Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I'm somewhat of the opinion, having spent a lot of effort & time & money getting probably the best bloke in Sydney to do our SSVR, that for general road use & in terms of tyre-wear, the "local tyre place" will get the same outcome as that great bloke.

I used to take that approach. There is a Bridgestone Select store not so far from my place. But they are extremely busy these days. Looked around for another option and found a local shop. The 'expert' there, told me that he has worked on several Holdens and that my car required only a front wheel alignment. Hence the question here ;)

Strooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
The 'expert' there, told me that he has worked on several Holdens and that my car required only a front wheel alignment. Hence the question here ;)

For $66 at my local Tyrepower today, I would always get a 4 wheel alignment done.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Mobil1 back on the shelves at Supercheap after couple years of absence . I wonder why. At almost $100 for 5L i dont see it selling fast

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Mobil1 back on the shelves at Supercheap after couple years of absence . I wonder why. At almost $100 for 5L i dont see it selling fast
Interesting … must be some whacky marketing ploy … and also, they’ve got more than one variety of 5W-30 so they’re playing games with the product range.
Additionally, Castrol Edge used to be a better oil than Mobil 1, and it’s currently on special at about $37 for 5L, for 5W-30 …

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director

That’s okay, at least SCA is the more likely out of the 3 big retailers to whack a 35 to 40% off engine oil deal which will bring that pricing to something more palatable. :p

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
That’s okay, at least SCA is the more likely out of the 3 big retailers to whack a 35 to 40% off engine oil deal which will bring that pricing to something more palatable. :p

I get my Mobil1 EP online much cheaper than SCA. Usually $120 for 10L. GL lubricants import direct from US

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah ... you’d buy Castrol Edge for $37 over Mobil 1 for $99 or whatever it is.
Having said that, Nulon & Penrite are cheaper & better (they weren’t cheaper when I was using Mobil 1 in the mid 90’s, and Edge was at least 50% more than Mobil 1), so I’m sticking with them over Mobil 1 (even at whatever a normal Mobil 1 price is these days).

That SCA pricing on Mobil 1 is like they lost a bet, were forced to stock it, need to prove the reason they hadn’t previously stocked it was because it wouldn’t sell, so they’ve priced it high enough that it won’t sell. Which will backfire a bit if they sell even 10% as much as normal yet make 200% profit on each sale I guess. :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yeah ... you’d buy Castrol Edge for $37 over Mobil 1 for $99 or whatever it is.
Having said that, Nulon & Penrite are cheaper & better (they weren’t cheaper when I was using Mobil 1 in the mid 90’s, and Edge was at least 50% more than Mobil 1), so I’m sticking with them over Mobil 1 (even at whatever a normal Mobil 1 price is these days).

That SCA pricing on Mobil 1 is like they lost a bet, were forced to stock it, need to prove the reason they hadn’t previously stocked it was because it wouldn’t sell, so they’ve priced it high enough that it won’t sell. Which will backfire a bit if they sell even 10% as much as normal yet make 200% profit on each sale I guess. :)

Why are Nulon and Penrite 'better' ?
They are probably better value for money but in terms of quality there is probably crap all difference between these...
I note that many top end euro use Mobil1 as OEM fill...even Porsche. I know this could simple be money/marketing deal but that's still good enough for me :)

I have used penrite for many years and it was always well priced and caused no issues I could observe. Only recently i switched to Mobil1 because I was bored ;)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah, I know why Porsche uses Mobil 1 … it’s a global company, the deal was signed Not Here.
And if whatever the manufacturer recommends is available everywhere, the deal’s worth more to both the supplier and the manufacturer.

It’d be way more annoying if Porsche recommended something like, I dunno, Elf oil here. :)

My info on Nulon & Penrite comes from a pair of engine & head builder people who’ve got a solid reputation (from a performance POV - apparently a lot of racers use them but also for road cars), they recommended Penrite or Nulon to me, from a cost-is-irrelevant point of view. Their experience related to how much (and the type of) wear they were seeing on the stuff they worked with. They also couldn’t tell me one was any better than the other.
I used to Mobil 1, but partially because it was a very good full-synthetic without paying top dollar. It was like … I guess 70’s Sony or 80’s Toyota. :)
I didn’t stop using it because I didn’t think it was good or anything like that; it was purely due to no longer having a car where a good synthetic was worth using. The Volvo engines I had/have will happily go a million km’s if you change the olde-worlde dinosaur oil in them at 10k km or 18 months. And I think the first car I had again which warranted a really good full-synthetic was the SSVR, by which time I’d had all that work done on the archaically-engined project-car which is where the contact with engine- and head-building folk came from & hence all the Penrite & Nulon recommendation.

In the end, for my use & especially for a road car, I agree … I think oils of the quality we’re talking about are all good, and given the values of our cars, paying a tad extra to use the top-notch-quality oil which gives us the warm-and-fuzzies is worthwhile, you’re gonna burn that price difference in fuel over the next <100km … having said that, $37/5L of Castrol Edge looks like an extremely good deal at SCA, wonder if they’re trying to clear the shelves and the Mobil One is going to completely replace Edge at SCA?

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ah, I know why Porsche uses Mobil 1 … it’s a global company, the deal was signed Not Here.
And if whatever the manufacturer recommends is available everywhere, the deal’s worth more to both the supplier and the manufacturer.

It’d be way more annoying if Porsche recommended something like, I dunno, Elf oil here. :)

My info on Nulon & Penrite comes from a pair of engine & head builder people who’ve got a solid reputation (from a performance POV - apparently a lot of racers use them but also for road cars), they recommended Penrite or Nulon to me, from a cost-is-irrelevant point of view. Their experience related to how much (and the type of) wear they were seeing on the stuff they worked with. They also couldn’t tell me one was any better than the other.
I used to Mobil 1, but partially because it was a very good full-synthetic without paying top dollar. It was like … I guess 70’s Sony or 80’s Toyota. :)
I didn’t stop using it because I didn’t think it was good or anything like that; it was purely due to no longer having a car where a good synthetic was worth using. The Volvo engines I had/have will happily go a million km’s if you change the olde-worlde dinosaur oil in them at 10k km or 18 months. And I think the first car I had again which warranted a really good full-synthetic was the SSVR, by which time I’d had all that work done on the archaically-engined project-car which is where the contact with engine- and head-building folk came from & hence all the Penrite & Nulon recommendation.

In the end, for my use & especially for a road car, I agree … I think oils of the quality we’re talking about are all good, and given the values of our cars, paying a tad extra to use the top-notch-quality oil which gives us the warm-and-fuzzies is worthwhile, you’re gonna burn that price difference in fuel over the next <100km … having said that, $37/5L of Castrol Edge looks like an extremely good deal at SCA, wonder if they’re trying to clear the shelves and the Mobil One is going to completely replace Edge at SCA?

I use Castrol edge in our Mazda 3 and it has been half price very often over the last few yrs. I never paid more than half price :)

I find it interesting that Castrol edge A3/B4 is still only SL spec when most of direct competition is SN

I am amazed how cheap Mobil1 is the US though !

We are getting hammered here with it....even spares box and repco sell it for $85 per litre

I buy this from here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/173920109091?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited: