Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Model Sales Split

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I currently own a Calais V V6 sedan, before that an SS Thunder ute, and before that an SS V Sportwagon. I would have bought another Sportwagon this time, probably Calais V for the features but I couldn't get past the old rear end. My next purchase in 2 years will either be a SSV Redline or Calais V V 8, both in sedan.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
You blokes who couldn't get over the crème micro suede interior and went with an SS or SSV don't know what you're missing ;-) I've driven all three, and sorry but the SS in particular, but also the SSV feel lackluster in comparison. I'm a bit old fashioned no doubt, but for me the crème stripe on the seats is appealing. My last two SV6's had full black interior and a bit of colour really helps by adding some contrast. If I had the choice I would have optioned the crème micro suede over the black. JMO.

I honestly believe the last of the HSV's, Redlines and SSV's will become sought after post Holden manufacturing in Aus.

As far as SS sales go, I think some SV6 buyers are probably drawn toward the V8 market by the low price of the SS, then take the additional step to the SSV. The SS is filling the same segment as the SV8 in the VY's IMO. I.e market entry level V8. The problem for the SS is that the V adds so much more for relatively little extra $.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
When Holden and Ford abandoned Australians did they think we would support them with good sales. Dropping quality right through the ve range was not going to help the vf. Toyota will do great out of all this.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Chicken and egg stuff there Mate. Did Holden and Ford abandon the Aussie mkt or was it the other way round? Me thinks if sales were good I wouldn't be typing this message. As the owner of three VE's from 2006 to 2013, and driver of many more, I think it is pretty apparent that QC improved with each iteration of the VE, rather than declined.
BTW Toymota is ceasing Aus manufacturing too. Have you driven a Camry lately? God help us:eek:

RooiLyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F-2 Senator Signature
Yeah, kept me out of a Redline unfortunately.

On a test drive the first thing I asked the salesperson was about changing out the cream trim. On the news it couldn't be done, it wasn't a deal breaker initially given the extras with a redline...but after 5mins in the car I just couldn't get past it.

I confirmed with the manager after the drive that it couldn't be done, and given the positives of the redline, I was disappointed, but for me it was a deal breaker, it just looks terrible in my opinion.

Seems I'm not the only one….Dealer also told me that only recently someone had ordered a Redline under the impression it was to be optioned with a black interior, and on delivery refused to take the car!

Shows it's all about personal taste really. I have a work colleague who has a Gen F R8 with the black interior and both she and I much prefer the bone coloured trim in my Redline - to me it just makes the car feel more open and airy. If there'd been an option I still would have taken this interior. Another work colleague chose a Redline over the R8 coz amongst other things he preferred the interior colour.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
if possible would one of you top blokes(ie cuda or rooilyn)post an interior pic of the said cream suede stuff?..no biggie but as i haven't seen one in the flesh im curiarse whats the deal with the love/hate décor vibe im reading..cheers..
for those that don't like it,perhaps the interior may be reviewed and other options available in S2 version??

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Definately can't get the Jet Black trim in the Redline or Calais and Calais V. It has burnt a few people, but the majority of people accept that it is the only option and have learnt to live with it.

Wagon buyers have moved on to SUV's and Ute buyers have moved on to LCV's (Ranger, Colorado, etc.) This is probably not a bad thing for Holden, because profit margins in these are far greater, being cheaply built imports for Korea and Thailand. They would be making money on Commodore's, but not at the same level as the imports.

The big hurt at the moment is Barina and Cruze. Their sales are just so underwhelming, particularly Cruze in the last 5 months. It has become a car that is so difficult to move now and being locally built, Holden just can't afford to discount them any further without losing a huge amount of money. Some hard decisions will have to be made soon in regards to keep building them locally. The only problem being that in order to keep receiving Government subsidies, I believe the factory has to build a minimum of 30,000 cars a year. Without Cruze, in the long term I can't see the Commodore retaining sales at this level, so they may be forced to either stop receiving the Government grants and lose more money building cars locally, or close down the factory early. The implications of this for Ford are even worse, because their sales volumes are even worse than Holden. They are pushing 1,000's of cars into their company fleet and into guaranteed buy back rentals, just to move the stock, because they can't be retailed without further pushing retail prices down....

