Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I'm starting to think twice now about getting a new Redline, it seems a lot of you are having quite a few issues/complaints with the VF's...not good "customer feedback" at all. I hope I'm wrong though as I still want one.

Just because you see a few people complaining on a forum isn't reason to think a car is unreliable. Warranty claims per vehicle have been way on the down for Holden for some time, and have actually been quite minimal for VF considering the amount of new components (a whole new electrical platform for example) coming over from VE.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
I'm starting to think twice now about getting a new Redline, it seems a lot of you are having quite a few issues/complaints with the VF's...not good "customer feedback" at all. I hope I'm wrong though as I still want one.

The air conditioning seems to have been the common fault with these cars, right from the launch of VF. As a developer I will tell you that occasionally the software does gets confused. Its happened three times in the three years of ownership. Once was the steering column fault, which I am pretty sure was the angle of the front wheels and the parking spot, messing with the column lock and software and the other two was a genuine bug where the MyLink just got confused. For the first I wiggled the wheel as you would a conventional steering column lock and retried and all was good. For the latter two turning the car off and on fixed that. Since the last software update I haven't seen any of these problems reoccur.

I do want to stress that absolutely nothing critical that puts your life at risk goes wrong with these cars. The engine doesn't quit or the gearbox drop in reverse of anything like that. Its mostly all around MyLink. It does seem some of the later cars have had more issues, but I can really only go from my own personal experience which I will share with you. Mine is one of the original VF Redline's to come down the line. It had an issue with the drivers seat moving under umm "high speed" cornering, which was fixed on the first service. Otherwise and despite like a dozen recalls for checking things, my car has been fantastic. Every bit as reliable as the Mazda 6 MPS I traded for it, which in itself was also a great car.

The Redline's are a fun car to own and drive and with the LS3 adding a great sound track, I would recommend one to you. Honestly if they had been like some previous Falcon models I have owned, I wouldn't make that recommendation, but the VF has its quirks, which I will put down to personality, but overall its a good package and works well where it counts.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
The Redline is a great car. Its only let down by sub-standard heat/AC and Mylink.

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Steering Column lock can happen with any car that has electric steering column lock. If your front wheels are pushed up against the gutter say, the solenoid for the steering lock cannot release until you move the wheel and take the pressure off the solenoid. Easy if you know. should come up with something on the dash.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I have had my CalaisV VF since December 2013 and love the car, despite missing 2 cylinders ( this will be rectified with a Redline in 6 months). From the very start I had an issue with heating/cooling where cool air would come out the front vents, and warm air out the back seat vents. I never really stressed too much about it because most of my driving has been for work with only me in the car.
Anyway last week I decided to book it into Holden to make sure it was recorded before I hit 100k (at 97k now). It was scheduled for today but I had to put it off until next week. In the last week I have done a few long trips and have cycled from hot to cold quite a few times and believe it or not, the problem has diminished significantly, even to the point I am considering cancelling the appointment at Holden.
Overall, I am very happy with the car and am looking forward to getting my hands on a Redline.

blakethemus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
The Redline is a great car. Its only let down by sub-standard heat/AC and Mylink.

Commodores have had crap AC since the beginning of time. Dads VN, VS, VSII statesman, all had issues with AC, My VE, VEII both have had issues. At least with the VFII it was still under warranty when the compressor and seals all went.

In saying that I hope the Redline will get the heated/vented seats the SS in the US gets.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Our VS Berlina had great aircon; no blowing cold air in your face before the heater-core came up to temp in winter, for example.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've got nothing to complain about with the a/c & heating in my VS.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Commodores have had crap AC since the beginning of time.
I must be lucky as we have a VR commodore (touch wood no problems yet) that I've had since a demo from 1994 and this car has done over 300,000 K's and I've only had the air con serviced 3 times in this period and its still firing out blocks of ice its that cold.
The only disappointment about this was after about 10 years of no servicing the air con I decided to get it re gassed although it was OK only for the re gas to run out after two weeks after the service and so did my neighbours car that recommended me to go there as his car also ran out of gas whilst he was 1000 k's away from his house on holidays.
I rang the mob took the car back and they said I needed a new compressor as it was leaking plus the evaporator was stuffed. I went home and with a black light at night found the system to be leaking out of the 17mm connection on the drying filter which they had replaced.

I tightened both sides of the filter and took the car to another air con mob and they re gassed it $$$$ and its been firing out ice cubes for the last 5 years. By the way my neighbour with a different car had the same issue and after a re gas 1000 K away and his suss leakage found he also has had no more issues with his car . F%$#@!&*( ) Scum bags and this is one of the reason why I hate any one touching anything of ours. Make you own opinion on what transpired here.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The globe went out in the user interface for our VS's climate-control, making it a bit random to use at night until I replaced it, does that count? :)