Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF MY15 about the car staying idle for a week or so

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
We have a VF GTS at work that had had 2 new batteries in the past 12 months. it barely moves, and the battery goes flat after around 3 weeks. Apart from losing radio settings, there are no gremlins that pop up when either changing batteries or charging the flat battery.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
At times I leave my VF SSV sitting in the garage for up to 6 weeks without touching it, and it starts no problem. My previous VF SS would only last about a week before it went flat. Crazy.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
We have a VF GTS at work that had had 2 new batteries in the past 12 months. it barely moves, and the battery goes flat after around 3 weeks. Apart from losing radio settings, there are no gremlins that pop up when either changing batteries or charging the flat battery.

thanks for your valuable info.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
At times I leave my VF SSV sitting in the garage for up to 6 weeks without touching it, and it starts no problem. My previous VF SS would only last about a week before it went flat. Crazy.

Now this is interesting!!. Is it possible that a NEW current VF say 2016 MY2016 or maybe even a late 2015 MY2015 might have software changes/larger capacity battery from earlier VF's say MY2013 or 2014 that have made the current or later VF's more power economical battery wise when the vehicle is not used for a week or so.
Can you please give us the year and the "MY" of your previous and current ride.
thanks

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
My heap of **** VF SS was a MY13, my SSV is a MY14.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Sorry for the late reply guys thanks to Telstra and no internet and we were told its going to be like this for another week or more.
Transport Mode sounds Interesting but I think I might connect the VF to my Projector Battery Charger system that I use for other older cars I have. I do have a spare Projector Battery conditioner battery charger and I might use it like my other cars with easy connect and disconnect waterproof connector. All I need now is to find the best place to put one of these waterproof connectors and to connect it to the battery with a fuse where the battery lives in the boot.

I have one of those chargers, they are fantastic - but a week doesn't sound long enough to flatten a battery - my second car is absolute max driven once a week (V2 Monaro) and often left for a month. Any longer than a month and I'd whack the charger on.

Mine is the 12 Volt, 1600mA one.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
My heap of **** VF SS was a MY13, my SSV is a MY14.
thanks.
Anyhow today I visited jaycar and purchased the set of male (battery charge end) and waterproof female connectors (car end) that I am using in conjunction with my wall mounted Projecta battery charger for my other cars. Will install next week

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have one of those chargers, they are fantastic - but a week doesn't sound long enough to flatten a battery - my second car is absolute max driven once a week (V2 Monaro) and often left for a month. Any longer than a month and I'd whack the charger on.

Mine is the 12 Volt, 1600mA one.
I forgot to turn on my charger for the CV8Z and the battery was dead as a maggot so I could not unlock the doors but after 5 minutes of thinking I stole the battery from the car next to it (HQ GTS) and used this battery to back feed power back in the Z via the charging port and was able it open the doors.
All cars have there own power point next to them with the Projector charger next to the PP with a 200MM long lead and the DC lead is about 3M so all I do is under the wheel arch is the waterproof female connection point, lift to door and plug the battery charger end in. All cars have fuses for protection in case of a short but its just about impossible with these Male Female plugs. Both connectors are made by Duratech

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I forgot to turn on my charger for the CV8Z and the battery was dead as a maggot so I could not unlock the doors but after 5 minutes of thinking I stole the battery from the car next to it (HQ GTS) and used this battery to back feed power back in the Z via the charging port and was able it open the doors.

Can't you unlock the door by inserting the key and turning?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can't you unlock the door by inserting the key and turning?

NO It would not allow me to unlock/open the door. I did not want to force the the lock so after this I came up with the bright idea of back feeding the 12 volts via the charger port which worked 100%. Yeah!!