In the latest issue of Wheels, the market analysis which appears each month shows that Ford only shifted 461 Falcons during January, the lowest monthly total since Falcon production began. That works out at around 5,500 per year, which obviously isn't cost-effective. Last month's issue had details of the next (last) Falcon facelift, but with such poor numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford cans that model and closes down production much sooner than 2016.

Holden have made some poor decisions over the last decade and obviously, entering local production with the Cruze is another one. It was a car that was already at half-life when local production commenced, so you have to wonder what sort of numbers they hoped to sell. The shame is that so much hard work went into the latest version and it's so much better than the first imported models, but it looks almost identical and so many newer models, particularly from Korea, have been released recently. I don't mind the Barina design and I would at least consider it if I was in the market for that sort of vehicle, but again, the other Koreans do the same sort of car so much better than Daewoo, who build the Barina. (It's actually designed by an Aussie, but that isn't helping it much.) It's really difficult to understand why there is so much of a gulf between Hyundai/Kia and Daewoo. Two are churning out the cars people want, the other is turning out sludge. The GM influence isn't helping matters at all. And we've already discussed the Malibu (who?). Still only two sighted on local roads after nine months.

I looked at the interiors of the VF when they first appeared and thought the cream interior trim on the Redline looked out of place. Like others here, I preferred the black. I didn't know there was no alternative and that would probably turn me off too if I was in the market for a Redline.

MPC78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV manual sedan on order
You blokes who couldn't get over the crème micro suede interior and went with an SS or SSV don't know what you're missing ;-) I've driven all three, and sorry but the SS in particular, but also the SSV feel lackluster in comparison. I'm a bit old fashioned no doubt, but for me the crème stripe on the seats is appealing. My last two SV6's had full black interior and a bit of colour really helps by adding some contrast. If I had the choice I would have optioned the crème micro suede over the black. JMO.

I honestly believe the last of the HSV's, Redlines and SSV's will become sought after post Holden manufacturing in Aus.

As far as SS sales go, I think some SV6 buyers are probably drawn toward the V8 market by the low price of the SS, then take the additional step to the SSV. The SS is filling the same segment as the SV8 in the VY's IMO. I.e market entry level V8. The problem for the SS is that the V adds so much more for relatively little extra $.

I think the cream/white/off white/ivory or the beige looks good in the Calais models. I think it suits my mates Calais V Sportwagon. However, not so keen on it for a sports model. Also, with 3 kids I reckon it would be looking fairly shabby pretty quickly. I still would have bought a Redline and I'm sure would have been very happy with it had the funds allowed though.

Cuda, I agree the SS appears to have taken the place of the SV8 in the line up and the percentage is sales of V8 models overall is potentially about the same. I also agree that the SSV is more appealing given the additional price jump is not great. However, SS's appear to be heavily discounted in dealer land so are good value imo if that's as far as the budget stretches.

One other thing about the interior of my SSV, as with my VE SS Sportwagon the roof trim is the light colour which I prefer over the dark trim of my brothers VE SSV sedan. I think his cabin is a little too sombre. He likes it though and that's what counts.

ozdrexler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Great thread and chat fellas. If you are a private buyer there's no way you would spring on an Omega, you would spend a little more and get a Calais or Sv6. The Calais is a classy car. A mate of mine is struggling to pull the trigger on a Redline at the moment simply because of that cream coloured felt on the dash, doors and seats. He'd prefer the SSV interior (I agree the all black and chrome looks a lot classier) but then wants the extra redline stuff which is more than worthwhile but you cant option it on an SSV.

I wonder if the cream bits in the redline are hurting sales and keeping people in SSV's as the redline is definitely worth the extra spend IMHO apart from the cream highlights.

I was initially put off by the cream too. However, after sitting in the redline for a bit, and then taking it out for a spin, I certainly got over it and bought one. I learnt to live with it and to be honest, I dont mind it now. I commented on a thread months ago about the interior with the exact same concerns, but having driven 5500km in my redline now, I am glad I bought it!

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Yeah comes down to personal taste and what you can live with I suppose for the money.