Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE / VF cabin air filter (a must do)

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Decided to do the oil changes on VE and VF commodore, along with trans filter and oil changes
Both cars reasonable low milage
VE 2009 SV6: 52K
VF 2015 S/S Storm: 152K
As I was giving the girls a little spring clean decided at same time to change the cabin air filters, although I have never ever changed the cabin filter in any car I have owned.
VE and VF same filter used, Ryco RCA162M, and in same location
However what really suprised me is how much debrae was built up in front of the GMH open gauze filter
So thought I'd post a few pics to demonstrate these filters do need to be changed
Used a small brush to clean out the loose parts and then vacuum cleaner

Pic #1: showing differences in GMH and Ryco filters
Pic 2: the build of crap

Attachments

• cabin filter change 30112023 #1.jpg
    cabin filter change 30112023 #1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 197
  • cabin filter change 30112023 #2.jpg
    cabin filter change 30112023 #2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 217

SV607

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 & Holden EH Premier
good u changed it.. i use the micro bacteria filter from Ryco... . also watch those holes don't get blocked.. what happens is it fills up with water down there and over flows past the fan and into the front passenger floor.. soaking the carpet.. i ended up drilling three 1" holes.. giving it plenty of drainage.. it just drains to the ground.. i have had a heap of members in my club who have had wet carpet and wondering why.. so just watch those holes or make them bigger.. if for example.. you use a big 1" hose over ur windscreen.. that amount of water could easily fill that area and overflow. also watch the drain slits on your doors are clear.. if i remember... front door has 3 u might have to pull the rubber back a little to get to it.. and the rear has 2.. just use a zip tie and clear it..

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
I noticed that there was a large hole, rubber grommit in front of the fliter going down into firewall so assume this is the drain hole
No water in mine
However will keep an eye on it
its interesting that both VE and VF had similar build up of crap
cheers

SV607

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 & Holden EH Premier
I noticed that there was a large hole, rubber grommet in front of the fliter going down into firewall so assume this is the drain hole
No water in mine
However will keep an eye on it
its interesting that both VE and VF had similar build up of crap
cheers
very common on the VE & VF to have the same leak on front passenger carpet.. but making the drainage better improves it heaps.. its stupid design.. tiny drain holes.. u park under trees and ur asking for trouble.. i removed my grommet and just left it open.. its not going to hurt it.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Read your post and ordered a Ryco RCA162M, $61 shipped from Aus. Could have had the AC filter from the US for $64, but the Ryco looks like it might be an improvement? Will give it a try, anyway.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
I got mine at supercheap black friday special $39 for the N99 normal price approx. $45

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Supercheap over here doesn't even show it in the search results, and repco has it for $103. Welcome to NZ...

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I like it myself, keeps the interior of the car from getting filthy. I'd trade away power seats and windows and locks and all that before I gave back the cabin filter...

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero

mstrjon32,​

ah mate I hear you and remember the days when I lived in Mangere Bridge purchasing Big Block Chev parts was equally an issue​