Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sleeper

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
I hope thier customer service has improved over the last few years.

It took nearly a year to see the ~4k in parts I bought from them. Took the money and then didn't want to know me.

Back on topic, sorry to hear about the engine damage but I guess it's a possibility when modding cars. I pretty much read this thread start to finish, enjoying reading about your journey with the car and looking forward to seeing where you go from here. Cheers.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I've spent a bit of time researching.

Pistons. At this stage, I'm favouring something similar to this. https://www.jepistons.com/product/s...iv-piston-4-010-in-bore-1-300-in-ch-14-40-cc/ I'm hoping this 4032 alloy has less cold start slap and less start-up noise. Good dish to reduce compression. This gives a comp ratio of about 9.5.

Stroke and cam. I'm still in two minds stroking it. Been thinking if my current cam is big enough for a 6.6L. It's a baby cam. 218/218. Lift .604/,604 LSA 113. Overlap -10. I do like it cause it's stealthy with great street manners/driveability. I'm hoping I can keep it to reduce costs. If not, I probably won't do it. Replacing the cam will mean extra expense. Plus maybe lifters and pushrods. Current cam, lifters and pushrods have only 16,000ks on them so in good order.

Boost: I'm currently running a 75mm pulley. The smallest Harrop pulley is 65mm so that should give a good bump.

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the 4032 will be fine, also a well designed piston will be better anyway as i have the JE 2618 alloy with larger clearance and even starting up in 10c i am still yet to hear any slap, dont go too low in comp so u keep efficiency/burn and off boost torque, camshafts also lower dynamic comp so best to set them up to work together, u will loose a bit of stealth but u really need more exhaust duration when boosted to get it all out, even LS9 cam is stock but suits what u want to do

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
even starting up in 10c i am still yet to hear any slap
Nice pistons you have. Do you think your iron block masks the sound if any?

What's a good target compression? The piston above gives around 9.5

As a daily street car, my main goal is smooth, quiet and driveable on the street off idle to 4000rpm.

I hear what you are saying on the camshaft.

The LS9 might be better for me. 211 / 230 Intake: .562 / Exhaust: .562 122.5 LSA

Other similar mildish options from Brian Tooley in the boosted category.

1. BTR PDS STAGE 1 TORQUE CAMSHAFT - 217/23X, .619/.607, 114 LSA

2. BTR CAMSHAFT - LSA/LS9 - PDS STAGE 1 - CAM MOTION CORE - Specs: 223/238 .610"/.585" 120+6

Lots to think about.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I don’t think there is a better time to add some cubage.
I’m not paying though so there is that to consider I guess.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the iron block is strange as once im above about 3000rpm under good throttle i can hear engine noise more then exhaust which i didnt hear with the alloy block, the LS9 makes about 680 hp ? i think on 12psi boost yet drives like stock and will pass all roadworthy tests,

or IMO the BTR PDS 1 would be good the 223 intake is perfect for the LS and the 238 gets it out should be good to 6500 maby more should still drive well but prob wont be quiet and stealthy,

the BTR torque cam has more overlap which puts torque lower will have more low to mid and prob drop off a little earlier up top,

the 9.5 comp is ok but then coupled with a camshaft will lower so getting it to at least 10 will then make it better once cammed,

ur crank should be fine so just rods and pistons ? or are u doing crank also for some cubes ? if cubes then camshaft changes again to suit or a bigger one like the BTR PDS1 will be be easier to drive but still not stealthy,

cheapest bank for buck will be the LS9 cam and supporting mods with stock stroke and with 10.1 comp will be quite good, if ur using ethanol then early 10's comp or if u want to be super safe on petrol the 9.5 is ok, but the 9.5 will make cruise economy smidge worse as its less efficient

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
According to my research over the last few days. Cam overlap is a major factor in idle quality. More overlap, more chop, hunt, more noticeable. Less overlap, better/smoother idle quality, more stealthy. Negative better.

Using this overlap calculator https://www.texas-speed.com/t-calc-overlap.aspx

My current 218/218 - 113 has an overlap of minus 10 degrees

The LS9 211/230 - 122.5 has an overlap of minus 24.5

BTR PDS STAGE 1 TORQUE - 217/23X , 114 LSA - minus 2 ( assuming 235)

BTR CAMSHAFT - LSA/LS9 - PDS STAGE 1 - Specs: 223/238 120+6 - minus 15.5

It's interesting to compare. The LS9 stands out from this perspective.

This is an interesting test on the Ls9 and comments re less power down low and good up high.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
According to my research over the last few days. Cam overlap is a major factor in idle quality. More overlap, more chop, hunt, more noticeable. Less overlap, better/smoother idle quality, more stealthy. Negative better.

Using this overlap calculator https://www.texas-speed.com/t-calc-overlap.aspx

My current 218/218 - 113 has an overlap of minus 10 degrees

The LS9 211/230 - 122.5 has an overlap of minus 24.5

BTR PDS STAGE 1 TORQUE - 217/23X , 114 LSA - minus 2 ( assuming 235)

BTR CAMSHAFT - LSA/LS9 - PDS STAGE 1 - Specs: 223/238 120+6 - minus 15.5

It's interesting to compare. The LS9 stands out from this perspective.

This is an interesting test on the Ls9 and comments re less power down low and good up high.
One thing that is also a big factor in idle quality is the tuner.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
less overlap also broadens the torque range so little less down low so little more to top, this is where u can use the overlap to target a torque peak when boosted, the LS9 does good boosted but has nothing below 4k when n/a which shows how they use the events to suit the pd boost

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Workmate's 7ltr harrop vf clubbie daily driver has very mild cam...still sounds angry.All the Sams Performance cars do.

Funny thing was even with cam still needed bigger stally as it was pushing on the brakes when idling in gear.

Ive only driven after Craigs put 3k stally in still has heaps of torque just off idle & tyres let go as soon as stally flashes so you just end up driving it with very little throttle if you want it to act like a normal car.