Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Mine is similar in shape. But no perforations on it and the leather is not soft/ supple. Check out the photo I took today.

View attachment 209738
Yes, yours has all the CalaisV switch options across the centre of the wheel but the leather is not original CalaisV fit ...either the original got damaged and had to be replaced or after the car was traded someone saw their opportunity to swap and score a perforated leather??

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Yes, yours has all the CalaisV switch options across the centre of the wheel but the leather is not original CalaisV fit ...either the original got damaged and had to be replaced or after the car was traded someone saw their opportunity to swap and score a perforated leather??

Any guesses as to which version/ variant had this steering wheel? It doesn’t feel like a cheap knock-off. So it must have come from another Commodore/ Calais.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks for the feedback.
Out of interest, you say if you're going for a tune, don't bother with this. Any reason you've not gone for a tune on the Magnum instead of a throttle controller? Looking around seems to be $1400-1800 for OTR plus tune. So call it ~800 for the tune vs $175 for this. Purely a financial decision?
I'd like to keep the Magnum close to OEM. Most of my friends think I'm crazy for using it as a daily, it has 48.5k kms on it.
Really just wanted to see what all the hype was about with throttle controllers, they really do work!
Still not like the Maloo, with intake/exhaust/tune, it makes the Magnum feel soft and doughy even with the controller...
The E3 euro 4 headers, cats and 2.5" mid section is just taking up space in my garage atm, so when I get a chance I'll refit them to the Magnum.
If that mod brings on a CEL, I'll look for an intake, then get it tuned. Don't want to turn it into another Maloo, but would love the Magnum to get similar fuel economy.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Had the Mace controller on the Magnum for nearly a week...
I will admit that its capable of making the ute feel like its been tuned, and I haven't tried it beyond level 6 yet!:cool:
If you're considering a proper tune, don't waste your money, if not, its a great little add on. The iDrive unit does look better, but if you mount it down low and don't actually look at it, save $50 and buy the Mace unit. I found the instructions were a bit generic, but it gets you through mounting and calibration easy enough. I had read the hardest part of installation was disconnecting the factory plug on top of the pedal, used my thumbnail to unlock the orange lock bar and the plug just fell off.
I am impressed with the unit, and the highest praise I can give it, is just to state I have ordered another one for the VE Redline.
Have you given setting #9 a crack yet? I'm interested to know your thoughts on that and whether the stock auto tune changes from the increased throttle response as much as my tuned auto did.
BTW both my cars are tuned and the throttle controller still made a big difference in throttle response.

Thanks for the feedback.
Out of interest, you say if you're going for a tune, don't bother with this. Any reason you've not gone for a tune on the Magnum instead of a throttle controller? Looking around seems to be $1400-1800 for OTR plus tune. So call it ~800 for the tune vs $175 for this. Purely a financial decision?
Imoengnr's reasons aside, obviously the OTR & tune gives you more power and torque. The throttle controller doesn't. It just removes the built in lag. But it certainly feels like it has more torque.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Any guesses as to which version/ variant had this steering wheel? It doesn’t feel like a cheap knock-off. So it must have come from another Commodore/ Calais.
I reckon it's been recovered.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
How bad are they actually for your cars? Having all that torque moved down the lower rpm range? Would it even change the 0-100kmph time?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Have you given setting #9 a crack yet? I'm interested to know your thoughts on that and whether the stock auto tune changes from the increased throttle response as much as my tuned auto did.
BTW both my cars are tuned and the throttle controller still made a big difference in throttle response.
Imoengnr's reasons aside, obviously the the OTR & tune gives you more power and torque. The throttle controller doesn't. It just removes the built in lag. But it certainly feels like it has more torque.

Spot on. The throttle controller will make the car feels more snapier/ready to go as it's opening the throttle blade earlier and also opening it to 100%. In auto's, correct me if I'm wrong, but the auto adapts to your driving, I.e throttle inputs, hence why your auto is staying in sports mode as such.

At the end of the day, you have felt something and that's all that matters. I'm going to try one on my manual as I'm not a fan of the doughy throttle pedal feeling, plus i forgot to ask my tuner to spice up my throttle when i got it tuned a few years back.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine is similar in shape. But no perforations on it and the leather is not soft/ supple. Check out the photo I took today.

View attachment 209738
I’m not sure Holden offered a flat bottom wheel in that leather?..doesn’t mean it’s a cheapie tho.
Here is the Holden one with paddles that they offered and I had optioned on our wagon and ute. It too has some perforations but is supple and a bit firmer than the Calais (has more of a sports feel while the Calais feels more luxury as you would expect) and it’s a bit darker in colour than the Calais...both feel chunky and really comfortable.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
...now for the pic :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 30BACF23-5F09-4F2F-97F9-46C555E5EDC9.jpeg
    30BACF23-5F09-4F2F-97F9-46C555E5EDC9.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 144

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
How bad are they actually for your cars? Having all that torque moved down the lower rpm range? Would it even change the 0-100kmph time?

The controller does not change any engine performance aspect. It only reduces the lag built into the throttle circuit. So unless you get super aggressive AFTER installing the throttle controller - there shouldn’t be any negative impact on the engine itself. I doubt if the throttle body health will remain the same though. May be the experts can correct me on this - but these devices increase the rate & speed of throttle body actuations. But hey I’ll take that as a compromise to get to that ‘holy mother of god’ feeling when I step on the pedal ;)