Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF manual our automatic

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The 10 fastest VE/VF are automatic on every 1/4 mile leaderboards.
ie if you want to realise the car's performance 0-100 or 0-160 or 400m then auto will go further with slight mods.
Plus it saves up to 35% with AFM.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Due to a bit of an ordeal with our dealer I now have the choice to either get the redline that I want in an auto or wait for the manual one that I have on order. Just wanting some opinions on the auto.

the auto behind the V8 is a piece of pox. crappy unintuitive slurry ...should I say more?
and don't even think of towing something with an automatic VE/VF. The number of up/down changes
will drive you mad!

I have only had VE V8 manuals ( 3 of them) as having driven auto versions...there is simply no way i would purchase one
plus the manual is a good unit now and also the clutch is driver friendly ( I drive mine to and from work and between all of our plants in Melbourne)

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
You can't use 10kw as a reason to buy. 10kw is piss all.

And yet that is about what each model HSV goes up by and everyone makes a big deal about it.

You probably couldn't even notice the power difference if they were in exactly the same car but it would do my head in knowing I'd pay more for an auto and got less power.

Koity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I have a manuas VF SSV and its easy to drive. I couldn't imagine driving a V8 auto, the gear changing is half the fun! Although i don't live in a major city where i have bumper to bumper traffic so its all up to you in the end.

In regards to being worried about the wife driving it, my wife loves driving the VF because its so easy.. and this is coming from a woman who has driven a kia rio for 7 years!

viper76

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-Z Redline
I like to drive my car not let it drive me so manual all the way.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I don't own a VF, I own a VE however, I just want to make the point that I was a die hard manual fan I still do love manuals and I refused to own an auto. But after test driving the auto before I passed judgement on the car I recently purchased I was pleasantly surprised. The auto was good! They go just as good as a manual and are quicker off the line. People who bag autos too much are usually boy racers anyway. My auto has now been calibrated so it's much better than stock anyway. I'm a truck driver and I change gears all day every day. I enjoy being lazy in my car. On previous model commodores it wasn't even a question in my opinion as you had either a 6 speed manual or a crapy boring 4 speed auto that couldn't even be manually shifted where as with the VE VF they're both 6 speeds and yea we all know the A6 isn't the best auto on the market but hey AMG dont use autos for fun. I'd own a manual again for sure but I'm happy with the auto. Just My two cents.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Never driven one but I've tested a few HSV and SS's and the clutch it extremely light, even lighter than in my VZ V6. Consider that as it won't be a strain on your left leg.

wayno01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Your profile ride is telling me that you have already chosen and just want us to verify your choice.

That one is entirely up to you. Nobody else can make that choice

I put that profile ride up there not long after I orded the original car which was a manual but one has been traded in at our dealer but is an auto. There is still a 4 week wait on ours (all ready been 2 months) and wanted some info on the auto (cause at the moment there are none to test drive) before I made a decision on it. our last car was a VX S in auto and was gutless compared to the manual and was wondering, off people that own a ve/vf in an auto what their thoughts are.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I put that profile ride up there not long after I orded the original car which was a manual but one has been traded in at our dealer but is an auto. There is still a 4 week wait on ours (all ready been 2 months) and wanted some info on the auto (cause at the moment there are none to test drive) before I made a decision on it. our last car was a VX S in auto and was gutless compared to the manual and was wondering, off people that own a ve/vf in an auto what their thoughts are.

If you're getting a V8 they go as good as each other. A V6 not so sure never driven a VE V6 except a few omega hire cars and the like.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2