Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE / VF cabin air filter (a must do)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
God only knows how we survived driving cars without cabin filters.
Gees the old VZ don't have one either
:rolleyes:
But there is one available,
But you have to remove the wiper arms,
Remove the skivits,
Then the lower windscreen cover,
(Plenum cover)
And you will get a surprise what you see hidden in there !
I filled 1/2 buck of leaves (squash down) as they were soggy, and got the stagnant water smell, hence why I tackled that project,
Washed it all down with Karcher, (not near the air intake) and hand cleaned the rest,
Fixed the soggy leaf smells.

Side note: The cabin filter for the VY and VZ is a Volvo part I think, and fits perfectly.
I read on JC’s a member had installed one.

Update: It appears to be a Citroen Part.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
But there is one available,
But you have to remove the wiper arms,
Remove the skivits,
Then the lower windscreen cover,
(Plenum cover)
And you will get a surprise what you see hidden in there !
I filled 1/2 buck of leaves (squash down) as they were soggy, and got the stagnant water smell, hence why I tackled that project,
Washed it all down with Karcher, (not near the air intake) and hand cleaned the rest,
Fixed the soggy leaf smells.

Side note: The cabin filter for the VY and VZ is a Volvo part, and fits perfectly.
I read on JC’s a member had installed one.
Yep been there done that, only problem was I was not keen on fitting a filter in there to catch and hold the amount of moisture that gets in there, in turn sucking moist air into my already screwed lungs so opted to go without a filter.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Ryco filter finally arrived from Sparesbox today. Had a manufacture date of 26/7/23 stamped on it.

You wrote it in your first post but I guess I didn't read it carefully and didn't realise that the stock 'filter' is just a cheap screen. Glad I fit this one. Good tip is not to push the filter too far in or it will start to crush, it needs to sit a bit away from the blower for a snug fit. Not massively impressed with the foam material as far as sealing it to the air box, but I guess it works well enough.

Took a little extra time and cleaned up the drains, and surrounding trim bits, then took a lot of extra time to crawl under the car and recover the clip I dropped when taking the plastic cover off...

PXL_20231218_070430299~2.jpg

PXL_20231218_071402525~2.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I bought the same one I think, several months ago. Haven't found the enthusiasm to fit it yet. I'd rather just pay to have it done but money is a bit tight and I just need to make time and get it done. Because it seems fine it hasn't hit the priority list yet.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
You could fit it in about 5 minutes if you just do a quick wipe down of the housing. I probably spent an hour on this and 40 minutes of that was recovering the little bastard clip I dropped. You just need a flat head screwdriver and a 10mm if you want to make a bit more room for yourself by loosening the upper panel.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I bought the same one I think, several months ago. Haven't found the enthusiasm to fit it yet. I'd rather just pay to have it done but money is a bit tight and I just need to make time and get it done. Because it seems fine it hasn't hit the priority list yet.

VE is really easy as there is a purpose designed access flap. Vf isn’t so easy as Holden removed that access flap for no good reason that I can understand.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You could fit it in about 5 minutes if you just do a quick wipe down of the housing. I probably spent an hour on this and 40 minutes of that was recovering the little bastard clip I dropped. You just need a flat head screwdriver and a 10mm if you want to make a bit more room for yourself by loosening the upper panel.
I really wanted to fit a new heat shield while I was at it but I think that's quite a complicated job. So the easier cabin filter job has not been done either. I have two brand new heat shields which are now obsolete.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
VE is really easy as there is a purpose designed access flap. Vf isn’t so easy as Holden removed that access flap for no good reason that I can understand.

I now realise this post is in the VE forum. But yes, even on the VF it was quite easy to change. I'm sure the access flap was removed to save a tiny bit of money. Probably the same reason that it has that cheap screen instead of an actual filter.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It takes about 10min max to replace it,
I thought the same, [when I went to replace the first one],
that's where the skivet tool comes in handy ;)

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I have the gear to do it. Hopefully over the 10 day break I'll get it done.