Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You may be correct with GMSV, but initially you mentioned GM announcing dropping HSV and I simply stated that GM has no stake in HSV. Premoso Group (Walkinshaw family) owns HSV.
Yeah, I was sloppy with my terminology where trading name = branding/trademark = business name by using it in some interchangeable way... wrong to do so I know...

Added to that, I also understand that Holden provided strong engineering and manufacturing support to HSV which make them much much more than some back yard effort. Very symbiotic regardless of ownership structures.

So to say it hopefully more accurately; if the manufacturer (GM) doesn’t support HSV or GMSV with the required engineering expertise and control to make quality RHC conversions and thus keep them honest, their products will slide into rubbish offerings with poor quality conversions and overpriced polarisers to provide the ownership magic. Such a dumping of corvette and HSV by GM would send a strong message that GM isn’t interested in supporting existing Holden customers...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought that was obvious? That's why they closed down Holden.
Ah, no it wasn’t so obvious at the beginning as GM said they’ll support customers for the next 10 years. The reality seems to be quickly developing in a very different way and will become crystal clear once GM deregisters Holden Australia Pty Ltd :oops:

We are on our own and will have to make contact with US businesses to get parts at reasonable price... Maps, well no more of those updates during service...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wonder if the C8 will ever be built in RHD?
They have built some. 2 RHD C8's are at Lang Lang pg.
2 test mules is hardly RHD production. If it was worth selling in RHD markets, GM would have been doing it all along... for lots of models... and given Holden free rein to do much more with its product...

But GM has been dumping markets left right and centre. If they are not careful, they may end up as a big fish is a small backwater pond... Sad, so sad...

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
2 test mules is hardly RHD production. If it was worth selling in RHD markets, GM would have been doing it all along... for lots of models... and given Holden free rein to do much more with its product...
But GM has been dumping markets left right and centre. If they are not careful, they may end up as a big fish is a small backwater pond... Sad, so sad...

I hear you pal, I worked 10yrs GMH Engineering and GM USA didnt give a rats about us and or the other RHD markets.
Anyway, the RHD C8s at Lang Lang are not test mules by the way ;).

I'm out, enjoy your night.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think you mean “if GM thought it was worth selling in RHD markets” rather than “if it was worth selling in RHD markets”.
GM doesn’t understand any market outside of the US; in fact you might argue it doesn’t understand any market apart from Rural US, given it’s focus on gerlytrux. And it wasn’t willing to let a foreign subsidiary do anything HQ didn’t understand ...

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Go direct to Holden in future.

LOL, what "future" would that be?

In any event, my prev map update experience was enough to demonstrate to me that GMH (at least their online chat) and the two dealers closest to me were/are clueless.

Holden?

No thanks...

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Yeah, I was sloppy with my terminology where trading name = branding/trademark = business name by using it in some interchangeable way... wrong to do so I know...

Added to that, I also understand that Holden provided strong engineering and manufacturing support to HSV which make them much much more than some back yard effort. Very symbiotic regardless of ownership structures.

So to say it hopefully more accurately; if the manufacturer (GM) doesn’t support HSV or GMSV with the required engineering expertise and control to make quality RHC conversions and thus keep them honest, their products will slide into rubbish offerings with poor quality conversions and overpriced polarisers to provide the ownership magic. Such a dumping of corvette and HSV by GM would send a strong message that GM isn’t interested in supporting existing Holden customers...
I'm with you on this.
There can't be much money in Colorado's with bigger wheels at a ridiculous mark up.
I doubt there will be much market for the Silverados either.
As much as I'd love to have the option to get my hands on a corvette, I doubt they will make it here.
If they do, they will be factory RHD sold by what ever is left of HSV.
But HSV will price themselves out if the market like they did with the Camaro. Now they are having run out sales.
I don't think HSV will bring them in and won't be doing conversion again due to probably poor sales of the Camaro and I doubt GM will be giving them mates rates for the stock.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There can't be much money in Colorado's with bigger wheels at a ridiculous mark up.
I doubt there will be much market for the Silverados either.
Actually, I think the profit on these bully-vehicles is quite a rich seam to mine. The volumes may not be high enough for a ‘proper’ manufacturer, but in small numbers I reckon they can waaay overcharge & get away with it. Lookit how many top-of-the-range Hiluxes and Rangers you see on the roads; they’re $25k vehicles made of 30yo technology being sold for $70k.
They have to find the right balance with marketing ... something Benz seem to have failed to do. So I guess it’s certainly not a given.

As much as I'd love to have the option to get my hands on a corvette, I doubt they will make it here.
If they do, they will be factory RHD sold by what ever is left of HSV.
But HSV will price themselves out if the market like they did with the Camaro. Now they are having run out sales.
I don't think HSV will bring them in and won't be doing conversion again due to probably poor sales of the Camaro and I doubt GM will be giving them mates rates for the stock.
Well the other way to look at it ... the $20k conversion cost on top of a $60k car is a much bigger percentage increase than the $20k conversion cost on top of a $150k car.
But I also think it’s going to be a big ask to get people to pay that much in the first place. The style of car is different, yes, but people will be at least comparing to things like M4’s and Caymans (Caypeople?), which if nothing else brings the Impression of quality into the equation. Who knows, maybe this time they’ve upped the ante on that stuff; but given they never seemed to need to in order to sell in their main market I don’t know why they would’ve this time around.
I reckon it’d be a big gamble for a relatively small company like GMSV to put conversion R&D money into it, given the small numbers.
So yeah, unless GM HQ decides to build them RHD (after claiming to the world that they’ve given-up on RHD markets), I doubt we’ll see them. Not that I’d be buying one, if they did lob here.