Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF LWR LPG V6 oil showing above max on dipstick, overfull?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A slight overfill won't effect how the engine runs, a couple of extra litres will but not 500ml.
Sorry but I have to dissagree. Like I said twice now overfilling slings extra oil onto the bores causing ring skate which leads to bore glazing. Yes it won't have a noticeable effect on the engine you're correct there but it leads to walloed out glazed bores.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You assume they run the oil level that close to the crank?

On our engine someone actually measured the sump volume and even with an extra litre it wasn't over the baffle so no chance of oil getting in the crank.

If you seriously overfill than yes I agree but a slight overfill I highly doubt it.

edit: glazed bores will lead to poor engine performance and increased oil consumption over time and that is not an issue i've encountered.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
You assume they run the oil level that close to the crank?

in shanes world everything is flat(no hills) and the oil never changes its position in the sump so the crank sits 5mm above the fill line on the dipstick ;)

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I parked in an under cover car park (no rain so a flat floor). Checked the level after doing my shopping, it was sitting a bee's dick just under the full mark, I'm happy with that :) Thanks heaps to all of you for your contributing comments, I've learned quite a bit, drive safe ;)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
in shanes world everything is flat(no hills) and the oil never changes its position in the sump so the crank sits 5mm above the fill line on the dipstick ;)
Yea okay maybe 5mm is not going to do much but it's better to stay under. Subaru and Porsche ecspecially.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Boxer motors are completely different kettle of fish to our GM donks...