Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Brembo brake upgrade Vol. 2

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I wonder if RMS interprets 'model' as 'variant' and why they would do that ?

I guess only RMS could answer some of these questions. I.e. on what basis they use RVDS to determine if components were optional. Where does that come from. They might have a good answer for that...I don't

In the example not requiring certification: • Replacement of front-wheel drum brakes with disc brakes on a vehicle available from the manufacturer with front disc brakes as an option where all the parts from that option are fitted eg fitting a base model LC Torana which has drum front brakes with the disc front brakes originally supplied to the GTR model LC Torana.

Their view is that unless the braking system is listed on RVDS as an option for that car it needs cerification.

I could never tick a box when I bought my car to have brembo brakes installed. They were not optional on my car.

Optional brakes for my car were police spec brakes; not brembo.

I think that's the source of confusion....

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Their view is that unless the braking system is listed on RVDS as an option for that car it needs cerification.

I could never tick a box when I bought my car to have brembo brakes installed. They were not optional on my car.

Optional brakes for my car were police spec brakes; not brembo.

I think that's the source of confusion....

Yes, that's their likely interpretation but they haven't taken into account that GTR brakes were also not on the option list for a base model (4 cylinder) Torana. It's also a more significant change from drum brakes to disc on the Torana than a larger rotor and caliper swap on the Commodore. Despite it's age, an LC Torana remains an eligible vehicle to be driven on the road with equal potential to cause an accident and result in injury or death from a brake failure as VF Commodore but remarkably, the brakes can be upgraded on the Torana without certification.

If the RMS is correct in their interpretation, non-disclosure is then the issue for the state government if someone retrofits Redline Brembo's to an SS in accordance with the document without certification. That is although it's permitted on vehicles manufactured prior to the RVDS, the document fails to disclose that later model vehicles subject to the RVDS must be certified.

To date, we've established that no documentation exists enforcing certification for vehicles subject to the RVDS and the Torana example document released in 2006 remains the latest brake upgrade/modification requirement. It seems awfully strange that no state has published a document with revised criteria that applies to later model vehicles when it's federally governed by the VSS. Did the VSS only post the revision to NSW and they've forgotten to publish it, or haven't the VSS posted any revisions to any states at all and the RMS have taken it upon themselves to revise the criteria they're in fact not empowered to revise.

The RMS ideology isn't necessarily bad, but they're not entitled to change a criteria. They can only apply a criteria in accordance with VSS federal requirements in relation to brake upgrade/modifications.

From a quick look at the RVD's, it seems to list rotor diameter and thickness but I couldn't see anything related to caliper specifications, brand, number of pistons and their piston diameters unless I've missed that bit?

Last edited:

texicat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 1 SSV
PS. This upgrade probably would not happen if it was not for @3rspecB

He put me in contact with right people, dag out part numbers and provided advice and information when I hit the wall.

So MASSIVE thanks to @3rspecB

I owe you one!

The engineer I dealt with was also brilliant. Knowledgable, honest and reliable.
Hit him up if you need stuff engineered in NSW - www.cmvc.com.au

Hi Ron

With regards to getting the brake upgrade certified ,could you give me an idea of how much CMVC charged for the certification and did they have to actually inspect the vehicle?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi Ron

With regards to getting the brake upgrade certified ,could you give me an idea of how much CMVC charged for the certification and did they have to actually inspect the vehicle?

$600 from memory. He inspected everything in person

Last edited:

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
And it's goooone

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
This says it fits 2016-17 redline and LSA and I assume is 27mm. Any reason why it wouldn't fit all variants from 2013?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211118-201500_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-201500_Edge.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 79

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars