...one for the front....and one for the rear...I know that you can get space savers and steel rims....but there is nothing like having a full size alloy.

Having said all that get a full size wheel and tie it down in the back of the ute....and do away with the fly spray can...you will also need a good quality jack and wheel brace....not the GMH **** they supply or the scissors jack that Repco flog....good luck!

The current model factory scissor jack has a hex on the end of the screw shaft. Most scissor jacks are actually ok, only the device provided to rotate the screw shaft is less than satisfactory. I modified one, then the factory followed suit. There are also several jack sizes, if you are looking to buy, see what the wreckers have in VF genuine. Then you need my other non-genuine accessory.

Last time I had a puncture, I was rolling again in 4 minutes, thanks to my modified Jack and my non-genuine accessory.

Attachments

• P2150105.png
    P2150105.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 272

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Hi,
My VF SSV is only a few weeks old and has just clocked 2000K's. I had the car in today getting the windows tinted. This took around 1.5 HR's. About 10 mins before the guy finished he was attempting to roll down one of the windows and it wouldn't. Turns out that the battery must have been drained more than what it should. Had to get it jumpstarted WTH ... The car is usually driven daily including this morning 40km to work and the 10km to the tinter. This does not sound normal. Is it possible that the battery was never fully charged from perhaps sitting around for a couple of months? The car is August compliance plated and was delivered on 21/11/14

Cheers
You don't have the Battery Saver feature? It would prevent that.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
I am so over Mylink it is not funny.
Playing music from a regular USB stick should not be this hard.
I have put some of my songs in folders based on albums or genres. There are 5.
Mylink thinks there are 16 and when you go into folders, it just lists individual song titles - it doesn't show the folders at all.
Let alone that it plays some different random song each time you start the car - it never continues with what was playing when you turned the car off.

How has GM got it so wrong?

You COULD use the radio or a CD

Just sayin'

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
omg i am sorry to hear that what a doggy dealership but i reckon all cars are touched up in someway and also they probs dont take as much car transporting the vehicles .

I am a fussy guy a swell when it comes to paint

I feel your pain it happened to my old car and i had to sell it because i could not stand looking at the paint.

my vf has like stone chips on the bonnet etc i just cbf re painting it.

the best thing to do is not to look at it and enjoy the car normal wear and tear will happen.

I’m not perturbed in any way by it.

I’ve bought enough new cars to know a percentage of them will get marked during transport and some will end up with panel damage and as much as I’d rather it not be mine as long as it’s fixed good as new then I can live with it.

I’ve seen quite a few pre-delivery cars that have had things like the bumper bars ripped off or hanging to the ground and large dents in panels and in my case the damage was minor.

The dealer did repair it without telling me but that is always the case and I accept that as the industry norm.

What you don’t know won’t hurt you.

Once I did my inspection and reported what I wanted addressed they didn’t question any of it and arranged for the work to be done and provided me with a loan car and it came back looking good as new.

As far as the delivery damage is concerned most people would never know if their brand new vehicle had repairs and in my case if I wasn’t having a few stone chips repaired and the OEM orange peel removed at my expense I would never have been the wiser either.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Just to give you a hint from another universe... my last car was an RX-8 and they all had a 'factory fill' of synthetic gearbox oil which was scheduled for change at 70,000 klms in the handbooks. HOWEVER, everyone I've ever heard of with an RX-8 started having first and second synchro problems at 30-40,000 klms and those that investigated their oil situation themselves found that the original fill had turned to watery brown muck by this mileage so they changed it. New oil, problem gone. Those who stuck to the schedule at dealer servicing basically had stuffed gearbox by the time the 70,000 klms change came around. Holden has a 'lifetime fill' on the gearbox oil as far as I can tell, which is probably as optimistic as Mazda's attempt, but the hint here is change the oil and see if your problem goes away - it'd be a cheap and easy solution. Audis and Volkswagens have the same problem with their automatics and DSGs - 'lifetime fill' is just not for the real world.

Many moons ago, VF Valiant V8, converted from Auto to Manual (When such things were easy to do), all factory bits, twin-plate clutch, Borg Warner Single Rail wide ratio box. Noted that factory recommended oil was SAE30, not the usually used 80 or 90 weight gear oil.
Someone suggested using Auto Trans fluid. The gearbox loved it, but, getting into 1st or 2nd was hard work, related to selector forks and synchros. Shell at the time had a product called XGO for transmissions, manual or auto! It had a light consistency like sewing machine oil, or 5W30. I made a soup of 50/50 Auto Trans and XGO and voila! easy gears!

So, food for thought, have a chat with someone knowledgeable (Not the clerks running your dealers service dept) about oil viscosity and those synchros and shift lever ease of use