Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I've been running my L77 on E85 for about 80,000km. It's now done 110,000Km . It has been tuned with OTR and exhaust. It has a bit more power about 10Kw over 98 . It's 107 octane. Does use quite a bit more fuel though..
Maybe it's not such a big deal, but I feel better about it.
Made from renewable resources.
Made in Australia.
Less emissions.
And the engine and exhaust stay really clean.
But a question . . . .
Should I be using any additives, like injector cleaner or upper cylinder lubricant?
I don't know, but I'm hoping someone on the forum with the knowledge of - crap I forgot his name - from South Australia can advise me.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
This fuel talk is fascinating. I would never have known anything about the real benefits of different fuels in different engines. Mind you, I do struggle to retain this information in my not-very-tech-savvy mind:)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This fuel talk is fascinating. I would never have known anything about the real benefits of different fuels in different engines. Mind you, I do struggle to retain this information in my not-very-tech-savvy mind:)
Just don’t shove the Tesla charger-cable in your petrol-filler & expect to end-up with a full tank when you get back from shopping.
It doesn’t work, and all those queued-up Tesla drivers are just so grumpy. :(

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I've been running my L77 on E85 for about 80,000km. It's now done 110,000Km . It has been tuned with OTR and exhaust. It has a bit more power about 10Kw over 98 . It's 107 octane. Does use quite a bit more fuel though..
Maybe it's not such a big deal, but I feel better about it.
Made from renewable resources.
Made in Australia.
Less emissions.
And the engine and exhaust stay really clean.
But a question . . . .
Should I be using any additives, like injector cleaner or upper cylinder lubricant?
I don't know, but I'm hoping someone on the forum with the knowledge of - crap I forgot his name - from South Australia can advise me.
if u run ethanol all the time it is best to change your oil sooner as the ethanol does get into it on cold starts and will contaminate it quicker then petrol does for short trips especially but if u to long trips then most of it will evaporate out, injectors and such will stay clean and fine if its the flex engine which yours is, if its aftermarket and new injectors are used if they are not stainless internals the injectors can cease up if the engine sits for some time with ethanol in them

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Thanks for the info. I do 10,000Km oil changes and it always looks really clean. It does have a pretty easy life - generally.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
if u run ethanol all the time it is best to change your oil sooner as the ethanol does get into it on cold starts and will contaminate it quicker then petrol does for short trips especially but if u to long trips then most of it will evaporate out, injectors and such will stay clean and fine if its the flex engine which yours is, if its aftermarket and new injectors are used if they are not stainless internals the injectors can cease up if the engine sits for some time with ethanol in them
Not surprising since ethanol is used for cleaning surfaces. Not to mention the entrained water.
This is another reason I'm anti E10.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Not surprising since ethanol is used for cleaning surfaces. Not to mention the entrained water.
This is another reason I'm anti E10.
e10 is nothing wouldnt even worry bout the 10% even e85 is fine im still not sure what sort of water people think gets absorbed ? i hear about it on the utube but in using it myself and pretty much doing everything they say not to do i have no issues at all

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
if its aftermarket and new injectors are used if they are not stainless internals the injectors can cease up if the engine sits for some time with ethanol in them
Another thing we discovered with alcohol both E85 and methanol race engine that sit around a bit, is blocked filter baskets and the engine starts leaning out. We haven't run filter baskets in the injectors since 2008 and have never had injector issues with them removed.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Another thing we discovered with alcohol both E85 and methanol race engine that sit around a bit, is blocked filter baskets and the engine starts leaning out. We haven't run filter baskets in the injectors since 2008 and have never had injector issues with them removed.
yea i ran those filter baskets at the start also in the extensions and just seemed to be issues with them, soon as i switched over to ethanol safe injectors and no filters havnt had any issues since

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
yea i ran those filter baskets at the start also in the extensions and just seemed to be issues with them, soon as i switched over to ethanol safe injectors and no filters havnt had any issues since
In the early days of wingless sprint cars that run a VN V6 engine on methanol would get about 2 or 3 shows on new injectors before a lean out and burning holes in pistons. Methanol of course is vulnerable to pre-ignition when running lean despite it's great anti-detonation aspects and the injector filter baskets blocking was the cause of a multitude on engine failures. E85 wasn't as severe as methanol but still suffered lean out issues with blocked injector baskets in our circuit race engines over time.

A litre of 2 stroke castor/synthetic race oil in 200 litres of methanol or E85 we discovered not only smells awesome burned but eliminates corrosion in the fuel system when cars are sitting around for extended periods of time.