Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

michaelko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF calais v 6lt
Hi guys, first post. calais v owner. great car, shame about the climate control. issues have been addressed 3 times and still this system cannot work out what temp it likes. like some other post's, centre consule gets hot (modified hardware, no fix). centre vents nearly always cold, could be 5c outside and auto temp set to 23/25 etc still bloody cold air, but consule rear air hot. have today been in contact with holden, looks like we open another round of dealer visits, that is let's try this, or let's try that. funny thing is looking at the chev ss site only 1 minor mention of heater issues. Why are there cars different, cause i know it's been cold over there.

somfman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6
Guys, just visited a dealer re a couple of faults.

First, the windscreen washer is not working well - they had a look at it and have ordered a replacement washer motor.

Second, I had my first occurrance of the "Service Steering Column Lock" message last week. I mentioned this and they stated that Holden are aware of it and will probably be issuing a recall notice soon. Engineering are still working on a fix. Maybe it's a bit more serious than we thought.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
]Just found this on top of my drivers side window recess. Does anyone know what it is ?

Is it something that holds the glass in place?

I have had the VF door card apart completly and also door rubbers and window belts. While not saying I'm a guru on the doors, I have not seen that or something that resembles that. Are you confident it came from the car even?

Are you running a GPS or another app while connected?

I use the usb socket which charges and plays my music for my iPhone 5.
However when I use my Google Nexus 7 pad running MetroView GPS, it loses charge on the 12V sockets.

However if I just have the pad connected and no apps running, it charges fine.

Think it just depends how much the device CPU power is being utilised, although if you're not running apps, that would be strange. Unlikely to be the problem, have you changed charging cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung S4 requires a 2.1Amp charger, unlike the majority of phones which require 500ma (.5Amp) or 1Amp. I recently purchased a "Samsung compatible" phone charger for my Note 2 (similar phone just a bit older) and similar instance... it looked like it was maintaining it which was a fat lot of good to me and then I looked at the box and sure... 500mA. Nowhere near enough to charge the phone reliably and if it does... no bluetooth, no music and GPS will take charge. So, my suggestion to you would be check the charging potential of each charger... because the car definetly do it.

As for the USB sockets in the commodores... they are between 500mA and 1A. That will struggle with a Samsung 4S or similar. Certainly will go backwards if you're using the GPS at the same time.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Wilco Hemi. No vibrations to date.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Samsung S4 requires a 2.1Amp charger, unlike the majority of phones which require 500ma (.5Amp) or 1Amp. I recently purchased a "Samsung compatible" phone charger for my Note 2 (similar phone just a bit older) and similar instance... it looked like it was maintaining it which was a fat lot of good to me and then I looked at the box and sure... 500mA. Nowhere near enough to charge the phone reliably and if it does... no bluetooth, no music and GPS will take charge. So, my suggestion to you would be check the charging potential of each charger... because the car definetly do it.

As for the USB sockets in the commodores... they are between 500mA and 1A. That will struggle with a Samsung 4S or similar. Certainly will go backwards if you're using the GPS at the same time.

That explains a lot. Thanks very much.

mrmondo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Hi there guys,

i bought a VF SPORTSWAGON where iv got two issues one is when i take off from lets say a set of lights i get like a clunk noise from the rear where holden have changed the tailshaft but the problem is still there its been looked at like 5 times and the other issue is you can hear the petrol splashing inside the fuel tank from inside the car. I was wondering has anyone eles had the same problem its driving me mad

I have the same issue a clunking noise from the rear somewhere when you take off. Very annoying apparently Holden mechanic couldn't hear it.

Does anybody have the a problem when turning a slight right hand bend the steering seems to stay in that position and doesn't return to the straight position. So if you don't straighten the steering wheel you just keep on turning.

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Vibration

Wilco Hemi. No vibrations to date.

Thanks 426Cuda.

Will keep on this problem. Hopefully they will be as helpful as they have been with the other problems.
The dealers service staff are very good.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
That's half the battle Mate. They vary greatly form one dealer to the next.
Mine's an auto so it will be interesting to see if this is a manual only issue. It's always hard to get an idea form a thread what the issue is like in the car, but I think the stiff suspension claim is just a thumb suck. Clearly the mechanics have no idea at this stage. Can you feel it through the steering or only in the back? I'd be looking at something out of balance, wheel, tailshaft, ill fitted uni joint, or possibly a faulty bearing.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Had some passengers on the back seat over the past few days and yesterday noticed the trim hanging out from the bottom of the seat. I removed the seat and noticed several of the poorly designed clips that hold the seat material in place had come out. Was an easy fix but un-acceptable in a car that has only travelled 1000kms.