Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF HSV DRL/Fog light wiring loom to SS wiring loom

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
so i began the endeavour of upgrading my front end from a 2015 SSV to a 2015 VF HSV clubsport front end . i purchased all the necessary parts only to remove my bumper and find the wiring loom connectors are different , there are 4 additional wires on the HSV loom which i was assuming is for the DRL lights to dim whilst the head lights are on .

i was at the cross roads of doing the snip and match the same colours on the loom which were in the same position , but i didn't want to go through all that to find it screwed up everything .

would anyone have any light to shed on this , I'm quite stuck as far as knowing what i should do , there shouldn't be much to change as it has the same amount of sensors , the fog lights are the same , it is just the DRL .

any help or info would be much appreciated - iv attached a pic of the hsv loom .

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,849

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
As a Clubsport owner (2013 is mine), they are not fog lights on the HSV, they are driving lights that activate with high beam, also the drls have a different relay that drops the power to them when the headlights are on instead of being on or off, without actually taking my front bar off they are the main differences between a ssv to a HSV

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
Thanks for your reply , I didn't know they weren't fog lights , I understood the details with the DRL how they are on constantly . Iv read a thread in the states just recently how an Aussie got a gts bumper fitted to his SS and worked out the wiring some how , Iv sent him a message . Apparently a Lot of SS owners want the drls on constantly so they've done the relay mod .

But still I'm stuck and have no direction with this .

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
Thanks for your reply , I didn't know they weren't fog lights , I understood the details with the DRL how they are on constantly . Iv read a thread in the states just recently how an Aussie got a gts bumper fitted to his SS and worked out the wiring some how , Iv sent him a message . Apparently a Lot of SS owners want the drls on constantly so they've done the relay mod .

But still I'm stuck and have no direction with this .

All good, here is the article from this site for the drls being on

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/drl-dimmed-headlights-how-guide.231538

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
yeah i have seen this thread going around . i also found this online which could assist me in the process .

LED Daytime Running DRL FOG Light Relay Harness Control ON OFF Dimmer FOR CAR | eBay

if i was going to have a muck around at getting this working i would want to find a spare loom off another vf so i could chop the wires and still use my old one just in case nothing worked out . starting to get a better understanding of what wires do what with the more reading i do online . but not 100% confident at this stage .

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
for anyone that can help me , iv managed to assess all the wires and pinpoint each colour comparison on each bar - if anyone can shed some light do speak - cheers guys. iv noticed the sensor wires are similar , wondering i bought that relay kit from eBay to use as the dimmer etc. so to nail it down there are 4 extra wires on the hsv loom , 2 i gather for a useless plug hanging there , and 2 additional colour combination wires going to the DRL

HSV LOOM : (16 wire)

LH DRL
- purple/grey
- purple/green
- black

RH DRL
- purple/green
- grey/brown
- black

Sensors : ( 4 sensors ) 3 wires per sensor

1. grey + brown + black/blue
2. brown + green + black/blue
3. yellow/grey + brown + black/blue
4. purple/grey + brown + black/blue

Alert lights / fog
both have 1 : red/brown + black

spare plug : (just hanging off the loom )
grey + black

1. red/brown
2.grey
3.brown/grey
4.black
5.black
6.green/purple
7.brown
8.purple/white
9.yellow/grey
10.grey
11.green
12.black/blue
13.purple/grey
14.white/grey
15.black
16.purple/grey

SSV LOOM (12 wire)

1.black - GROUND 1 DRL
2.black/blue - sensor
3.purple/green - DRL
4.purple/white - sensor
5.brown - fog
6.yellow/grey - sensor
7.grey
8.purple/grey - DRL
9.purple/brown - sensor
10.green - sensor
11.white/grey ?
12.black - GROUND 2 DRL

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
i just tried putting some wire into the connector plug with a wire + and - to a 12v drill battery and managed to light everything up , fogs worked together off the one negative , and the DRL lit up individually off a seperate negative . so if i wanted to do this properly i should purchase that relay kit , and have the unit dimming like a hsv does when headlights are on . still a little ignorant i knowing how to do all that though . but it looks like ill be able to put my bumper on if i use the wires mentioned .

so looking at all my pins on both plugs , with the SSV loom it only has 2 grounds where as HSV has 3 , the fog uses one and the DRL uses one , so the extra ground is for that plug that was hanging there .

so I'm feeling a little more confident to chop my looms and do the wiring with some crimps .

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
i just tried putting some wire into the connector plug with a wire + and - to a 12v drill battery and managed to light everything up , fogs worked together off the one negative , and the DRL lit up individually off a seperate negative . so if i wanted to do this properly i should purchase that relay kit , and have the unit dimming like a hsv does when headlights are on . still a little ignorant i knowing how to do all that though . but it looks like ill be able to put my bumper on if i use the wires mentioned .

so looking at all my pins on both plugs , with the SSV loom it only has 2 grounds where as HSV has 3 , the fog uses one and the DRL uses one , so the extra ground is for that plug that was hanging there .

so I'm feeling a little more confident to chop my looms and do the wiring with some crimps .

I think the extra plug would be for the Bi-modal intake on the SV versions and the GTS as they went to a electrionic controlled before the series 2 where the early ones were vacuum controlled

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
oh well that makes some sense , i was looking around as if it was unplugged from somewhere . so now I'm going to do a mock up harness and extend the wires off the factory unit and trial the bumper with crimps just on the off chance that something doesn't work so i can rewire my ssv bumper back without having to remove it , as it was a pain in the ass removing the 40 or so screws they've used lol. this way i can test it with the car on , make sure the sensors all work . and by the looks the alert lights on the hsv can work as fog lights , and the DRLS will work as a standard ssv / ss

just wondering , the extra wire on the hsv DRLS for the dimming - how can i use it incorporating the dimming function , will this wire be any use with the relay kit off eBay ??

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
oh well that makes some sense , i was looking around as if it was unplugged from somewhere . so now I'm going to do a mock up harness and extend the wires off the factory unit and trial the bumper with crimps just on the off chance that something doesn't work so i can rewire my ssv bumper back without having to remove it , as it was a pain in the ass removing the 40 or so screws they've used lol. this way i can test it with the car on , make sure the sensors all work . and by the looks the alert lights on the hsv can work as fog lights , and the DRLS will work as a standard ssv / ss

just wondering , the extra wire on the hsv DRLS for the dimming - how can i use it incorporating the dimming function , will this wire be any use with the relay kit off eBay ??

Quite possible, but I don't happen to have access to a wiring guide to confirm