Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Brembo brake upgrade Vol. 2

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
So let’s see what happens when/if people start to complain to these previously captured regulators that their vehicles are no longer compliant due to no spare parts.

When the industry no longer exists and regulator are pressured to act on the what’s left of the Pty Ltd, something’s gotta give ;) hopefully it will be gm :rolleyes:

And how many of these complaints will surface.... 1? 2? 5? None?

My guess is,.. not enough for anyone to even think twice about it...

Even if it did come up I am certain GM would get some engineer to say 25mm bmc is good enough :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
.. Even if it did come up I am certain GM would get some engineer to say 25mm bmc is good enough :)
Compliancing doesn’t work that way... an engineer can’t just say something convenient, they need data to show it’s ok.

From what I was told by Holden, ABS/EBD/ESC testing and brake testing in general is outsourced to Bosch and they test specific setups. If they haven’t tested 25mm BMC with Brembos and staggered wheels, a Holden engineer can’t say it’s now ok with 25mm BMC. It would need to go back and be certified which is very expensive. I’d think a big production run of 26mm BMC’s would be much cheaper alternative ;)

But will anyone complain, probably not as BMC wont start to fail for a while yet. Even then, many may simply not know or care of the diminished performance or compliance issues :(

Last edited:

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
What I find interesting in this whole thing is, the engineer both Ron and myself used for compliance was adamant that a 27mm BMC be installed. He photographed mine on the car, and also insisted on eye balling the old one that came off the car. This all formed part of the paperwork he lodges with the RMS to go on the vehicle rego papers and file. I will shoot him an email if I get a chance today and see what his take on this circus is for future reference of anyone wanting to do this. Now explains why I could not get a new one from GMH parts when I first started doing mine.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
What I find interesting in this whole thing is, the engineer both Ron and myself used for compliance was adamant that a 27mm BMC be installed. He photographed mine on the car, and also insisted on eye balling the old one that came off the car. This all formed part of the paperwork he lodges with the RMS to go on the vehicle rego papers and file. I will shoot him an email if I get a chance today and see what his take on this circus is for future reference of anyone wanting to do this. Now explains why I could not get a new one from GMH parts when I first started doing mine.

I suspect if Holden tells you in writing 25mm BMC is suitable for your car with Brembo brakes, the engineer would happily certify this...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I suspect if Holden tells you in writing 25mm BMC is suitable for your car with Brembo brakes, the engineer would happily certify this...

That would be the engineers 'arse covering device'...

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don’t think that there will be any issue with the ABS/ESC with the smaller master cylinder.

The 25mm master cylinder will result in ~17% more brake pedal travel to move the same volume of brake fluid as the 27 mm master cylinder.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
No doubt if Holden produced such a doc, they’d get some young out of uni engineer to write it without the cost of recertification tests. It’d be much like how GM got a young engineer to redesign the ignition key barrel using the same part number.

In such cases, the mods certifying engineer‘s arse is covered cause he has a piece of paper to wipe with... But the young Holden engineer would be the sacrificial lamb when/if the regulators look into this as managements would have plausible deniability this “rogue engineer” did the wrong thing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don’t think that there will be any issue with the ABS/ESC with the smaller master cylinder.

The 25mm master cylinder will result in ~17% more brake peddle travel to move the same volume of brake fluid as the 27 mm master cylinder.
17% more travel may be an issue if pedal stroke becomes insufficient if brembos have a greater calliper volume. But I haven’t compared calliper volume between brembos and standard brakes to know what the difference is.

As for ABS/ESC,I’ve no idea what is involved in certification but pedal movement during ABS application may be a parameter measured as part of the certification process. If there is now 17% more movement, it may fail some part of the test.

All I’m saying is vehicle certification is heavily regulated with lots of data supplied to DOTARS as part of the certification process. I just can’t see how a spare part can be superseded by something less that hasn’t been certified via a testing process. It just doesn’t seem correct.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
would it not be easier to take a 25mm master cylinder to a old school brake joint and have them bore it to 27mm and rebuild it , fitting new piston seals ect ,