Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
I have a very early build VF Redline (2013) that had the better seat bolsters, but no there is no red stitching on the wheel of my car either.

Y'all don't want that red stitchin'. It'll soon get grubby n scuzzy n be anything BUT red. Prolly why the factry don't do it

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon

iamandrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Anyone with a wagon had issues withe the rubber seal that you press on the outside to unlock the boot? the seal never looks like its sitting on correctly with mine

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
I think I would be demanding a new steering rack, motor and whatever control module looks after the steering unit. In my opinion, driving a car with an intermittent fault such as this is DANGEROUS. If the dealer won't play ball, try escalating the matter to Holden Service. I seem to remember another poster had the same problem, and Holden told him the car was dangerous and shouldn't be driven until new components were installed.

My 2015 Caprice started doing the same thing, and I hear of reports of lots of taxi operators having the same problem. It has been blamed on the choice of connector used by the motor manufacturer, and involves some mysterious 'fretting' of the connector contacts in the plug connection harness-to-motor. Detach the plug, clean and inspect, refill with special water resist dielectric conductive (Whatever?!) Gel and supposedly Bob's your Uncle.

Much communications with Holden Customer Care imploring me to take it to the dealer who very annoyingly insist on booking the car in for a full day in the 'shop to carry out a 45 minute procedure, Valuable time off the road for a working car.

Regardless, the main problem is that 'the Computer' insists on turning off the steering Power Assist when the comms link to the P/S motor is even momentarily interrupted due to this mysterious 'Fretting'.

I HAVE EVEN HAD IT HAPPEN WHEN THE CAR IS SITTING IDLING WAITING FOR A CLIENT, EVEN WITH NO-ONE IN THE CAR! It can happen while turning (roundabouts, curves) or on a dead-straight highway at 100+ kmh

I have pushed HCC to find out for me, WHY the system needs to have the ability to turn off the power assist motor. if there is some kind of parts-preservation logic, I cannot figure what. In a crash situation, no-one will care if P/S is working or not.

IT WOULD BE PREFERABLE TO HAVE THE 'SERVICE POWER STEERING' MESSAGE DISPLAYED WITHOUT TURNING OFF THE ACTUAL ASSIST!!!

Nor will Holden let the tech-heads talk directly with a customer to discuss the issue.

Although I am a bigger man, and a professional driver, and able to 'catch' the car when the disable happens, other drivers may not, and could end up in a dangerous or life-threatening situation.

Interestingly, I had noted the problem more likely to occur in hot/dry conditions. Here in Alice we went into an unusual 'rainy season' from Christmas eve until almost Australia Day. I had made arrangements to have the car looked at on 28/12 if possible, but with the inclement weather, the car settled so I plugged on. Australia Day dawned beautiful and sunny, and within a day or 2 the old gremlin was back.

VRleak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Having an issue with the screen on my VF Redline. Only seems to happen on very hot days(33c+ outside temp). After 10 minutes of driving with the AC blasting, it goes away once the cabin cools down. Took it to one dealer last year and they replaced a couple of fuses and a relay, then reset the fault codes. Didnt happen again but it appears they didnt fix it, it just simply wasnt getting hot enough to trigger it. Last weekend when we had those high 30s low 40s the problem came back same as in the past. Tried a different dealer this time and theyre just going to update the mylink software next week. Im no mechanic but i dont see how a software update will fix what looks to me like a hardware fault/issue? Anyway heres a vid showing the problem.... Anyone else seen this?

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Then buy the model that has that feature (i.e. a Calais). On one hand you complain that it doesn't have a feature you want, on the other hand you've bought the second cheapest model in the range. Don't be a tightarse?

As for the A-pillar, it's people that can't park properly and can't see oncoming traffic that create the need to have safer cars with fatter pillars ;)

Caprice V...
It has everything

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Your post is very interesting as I did not know that Holden had a model that had auto dipping mirrors. To do this it would be 100% software control but for my idea it would have to be via software/satnav when either you drive in or reverse the car into your garage and BOTH MIRRORS or a single mirror dip. Now in my case because I reverse into my garage the drivers side mirror should do this according to the GPS location but for you and every VF owner the passengers side dipping would be excellent as we all if not using park assist would love that mirror to dip so we can see what our expensive wheels are doing.

Caprice V has it, I assume Calais V also has it, and my bro's Adventra LX8 has it. So did my older WM Caprices. Mirror dives down when you pick reverse. Pain in the bum when you don't want it to dip cos reversing out of a driveway etc. Fortunately it can be turned off

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Our 07 Outlander also has a large A pillar. Having driven VE also, there is no real difference between the two. It's just something that you get used to and make sure you have a proper look rather than hurrying through.

In terms of mirror dipping for angle parking.....in 30 years of driving I've never had one and never scraped a rim on the curb.....touch wood.

For people who wanna complain about fat A-pillars, go back to your HQ's

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
For people who wanna complain about fat A-pillars, go back to your HQ's

I no complain, just highlighting Commodore isn't the only one with the same thing and people just need to deal wiith it.