Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF MyLink "Flash" Aftermarket

killabob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi All,
I'm in Adelaide and totally over Holden's craptacular MyLink system.
Has anyone worked on flashing or overwriting the MyLink system into some much more user friendly?
Key things would be ability to update Sat Nav/School, Camera POIs (I have a MY15:() or use Google Maps somehow.
Nice to have, would be Android Auto.
TIA

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
No but have you considered the Alpine aftermarket unit that retains all functions for the VF?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
No but have you considered the Alpine aftermarket unit that retains all functions for the VF?
Is that the same / similar unit mentioned here?

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
this one looks okay. Sticks with the stock hardware as well.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
As your VF is an MY15, do you have all the latest software updates for the Mylink especially for the Sat Nav. I have a Series 1 and MSE and notice a considerable difference and improvement between the two and will be investigating upgrading my Series 1 to the same standard as the MSE. I am assuming it can be done as the Series 1 headunit is a different unit and I believe a higher standard to the series 2 units.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
this one looks okay. Sticks with the stock hardware as well.

Looks ugly and doesn’t suit the car. The only logos I want on my screen are Holden ones.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Still crap. Why would you change?
The reasons I would change are:
(*) I can't tell it's not stock
(*) I want maps newer than 2015 now
(*) I might want maps newer than 2015 at some time in the future, especially given we intend to keep the car a long time
(*) I hate dangly crap hanging off the windscreen so a portable unit is not the way I wanna go
(*) proper integration with hands-free would be nice (stupid newer iPhone not having all functionality through MyLink that my old Samsung S4 had)
(*) the fact that the question "why would I even want more functionality than that?" which I asked myself 5yrs ago upon VF's release was answered then with "I wouldn't", and yet now there are good reasons, mean that integration with third-party upgradeable stuff is a Good Thing
(*) the standard touch-screen is quite sucky, it's a good policy not to be prodding at it while driving but when you do need/want to it's good that it just works & you don't have to keep trying again

The reasons I wouldn't change are:
(*) a lot of the lower priced aftermarket stuff looks cheap, nasty, dodgy; meaning you pay ~$3k for the Alpine (and I think either Pioneer or Kenwood also does one? But same price) which is a helluva lot for just the ability to keep SatNav up to date (current only reason to upgrade - hell at standard depreciation rates the car'll be worth that amount before it becomes a real problem!)
(*) I have trust issues with installers AS WELL as myself (in terms of putting all the brittle plastic back together without squeaks or tabs breaking off)
(*) Alpine can't tell me whether their unit will drive the HUD (they've told me no, told other JC'ers yes, then told me no after!); I like the track naming & particularly the SatNav directions on the HUD