Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Hi Everyone,

My Calais V V6 Sportswagon tonight when I started it the message "service steering column lock" came up and disappeared. The car started and appeared to work as normal on the drive home. In the garage, I stopped the car and restarted it again without issue.

Only yesterday I had a wheel alignment, balance and rotation. Just a coincidence maybe ??. I know that other forum members have experienced this message and are just wondering if it is serious and warrants taking it to the dealer now or can I wait till the next service in 2 months time.

Thanks for any advice.

Papa007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
Hi Flukey. If you look through this thread you will see I had this problem. In brief I escalated it up the chain through the Holden TechConnect on their Website. After 3 Months of them doing nothing to the car but making me change stuff on my iPhone turns out the problem was the MyLink. They replaced it and problem solved. Not bad since I told them to do it to begin with. It literally takes seconds to Index, I think I have around 1000 Songs. Take no crap demand that they change the MyLink. I see you live in Victoria mine was done in Mornington and believe me they know me for all their wrong reasons. Keep posting what happens Im curious. Not sure how old yours is but i took delivery of my VF SV6 around July last year. Apparently they had a problem with the early models... they tell me now.

Papa007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
It's very petty I know but is anyone else bothered by the constant tapping of the front passenger seatbelt buckle against the plastic trim while driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG ! I thought I was the only one that had this problem. It is a complete pain in the ass. I dropped my kids at school and 9 times out of 10 I have to pull over and adjust it as it drives me mad with its rattling. I had a VE before my VF and I never had this problem in 3 years of driving. Serious design Issue here !!

jasonjea

Reaction score
Website
www.aus-chat.com
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6 UTE
OMG ! I thought I was the only one that had this problem. It is a complete pain in the ass. I dropped my kids at school and 9 times out of 10 I have to pull over and adjust it as it drives me mad with its rattling. I had a VE before my VF and I never had this problem in 3 years of driving. Serious design Issue here !!

Same here

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

WhiteVXBerlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
I remember reading that the VE had been benchmarked against the BMWs for build quality. How have you found your VFs for general build quality? E.g. panel fit etc.

_Jay_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VF Clubsport R8
I remember reading that the VE had been benchmarked against the BMWs for build quality. How have you found your VFs for general build quality? E.g. panel fit etc.

I'm not sure what the experts will tell you but dollar for dollar I honestly don't care - my opinion.
We have a 2013 BMW 435i M sport and a 2013 Vf ssv Redline and I can tell you that there is no competition "build quality" wise between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

Halt! HALT!! Just a minor clarification before we jump in to compare build quality of our $45k VF family sedan to $110k+ luxury purposed, Bavarian built, exotic coupés...
There is a history of Wheels Magazine comparisons to which you refer and one made note of Holden's (then new) 2006 VE having been benchmarked throughout the development of its dynamics against the BMW E39 530i.

4uvu2abu.jpg

Despite what you read not all BMWs are performers, this particular car has the raw performance of a slug by comparison to any VE, so upon release of the new Holden, Wheels Magazine decided to compare a VE Calais to a 2006 E60 550i and the new Mercedes Benz E500.
It's a bloody good read, but Wheels Magazine said in summary:
We'd happily choose the Calais V-series V8 over a 550i, even if money wasn't an object. Of the three, it's the best driver's car, even though its handling edge isn't as marked as the E500's superiority in ride and refinement. On pure ability, the E500 wins, but the Calais is so much more than a close second-best. It's the underdog, the straight-talker, the champion that came from nothing, the celebrity without affectation.
Indeed, it's the very epitome of Australian -- or at least what 'Australian' should be -- and that's something to be genuinely proud of. Full article.
Holden's benchmark comparison for VE's build quality (back then) was in fact Audi's multi award winning A6 C5:

jeteqy3a.jpg

Achtung! Achtung!! Audi's quality benchmark for the new VE, World Car of the Year:

a4aru9ep.jpg

As a fitting footnote to put paid to the mad Teutonic obsession with frivolous fashion and its role in the perception of genuine quality...
The A6 C5 cost $135,400 new however in today's market as a second hand euro luxury vehicle the same Audi which was actually VE's quality benchmark averages the same mean asking price on CarSales as a Commodore VTII.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Jay,
By no competition between the two do you mean they are of similar build quality or one is far superior to the other?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Pir4TE,

I've read numerous similar comparisons in various mags over the years, and on our roads and broader environment, the Holden has always performed well. As much as I like some Euro's, particularly BMW and Audi, I really don't believe they are as well suited to the bush as our homegrown cars. By bush I mean outside metro areas. IMO country roads and climates are far too harsh for these "soft around the middle" imports. They are very nice cars and great to drive, but I see a lot of not so old Euro's with flaking paint and blue smoke, and oh that depreciation!

Too bad Holden has decided to cease manufacturing, just as it really comes of age with the VF.:undead: