Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS-V S1 Super stock cam from Gm motorsports

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yep. Sounds good.
Vid reminds me how much I love my auto wipers though

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Hey chaps.
Just got mine back from GM Motorsport with super stock cam.
Made more power than i expected as I have vcm OTR intake and HSV headers/walkinshaw exhaust.

Made 305rwkw @6700. Most of the gain is at 4000 onwards compared to pre cam. Peak power before was 243rwkw @5600.

I have a new clutch so I have to go easy but 2nd gear is very strong to about 6800or so.

A little hunting at idle. I’ll take it back Saturday and perhaps replace the throttle body as I had a little hunting before the upgrades. Could also be a programming glitch or vaccum leak. Idles smooth once it settles. Once I get the idle settled it will be great. Exactly what I wanted. May need to again investigate some shorter diff gears as the 3.45 ratio sees well over 120kmh.

executer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V 2015
Hey chaps.
Just got mine back from GM Motorsport with super stock cam.
Made more power than i expected as I have vcm OTR intake and HSV headers/walkinshaw exhaust.

Made 305rwkw @6700. Most of the gain is at 4000 onwards compared to pre cam. Peak power before was 243rwkw @5600.

I have a new clutch so I have to go easy but 2nd gear is very strong to about 6800or so.

A little hunting at idle. I’ll take it back Saturday and perhaps replace the throttle body as I had a little hunting before the upgrades. Could also be a programming glitch or vaccum leak. Idles smooth once it settles. Once I get the idle settled it will be great. Exactly what I wanted. May need to again investigate some shorter diff gears as the 3.45 ratio sees well over 120kmh.

Awesome mate. What exactly do you mean by hunting? It is a great little cam though that's for sure.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
It’s like surging to 1500 then bouncing back a few times to it settles. When I’ve got it in neutral and coast gently down a hill (forwards or backwards) it also gives a surge. A few times.

Could either be one of 3 things.
1/ a glitch in the programming
2/ a hardware issue with the throttle body or iac valve.
3/ possible vaccum leak somewhere.

I’m sure GM Motorsport will sort it.

It’s a very exciting car to drive now over 4000rpm where as before it was very dull in comparison.

It’s an exciting time at the moment. Just finally after a 2yr sturffing around period getting lots of mechanical things fixed in my manual bmw 540i with a vortech strapped to the side of it. Now i have 2x 300+ rwkw cars to drive. 1 for work the other for play. The bmw is more maniac as it is around 400kg lighter and shorter geared.

Makes me want some shorter gears in the VE Ute. I’ve tried 4.11 gears before and liked them but I went through 2 gear sets so I just gave up and put the 3.46 back in. I’ll leave them for now concentrating on the surging issue.

Gm Motorsport stated im probably leaving 20-30rwkw on the table with using the hsv style shorty headers. I don’t know if I’ll bother. Maybe one day if I got money burning a hole in my pocket.

The super stock cam is a winner very versatile. Slighly choppy idle and no noticeable loss in throttle response other than needing around 1200rpm to comfortably use 6th. When u hit about 3800 it pulls hard and builds all the way to about 6900. Made peak power at 6700.

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
Wow love a lazy 540i, E39 I am guessing and not cheap supercharging a BMW or doing anything on a BMW to be honest. Was looking for a E36M3 for about 10 years, spent a lot of money on pre purchase inspections which saved me alot of future headache and expense.

Glad you are wrapped with your results.

executer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V 2015
It’s like surging to 1500 then bouncing back a few times to it settles. When I’ve got it in neutral and coast gently down a hill (forwards or backwards) it also gives a surge. A few times.

It’s a very exciting car to drive now over 4000rpm where as before it was very dull in comparison.

It’s an exciting time at the moment. Just finally after a 2yr sturffing around period getting lots of mechanical things fixed in my manual bmw 540i with a vortech strapped to the side of it. Now i have 2x 300+ rwkw cars to drive. 1 for work the other for play. The bmw is more maniac as it is around 400kg lighter and shorter geared.

Makes me want some shorter gears in the VE Ute. I’ve tried 4.11 gears before and liked them but I went through 2 gear sets so I just gave up and put the 3.46 back in. I’ll leave them for now concentrating on the surging issue.

Gm Motorsport stated im probably leaving 20-30rwkw on the table with using the hsv style shorty headers. I don’t know if I’ll bother. Maybe one day if I got money burning a hole in my pocket.

The super stock cam is a winner very versatile. Slighly choppy idle and no noticeable loss in throttle response other than needing around 1200rpm to comfortably use 6th. When u hit about 3800 it pulls hard and builds all the way to about 6900. Made peak power at 6700.

I'm sure they'll sort it out mate. Mine doesn't surge at all and is smooth as a babies bum. Glad your liking the cam though. My car only hit 35k on the odo yesterday. I can't stop driving it. Can you upload a video so we can compare sounds?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Makes me want some shorter gears in the VE Ute. I’ve tried 4.11 gears before and liked them but I went through 2 gear sets so I just gave up and put the 3.46 back in.

Try and get a genuine 3.7 gear set. The available 3.9 and 4.11 gear sets are aftermarket, and usually whiney.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
When I sort out the surging I’ll do a video. Definetly needs shorter gears. When testing (in off road conditions of course) 2nd gear is pulling 129kmh at the cutout. Gearing may be good in NT or autobahn. Combined with heavy duty clutch and cam there is less give down low so loitering in the taller gears at low speeds are less possible than before.

I’m surprised at the level of grip i have with first gear pretty usable with power down even in the wet. It must be a combo of carriying weight in the back, tall gearing, and some very sticky pilot sport 4 tyres. Yesterday in heavy rain I could use full throttle after easing away from the lights and it just hooked up and went with no spasm from the traction control. Admittedly with a passenger and air conditioning going but would have thought from a rear drive near 500hp Ute this sort of activity was not possible.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
UPDATE:

Just installed on way home a genuine throttle body (silver flap one). Was exxy but seemed to drasticly reduce the surging issue. Seems to still play up occasionally when it’s idling and you roll away without throttle. But in general driving it’s much better. Early days but hope this sorts it.

Prob need to strongly think about low diff gears now. Maybe a nicer shifter too one of those ripshifters perhaps.