Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF MyLink "Flash" Aftermarket

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
@TazzI from a business point of view, perhaps consider there are 4x as many VE series on the road than the facelift model, owner have less resistance to offend the warranty gods and willing to rejuvenate.

The problem is the electrical platform in VE is Holden designed and not really compatible with many other models.

VF is built electrically on GM's global platform so it's much easier to mix and match with some custom programming.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
As the VF uses the GM global electrical platform which I assume other models such as the Barina and Astra also use and they utilise Apple car play and Android Auto What is common among all of these is that these two audio platforms and the mylink are based on the QNX software platform of which about 80% of all vehicles use. I wonder if GM like several other manufactures initially started designing and using their own software and then Apple and Google came along with their own products and the proprietary products like Mylink no longer receive any further development. I notice that Mercedes on some models no longer use their proprietary software and have now gone to the dark side which is very unusual for the them. In regard to further development of the mylink software as it is based on QNX, it is surprising that further development appears to be not occurring even if GM are not doing it as it creates a niche market for a third party software/hardware company as there would be millions of vehicles around the world using Mylink. I also wonder if the Panasonic head units may be part of the problem.

Also it is interesting that Apple use QNX as their IOS software is too unstable and has insufficient security and Android is worse again to use as the base for any car AV system.

Attached is more details on the QNX platform for members reference.

http://blackberry.qnx.com/en/products/qnxcar/index#technology

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...qnx-automotive-software-is-safe-from-cia.html

upload_2017-11-6_9-15-51.jpeg

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Thanks @Smashfist but the only reason you would need to mix and match custom programming outside the ICE core is to communicate with external modules.
Whether IQ or MyLink, each use similar (almost identical) external network protocols to interface with HVAC (VE/VF) and bimodal (VF) modules, rest is OBDII data and that's not CAN flavour specific.
So networking protocol version idiosyncrasies have nothing to do with the provision of power, audio visual in / out (whether iPhone, IQ or MyLink), only when talking with external modules.
@TazzI is working on breaking down the backdoor of the IQ sorta like jailbreaking through the EDI port, the current challenge is touchscreen mapping. I suggested using the iPhone as a detachable touchscreen input mainly for Car Play function and HVAC not through IQ but as an app.

killabob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Interesting!! I'm not Greedy. All I want is System that maps Are Updated Weekly not like 2 to 3 years like My Link and ALSO All Speed And Red light Camera + School Zones are also updated Weekly or less and done by them self and all you need to do is just drive into your garage and let you local wifi do it..

THIS!!!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
In regard to further development of the mylink software as it is based on QNX, it is surprising that further development appears to be not occurring even if GM are not doing it as it creates a niche market for a third party software/hardware company as there would be millions of vehicles around the world using Mylink.

Reason their isnt other companies producing some sort of 3rd party interface.. is because of the unfathomable complexities of the mylink.

One big reason, is its locked down tight. Updating the unit is protected by certificates, checksum and a variety of other checks which are not an easy task to get by. The QNX firmware may be open source, but the alterations and custom implementations Holden have done are not.

The next big problem, is every single vehicle has its own specific requirements and commands such as aircon/hvac, or bimodals, suspension, configurations ect ect.
Even big corporations such as Alphine have had issues nutting out the aircon control. let along nutting out every other integration and feature of the units (TPMS.. live gauges.. HUD..)

Iv been tinkering with the mylink units quite abit.. primarily on the recovery side as Iv now had a couple units from Holden/people where the unit failed mid update and has left it in an unusable state. Even going through the backdoor method is appearing to be an absolute pain in the arse.
Custom code needs to be run on the CPU to extract or change the current save information, although the MCU is either no longer manufactured (So I was told) or is exclusively sold to the producers of the unit. I suspect the later may be the real answer as I was never sent through a data sheet even after requesting about 1000 times.

I do have to say, Im extremely surprised that there was ZERO information about the various cpus found on the mylinks. There appears to be no public documentation or public attempts at hacking the mylinks on our QNX style units. Or, others that looked into it have come to the same issue as myself where lack of documents has halted further work!