Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Model Sales Split

MPC78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV manual sedan on order
Hi All, does anyone know what the percentage split of sales is across the various models in the VF range. Good to know as much detail as possible(body style, transmission choice etc). However, I'm mostly interested in the split between models/trim levels.

When I bought my SSV a few weeks ago I asked the salesman about the V8 models and he said an even split between SSV's and SSV Redline's and they both outsell SS's by a fair margin.

Anyone got some figures even if they are anecdotal? Any Holden sales people out there with a clue?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi All, does anyone know what the percentage split of sales is across the various models in the VF range. Good to know as much detail as possible(body style, transmission choice etc). However, I'm mostly interested in the split between models/trim levels.

When I bought my SSV a few weeks ago I asked the salesman about the V8 models and he said an even split between SSV's and SSV Redline's and they both outsell SS's by a fair margin.

I haven't got any official numbers however from memory, your sales guy is right on the money.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
I can't give you an accurate split, but early on the 'heavier' models were certainly selling very well, even better than when VE was released.

We're still selling a fair few Calais V V6 Sedan's, which was almost unheard of in the past. SSV Sedan is also selling well, but the Redline has well and truly dried up. SS Sedan is dismal and to be honest even SV6 Sedan is pretty slow, but the sale price on them is actually a bit higher than during VE. If they were to start selling these in the mid 30's again, they would probably pick up a bit...

Ute and Wagon sales are absolutely dismal, to the point where they are pretty much redundant already. I won't stock them anymore, because they just sit, with nil enquiry. There's no point keeping a car in stock for 6 months if you can't sell it. Most Ute customer's are now waiting up to 3 months to get a car, because there's simply no stock. Holden has adjusted built volumes on Ute and Wagon down to the point where they may as well not even bother anymore.

It's still early days for the VF, so the sales split is very difficult to define. This is why early on some people were waiting 2 and 3 months for a car, because it is hard to predict which models are going to be popular and which ones will be a dud.

MPC78

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can't give you an accurate split, but early on the 'heavier' models were certainly selling very well, even better than when VE was released.

We're still selling a fair few Calais V V6 Sedan's, which was almost unheard of in the past. SSV Sedan is also selling well, but the Redline has well and truly dried up. SS Sedan is dismal and to be honest even SV6 Sedan is pretty slow, but the sale price on them is actually a bit higher than during VE. If they were to start selling these in the mid 30's again, they would probably pick up a bit...

Ute and Wagon sales are absolutely dismal, to the point where they are pretty much redundant already. I won't stock them anymore, because they just sit, with nil enquiry. There's no point keeping a car in stock for 6 months if you can't sell it. Most Ute customer's are now waiting up to 3 months to get a car, because there's simply no stock. Holden has adjusted built volumes on Ute and Wagon down to the point where they may as well not even bother anymore.

It's still early days for the VF, so the sales split is very difficult to define. This is why early on some people were waiting 2 and 3 months for a car, because it is hard to predict which models are going to be popular and which ones will be a dud.

Thanks for that insight. I'm surprised the Ute and Wagon are selling so slowly. The Sydney dealer I bought mine from had lots of stock of both. Perhaps they had been sitting there a while. They had 3 2013 Redline manual sedans also so perhaps they have slowed up. SSV sedan was hardest to get. They had one manual and one auto.

A mate bought a Redline Ute last month and another a Calais V Sportwagon V6 last week. Another plans on getting a V8 Sportwagon (spec unknown at this stage) in July/August. I think my brother will replace his VE SSV sedan with another mid next year.

A white SS Sportwagon was being delivered at the same time as mine. These cars are so good. The market must have well and truly moved on if they are not selling.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
There is a lot of competition out in the market these days, and sales of smaller cars has taken over from the traditional
Holden and Falcon of older days.
Tim I presume would see the smaller car sales going up being involved in the industry. We have a very good line up of imported cars now, and quality is way better on those cars than years ago.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks for that insight. I'm surprised the Ute and Wagon are selling so slowly. The Sydney dealer I bought mine from had lots of stock of both. Perhaps they had been sitting there a while. They had 3 2013 Redline manual sedans also so perhaps they have slowed up. SSV sedan was hardest to get. They had one manual and one auto.

