Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt SS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline My17
I've got a MY17 SS-V Redline and am pretty disappointed with Mylink in regards to lack of features and issues with blutooth streaming.

In short, I want to either augment the infotainment system with something or in the worst case replace it entirely. My preference is definitely to add something in and keep the OEM system. That way i have no issue with Holden service and compatibility with the car systems.

Must haves

• Want to eliminate blutooth stuttering when streaming music from some Android phones (nexus 6p, google pixel)
  • Need to retain control over cabin controls
  • Steering wheel audio integration
  • HUD integration (at least with the same OEM functionality)
  • Continue to control bi-modal exhaust from system
  • Must be easy to use (Wife Approval Factor)
  • Must retain use of reverse camera and guidance lines
  • Must continue to function with auto park features (not that i use them ;)
  • Continue to have touchscreen integration (for at least cabin and car controls)
  • I don't want to cut up or modify the dash. A new fascia is fine, but i want to keep the option to return to full OEM.
Nice to haves
  • I want to keep the car looking as OEM as possible
  • Android auto and apple car play
  • Play videos
  • Vehicle in motion mod
  • Mirrorlink
  • Something running android, windows or linux that i can write my own apps for

What I have considered
  • Advanced ice system (just been told yesterday that they are still in development for a unit compatible with the VF series 2. So no go for that one yet)
  • Connecting my own control unit of some sort (raspberry pi3) to do stuff (anyone say arcade games in the car? :) - The trouble here is that i don't know if the mylink system has the required (and free) av inputs
  • Looked a little at alpine and pioneer units, however it looks like these units lose some functionality, be it HUD, bi-modal control, etc.
  • Writing an app for mylink to provide some addition features - Whilst this is likely limited more by hardware constraints in the existing Mylink system, it also looks like there isn't a simple way to deploy apps to Mylink with GM's blessing. It looks like GM have an app development SDK, however approvals look stringent and the chances of seeing this app distributed would be slight.
Further Considerations
  • Does anyone have a input/output diagram for the Mylink system in a My17 SS-V?
  • Can anyone confirm if there are any inputs on the MyLink that could be used to plug another device into? Even if this is just Video with no touch and no audio.
  • Im a software developer and also dabble with raspberry Pi's, so give me an input into mylink and i can probably work with that for a custom device/software solution.
  • Is there just some kind of MirrorLink or casting dongle that could be used? Whilst this would have to be controlled from a phone, at least least it opens up the possibilities.
  • Is there a 'development mode' for Mylink that would allow side-loading of apps without these apps being approved (and 'digitally signed') by GM?
Love to hear your thoughts, gripes about the current Mylink and suggestions.

thanks!!

Matt

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Quite the post!

First off.. there is nothing that has absolutely everything you want.

The Advanced ICE kits were stopped (From what Iv seen on their site and customer reviews) due to the fact it was buggy, crashes randomly and can be a bit of a pain in the ass in general.
That mob didn't actually make/development the kit.. they are simply putting two existing products together and slapping it into the VF, hence why they have no control over making patches and updates to it.

Next.. making a custom unit that still retains the touchscreen, this is the best but most complex option. Need to design custom board to intercept the video/audio line. The video processing used is called LVDS (I think? Complete mind blank..), so would need to be able to decode/encode that first.

The older mylinks (And some of the new) have the Rear aux options available which accept a standard composite video input using RCA jacks when a suitable patch loom is supplied and plugged into the back. But.. this becomes pointless once vehicle is put into drive and screen locks out.

So far theres no dev mode found, or any backway to add an unsigned app. Even so, would need the SDK in the first place to even contemplate making an app. So.. cant do anything without either option above!!

Matt SS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline My17
Hey Tazzi, thanks for the reply. Sorry for the long winded post in the first place, however i believe its better to be concise. :) I've been doing a fair bit of research on this problem now and still no real light at the end of tunnel. One possible lead is the use of a IU10S device. https://www.networkwws.com/iu10s-plus This is the same device used for VF's by NAVIPLUS and possibly also AdvancedIce. My understanding of this is pretty limited, however I believe it allows an external video/audio/touch input to be wired into the existing head unit and activated with some kind of specific button presses on the steering wheel or mylink system. Naviplus have a solution (VF s2 compatible) that uses the IU10S along with some kind of android box to provide similar functionality to Advanced Ice. http://www.naviplus.com.au/pfandyholdenmylinkandroid
Ive got the installation doco for this, which documents how to wire this up to the VF S2 head unit and set dip switches, etc.

That all said, I don't know exactly how the IU10S works or how much it costs. I'm pretty naive when it comes to 'car' electronics and wiring and don't want to screw things up. Finally, the head unit in the vf is not exactly accessible to just try something out.

"Possibly", this could be an option to wire in aux a/v/touch from a device? but i have to defer to people with a better understanding of all this.

Last week, at my first inspection service at holden, i raised the issue of mylink bluetooth stuttering and the service guy told me that holden say this is due to an incompatibility issue with the latest version of android and that holden is working on this. This didnt sound right to me, as some android phones running the latest android builds, do work fine. Anyhow, i will watch this space and advise.

Matt

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Theres a few different 'interface' boxes made by various manufacturers which take control of the factory visuals/audio. Your correct in the assumption that they are basic and do not have any media playing options, they are simply there as the middle man to interpret between a mylink and some sort of media box.

The naviplus you linked to, is the same android box that Advanced ICE was using. Its called 'ANDY'.
I looked into it a while ago, but after hear about the various bugs, crashes and issue peope were having.. I didnt proceed. Again.. there is a reason why Advanced ICE have it labelled as 'discontinued' yet it can be purchased directly from the manufactures.

A much as an android system sounds good, its main flaw is it doesn't get updates like a smartphone. Usually the android boxes are set to a specific version and will not update, meaning apps begin to not be supported or cannot be updated.

The interface boxes are not flawless which I think contributes to part of the issues people have been having as well.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Here's another option, for mirroring and various inputs, that looks *easy to wire in. (*easy for someone that knows their way around auto electronics that is)

Hmm... theres been a bit of an uproar about that manufacture. If you look up the company, they failed to actually provide a product to alot of forums. Theres alot of people pissed off with them.

Matt SS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline My17
this link doesnt work, what was it mate?
Hey mate. I don't recall off hand. I'm still looking for a decent solution for all this. If I find something I'll post it here.