Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF MyLink "Flash" Aftermarket

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Looks ugly and doesn’t suit the car. The only logos I want on my screen are Holden ones.
I think you can have whatever background you like with the ICE. Including the Holden logo and "desktop" image.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
I think you can have whatever background you like with the ICE. Including the Holden logo and "desktop" image.
The one I saw 6 months or so keeps the same holden set up, and can move into the new stuff at the press of a button, and all that is totally customised. If it is buggy and doesn't work then I will look no further thats a pity.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
The one I saw 6 months or so keeps the same holden set up, and can move into the new stuff at the press of a button, and all that is totally customised. If it is buggy and doesn't work then I will look no further thats a pity.
Pretty much all aftermarket kits are buggy to some extent.

Infact.. almost all android systems not built by major manufactures (Microsoft.. Samsung.. ect) tend to have issues with being buggy, freezing and crashing.

Honestly, I would hold off doing anything to the mylink.

Why you might think? Well... its not long till the 2018 ZB commodore comes out. The sole reason I am interested in that is I plan on retro fitting their new mylink system into our VF commodore ;)

And whats so good about the 2018 ZB commodore mylink?? This simple quote below says it all:
"Both versions of the infotainment system offer built-in satellite navigation, plus Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and DAB+ digital radio."

Its going to be an interesting year in 2018 :D

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE

Infact.. almost all android systems not built by major manufactures (Microsoft.. Samsung.. ect) tend to have issues with being buggy, freezing and crashing.

Why you might think? Well... its not long till the 2018 ZB commodore comes out. The sole reason I am interested in that is I plan on retro fitting their new mylink system into our VF commodore ;)

And whats so good about the 2018 ZB commodore mylink?? This simple quote below says it all:
"Both versions of the infotainment system offer built-in satellite navigation, plus Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and DAB+ digital radio."

This sounds like a winning idea

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline

First person to transplant the 2018 mylink into the VF will be the most popular person on these forums.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
@TazzI from a business point of view, perhaps consider there are 4x as many VE series on the road than the facelift model, owner have less resistance to offend the warranty gods and willing to rejuvenate.
This is true, its also a matter of coming up with a solution with VE owners find acceptable and within budget. Adding an aftermarket system which integrates into the car is both expensive for good quality parts and also time consuming. I do find most people are pretty happy with a series2 headunit if upgrading from the basic series1 units, so that covers the 07-09 vehicles. But the factory series2 vehicles tend to want 'more' than what the unit provides.

I am working (slowly) working on a solution for the VE's. The kit hooks up the the HSV EDI port (Unused on 99% of vehicles!) and plays sound through the AUX input.
The difficult part is interfacing with the touchscreen.. the next part is a little techy.. but might be interesting to some.
Theres two main options to interface the factory touchscreen with an aftermarket audio/media unit:

1) Capture the touch 'co-ordinates' sent over the communication line.. then feed these back into the audio/visual unit. The problem with this option, is
I dont think the the co-ordinates sent are very precise, so touching small options or screen items may not be possible. This option is user friendly and requires no modification to the headunit.

2) This is the Reverse engineering current touchscreen, identify the screen type and touch pins and hard wire to it and connect to the audio/visual box. This option is not user friendly.. and really not something I want to consider.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
First person to transplant the 2018 mylink into the VF will be the most popular person on these forums.
Assuming I don't have to give a first born to purchase the first mylink from a 2018 vehicle.. then its going to happen. The second any manuals become available for the 2018 model, Ill be straight into it to see what differs.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Perhaps swap existing screen for a detachable iPhone mount with quick release, like myriad old school car audio faceplates.
You retain all hard buttons for radio and aux, all that's needed to add to CarPlay 2.0 is helper app with decent GUI on top of terminal commands as HVAC control.
Like this:
What I proposed on the G8 forum was to have the huge iPhone 6+ permanently mounted behind buttons on left and right with screen flush (it is just a smidge too big) and of course blank filled with an adaptor plate as neat surround.
58b75fcbbfe9c4cdf2ad456dc271678c.jpg

Essentially a commercial adaptor for easy slotting of complete handset. The battery and sim card and GPS and motion detector and customisability through Cydia make it the most capable head unit on the market.
This is the mount, US$99:
ifdr-panel-mount-iphone6-300px.jpg

iPhone 6 slides in to the left on tensioner top first to allow perfect peripheral coupling of serial and analog.
iFDR-PM-IPH6_unmount-panel-left_1200px.jpg

Remove the LCD from the existing IQ unit completely, swap the iPhone+ directly in its place with the mount above.

Once the phone is mounted where the LCD used to be, behind the plastic buttoned bezel, it'd be a matter of connecting to the HVAC controller as per the video and developing a decent UI on the iPhone to control the HVAC.

CarPlay iOS (versus the knackered version in some new cars as their main selling point) does a great job working with other apps, so I was thinking to build a simple "HVAC" app with a nice CarPlay theme and add it to the CarPlay home screen to make CarPlay via iPhone the true info hub.

I'm looking to keep it factory and as simple / versatile as possible, I think it' will be possible to fit with little or no mutilation of the "dash" components.

What are your initial thoughts @TazzI o_O

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Interesting!! I'm not Greedy. All I want is System that maps Are Updated Weekly not like 2 to 3 years like My Link and ALSO All Speed And Red light Camera + School Zones are also updated Weekly or less and done by them self and all you need to do is just drive into your garage and let you local wifi do it..