A mate bought a Redline Ute last month and another a Calais V Sportwagon V6 last week. Another plans on getting a V8 Sportwagon (spec unknown at this stage) in July/August. I think my brother will replace his VE SSV sedan with another mid next year.

A white SS Sportwagon was being delivered at the same time as mine. These cars are so good. The market must have well and truly moved on if they are not selling.

If Holden could find another 10,000 families like yours, we wouldn't be talking about their demise.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Great thread and chat fellas. If you are a private buyer there's no way you would spring on an Omega, you would spend a little more and get a Calais or Sv6. The Calais is a classy car. A mate of mine is struggling to pull the trigger on a Redline at the moment simply because of that cream coloured felt on the dash, doors and seats. He'd prefer the SSV interior (I agree the all black and chrome looks a lot classier) but then wants the extra redline stuff which is more than worthwhile but you cant option it on an SSV.

I wonder if the cream bits in the redline are hurting sales and keeping people in SSV's as the redline is definitely worth the extra spend IMHO apart from the cream highlights.

benSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
A mate of mine is struggling to pull the trigger on a Redline at the moment simply because of that cream coloured felt on the dash, doors and seats. He'd prefer the SSV interior (I agree the all black and chrome looks a lot classier) but then wants the extra redline stuff which is more than worthwhile but you cant option it on an SSV.

I wonder if the cream bits in the redline are hurting sales and keeping people in SSV's as the redline is definitely worth the extra spend IMHO apart from the cream highlights.

Yeah, kept me out of a Redline unfortunately.

On a test drive the first thing I asked the salesperson was about changing out the cream trim. On the news it couldn't be done, it wasn't a deal breaker initially given the extras with a redline...but after 5mins in the car I just couldn't get past it.

I confirmed with the manager after the drive that it couldn't be done, and given the positives of the redline, I was disappointed, but for me it was a deal breaker, it just looks terrible in my opinion.

Seems I'm not the only one….Dealer also told me that only recently someone had ordered a Redline under the impression it was to be optioned with a black interior, and on delivery refused to take the car!

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
Definately can't get the Jet Black trim in the Redline or Calais and Calais V. It has burnt a few people, but the majority of people accept that it is the only option and have learnt to live with it.

Wagon buyers have moved on to SUV's and Ute buyers have moved on to LCV's (Ranger, Colorado, etc.) This is probably not a bad thing for Holden, because profit margins in these are far greater, being cheaply built imports for Korea and Thailand. They would be making money on Commodore's, but not at the same level as the imports.

The big hurt at the moment is Barina and Cruze. Their sales are just so underwhelming, particularly Cruze in the last 5 months. It has become a car that is so difficult to move now and being locally built, Holden just can't afford to discount them any further without losing a huge amount of money. Some hard decisions will have to be made soon in regards to keep building them locally. The only problem being that in order to keep receiving Government subsidies, I believe the factory has to build a minimum of 30,000 cars a year. Without Cruze, in the long term I can't see the Commodore retaining sales at this level, so they may be forced to either stop receiving the Government grants and lose more money building cars locally, or close down the factory early. The implications of this for Ford are even worse, because their sales volumes are even worse than Holden. They are pushing 1,000's of cars into their company fleet and into guaranteed buy back rentals, just to move the stock, because they can't be retailed without further pushing retail prices down....

MPC78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Great thread and chat fellas. If you are a private buyer there's no way you would spring on an Omega, you would spend a little more and get a Calais or Sv6. The Calais is a classy car. A mate of mine is struggling to pull the trigger on a Redline at the moment simply because of that cream coloured felt on the dash, doors and seats. He'd prefer the SSV interior (I agree the all black and chrome looks a lot classier) but then wants the extra redline stuff which is more than worthwhile but you cant option it on an SSV.

Interesting point. I would have bought a Redline if I could have afforded one but I'm not keen on the Cream interior and I much prefer the interior in my SSV. I wonder how many people have not bought one because of it. Surely a relatively low percentage?